Hacking Which one of the Slot-1s saves "Supercard-style"?

ron555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Title says it all.

It seems like the slot 1's are getting slowly perfect, but one of the biggest things about the DS-backup solutions is the way they save.

I know the Supercard ONE (SCONE) saves just like the older supercards, meaning it saves IN-GAME (without saving it to RAM) and then saving to disk after restarting the DS.

Are there any other devices that do this?

Thanks

peepoop

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know the Supercard ONE (SCONE) saves just like the older supercards, meaning it saves IN-GAME (without saving it to RAM) and then saving to disk after restarting the DS.
Are there any other devices that do this?

I'm not sure about the answer to your question...

Not sure if you know this already, but if you patch your roms first with the Supercard DS Windows patcher it'll enable instant on-disk saving without you having to restart your DS every time.

I consider the 'restart to save' thing to be very annoying behavior when saving games, but I guess it can't be helped if you really want to use clean roms.

ron555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
peepoop,

So you HAVE to patch them in order to prevent the "restart to save" thing? Oh well, that negates the whole purpose of clean roms. lol

H8TR, thanks. That pretty much rules out the M3DSS and R4DS for me.
I hate this behavior, so I'm leaning more towards the SC DS One now
smile.gif

peepoop

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So you HAVE to patch them in order to prevent the "restart to save" thing? Oh well, that negates the whole purpose of clean roms. lol

That's how I understand it. Kind of makes me regret going with the SCDS (I ordered one but haven't received it yet). Although I was planning on patching them all already to enable the reset-to-menu anyway.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMHO, Slot1 is turning out to be not all that and a bag of chips after all. I hope Supercard keeps up its support for the SCLite, cuz for running NDS I still think its the best. Yeah, ya gotta patch roms to run from Slot2, but you get in-game reset to main menu, and direct-to-SD saving with SCLite. And its got speed like poop thru a goose.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I see it like this, most of you aren't going to drag and drop because you're just wasting space not trimming them so why not just patch it with the rest of the "Super" features..

I use both slots (Supercard1 and G6Lite).. S-1 for NDS with G6L for little NDS and more GBA.. Ah, good stuff

webez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Microninja also does direct save to save and doesn't need to reset. It also doesn't need a file to detect saves, it does it automatically.

mavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
M3DSS and R4DS don't save like that.

yeah they do
wink.gif

I have an EZ-V and an R4. The EZ-V writes the save to the microSD when you power on, which I HATE - the R4 writes directly to the mircoSD, when you save in game - it therefore boots faster and takes less time to load games (just like the old Supercard SD and miniSD) ...

Hope that helps!

mavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
IMHO, Slot1 is turning out to be not all that and a bag of chips after all. I hope Supercard keeps up its support for the SCLite, cuz for running NDS I still think its the best. Yeah, ya gotta patch roms to run from Slot2, but you get in-game reset to main menu, and direct-to-SD saving with SCLite. And its got speed like poop thru a goose.

I don't know - aside from the in-game reset (which I do in fact miss, a lot!) the R4 is a definate winner. Direct saving to microSD, great speed (even with a slow SD card) and a skinnable GUI. Not to mention true drag and drop, 100% compatibility (so far anyway), quick boot times and load times, automatic save file creation on-the-fly if no save exists, and a PassMe function that actually works. I have to say, I am REALLY impressed by this thing, much, MUCH more than I am by the EZV.

rkenshin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know - aside from the in-game reset (which I do in fact miss, a lot!) the R4 is a definate winner. Direct saving to microSD, great speed (even with a slow SD card) and a skinnable GUI. Not to mention true drag and drop, 100% compatibility (so far anyway), quick boot times and load times, automatic save file creation on-the-fly if no save exists, and a PassMe function that actually works. I have to say, I am REALLY impressed by this thing, much, MUCH more than I am by the EZV.

It's been mentioned before but the R4 doesn't direct save to the MicroSD, it needs to reboot to save..

CatScam

ScamaRama!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK now I’m confused, so the R4 is not saving directly to the
SD card but to bat first? Then why do they list it as one of the
R4’s features? #8 “Save directly to MicroSD card, not to onboard chip”?
wacko.gif

R4 DS Official Features List:
1· 2nd generation storage device (no booting tool required)
2· Flush fitting slot 1 card
3· Uses MicroSD card, FAT16 or 32
4· Supports any MicroSD card speed with no lag in game
5· Supports Clean ROM, drag and drop. Works on any OS
6· Built in NoPass
7· Automatically detect save type
8· Save directly to MicroSD card, not to onboard chip
9· Supports Moonshell and other homebrew. Open I/O interface
10· User friendly skinnable interface. Touchscreen or button operation
11· Supports rumble pak and memory pak

ron555

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I'm a little confused by the variation in the responses.

Does the R4 save directly to the SD card (just like the previous Supercard SD's did) with NO menu when you power on the unit to save?

mavis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

I'm a little confused by the variation in the responses.

Does the R4 save directly to the SD card (just like the previous Supercard SD's did) with NO menu when you power on the unit to save?

Yes, that's right. The R4 saves DIRECTLY to the microSD, just like the old Supercard SD did ... I actually OWN an R4 so I'm not just talking out of my ass here ...
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1