Which of these Gamecube USB adapters is the best?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Harsky, May 11, 2014.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    After finally updating my PC and trying out the dolphin emulator, I finally realised that it's definately an emulator I can see myself using a lot more. At first I used a PS3 controller to play some of the games until I realised that I really miss the Gamecube controller. Especially in games like Mario Sunshine where the pressure of the shoulder triggers can affect how the game is played.

So should I get this adapter or this one? Reviews on them seem to vary a lot but I'm wondering if anyone here has tried them.

2. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Magic Joy Box works wonders for me.

You should probably buy the second one if you play with friends.

3. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Just curious but does that one mean that games like Mario Sunshine detects how far the shoulder buttons are pressed?

4. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    I use a Raphnet N64/GC combo adapter, and it works pretty well. It supports analog L/R and rumble just fine.
    The control stick, C-Stick, and analog L/R all feel a tad off, though I hear that with some configuration shenanigans, they feel just like console.

5. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Will work as long as everything is up to date.

6. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I haven't had any issues using the second one you mention in your post.

7. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Once again, any problems detecting the pressure applied to the shoulder buttons?

8. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I've mostly just used it with Dolphin, but I can't say I've noticed any such issues at all. From what I remember Dolphin's default values had to be slightly calibrated to properly detect when the shoulder buttons were completely pushed to the bottom, but it always detected pressure just fine.

9. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    The one you linked here is the one I currently use. It's really great because it doesn't require any third party drivers at all, just plug and play. I was genuinely surprised and impressed by this. It also supports all functions, including the analog and digital should buttons.

To point out, though, the controllers do not fit tight into the available sockets so it's easy for them to pull/fall out and take some wiggling to sit correctly. Also note that although this dongle supports 2 wired controllers, it is only able to support one Wavebird at a time. See my post here for more info.

Hope that helps.

10. rctgamer3

rctgamer3 GBAtemp Fan

May 5, 2008
    Netherlands
    To answer your question: Get neither.
    I've been using Bruno Freitas' USB RetroPad Adapter for ages and he even sells an adaptor for the Wii (which basically lets you play with a NGC controller on you WiiU). It's awesome, and it supports NES, SNES, PSX/PS2, GameCube, N64, Neo GeoCD and Sega Saturn controllers.

Shipping was really fast btw.

11. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    From what I've read only some of those units suffers from said issue with controllers not sitting flush. Mine doesn't have it, but I might have gotten lucky.