Which of these two distros do you think would be better

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Nimbus, Sep 29, 2010.

?

Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

1. Ubuntu

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Linux Mint

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Nimbus
    OP

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I've got a relative who wants to install Linux alongside Windows Vista on her computer. She has never used Linux before

I would like some opinions on which distro to have her install. Granted I want her to have a relatively pain free experience so I've listed the two most user friendly distros. I also should mention that I will probably have her use Gnome since it's a little more new-user friendly

She uses a Toshiba Sattelite
    ~It is about 3 years old
    ~Has 1GB of ram,
    ~Will have a 500GB SATA drive soon.
    ~Single Core Processor
    ~32-Bit

Mint
    +Easier to configure post-install, since propriatary codecs, flash, etc are installed with the OS
    +Somewhat cleaner in appearance
    +Compatible with Ubuntu repositories
    ~Her Wireless card may work out of the Box
    -Harder to update, since it doesn't really give a convenient way to upgrade from one version to another via an Update Manager. Meaning you usually would need to download the iso of the new release and install it that way.

Ubuntu
    +Easy to upgrade from one version to another
    +Easier to find support for
    +Craploads of packages
    +Her Wireless card worked out of the box on a Live CD
    -Not as easy for a new user to post-configure, since propriatary codecs, flash, etc are not installed by default. Although it can be done via Ubuntu software center.

So yeah, just voice your opinions on this. Please do not suggest a distro that isn't listed here though.

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    If it is for those who just started out using Linux, go with Linux Mint. It pretty much has everything setup out of box (including those annoying multimedia setup).

Also, I don't recommend using upgrading system. Reason being that because Linux changes so radically from one version to next, upgrading it might break it. I always reinstall my Linux should another new version released.

If you don't want to reinstall I suggest you look into rolling release based distro. Although they are much harder to setup and use.

3. Jiggah

Member Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Linux Mint is a branch of Ubuntu i.e. they are practically the same thing. Mint comes with a lot of the restricted repositories in play which means easier to get multimedia stuff up and running. With Ubuntu, you'd have to go install a lot of that stuff yourself, but it's completely doable. However, because Linux Mint is based off Ubuntu, it's always behind in terms of release. With Ubuntu 10.10 around the corner, you'll have to wait a bit until a comparable version of Linux Mint is released.

Go with Mint, since it'll be easier to set everything up.