Which new cell phone to get?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by TheNeck, Nov 23, 2008.

?

Which new cell phone to get?

1. Blackberry Storm

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. T-Mobile G1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Iphone3G

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Nov 23, 2008

Which new cell phone to get? by TheNeck at 7:36 PM (3,101 Views / 0 Likes) 38 replies

1. TheNeck
    OP

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It doesn't matter to me which provider i have to get, i'm open to all of them.

I just want people's opinion which of these 3 cell phones is the best.

2. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    i want to get the iphone simply cuz of the gimmiky touch screen. i won't transfer my music or pic collection (drains battery life too much, have mp3 player seperatly) to it or use it for the net (until swype comes out typing is too much of a chore).

i belive cellphones should be used as such: simply cellphones.

3. Foxle

Member Foxle GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I personally love my iPhone 3G. The G1 and Android are interesting, but at this point the platform is not very mature, and the G1 lacks simple things like a headphone jack. Reports are coming in now that the Storm's also a bit rough around the edges, and not a good consumer phone.

4. TheNeck
    OP

United States
    What exactly do i need a heaphone jack for? just wondering?

5. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Listening music?!
    Some mobiles use only special connections for earphones, and some use standard phone jacks!

Also, iTouch 3G is the most "appealing" one, and everyone is talking abut it, so it would maybe be the best to get that one...But I really don't know nothing about current mobiles..
    10 days ago I was still using Sony J-70

6. Foxle

United States
    The point of so called "Smart Phones" is to replace a lot of the devices and tasks you do with one device. You're paying a premium to have a single device which can take pictures, do your email, watch YouTube, do Google map results, play music, surf the web, update your Twitter status, listen to streaming internet radio, take notes, IM, keep up on your eBay watch list, replace your graphing calculator...

If you fall under the theory that "It's just a phone and all I need it to do is make calls" then you shouldn't be in the market for any of the aforementioned phones. Your money would probably be better spent on whatever quote unquote "Feature Phone" the clerk happens to be selling that day. A feature phone is a phone which is designed around one or two simple tasks, such as being small, having a good camera, or being able to text message well.

Just because everyone is talking about a particular phone doesn't mean that it's right for you. Oh, and as far as what nin10do was saying, the iPhone can play music for 24 hours straight without dying, so the battery life is fine as long as you charge it very night.

7. DrKupo

Banned DrKupo Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp

United States
  8. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    I liked the Blackberry Storm it looks good but the Iphone is hackable so I would have to go with the Iphone.

9. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    Have you ever taken a look at the Nokia N95? I would recommend that. It has a really nice camera.

10. Vincent T

Member Vincent T GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    iPhone..

11. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    uh, there is a cheap adapter available....

I would go with the G1, simply because it is far more open. no having to jailbreak it etc.

and it actually has a usable keyboard!

12. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    black berry storm ftw [​IMG]

13. Foxle

United States
    I'm not really a fan of having to use a dongle for such a simple feature. While Android is nice and open, Google used it's openness as an excuse to not code some basic functions like a movie player. I'm not saying that the platform is all that bad, it just needs a year or so to get all the kinks worked out of it (Like the iPhone OS has had).

14. TheNeck
    OP

United States
    My friend has the G1, and he loves it so far. I will see him on thanksgiving, so i can check it out.

15. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    I personally recommend a Windows Mobile device with a decent QWERTY keyboard
    There are a LOT of good apps out there for WM [​IMG]

16. Pizzaroo

Member Pizzaroo douchebag

United States
    I currently own an iPhone 3G (non-jailbroken) and I love it! make sure to get the app fring if you get one, you can use it at a wifi spot to use VOIP.

EDIT: and jailbroken phones can do a lot more, like tether a phone to a laptop to use 3G on the laptop, and use VOIP over 3G.

17. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    urg, this has to be the only suggestion here worse than the iphone

I have had to put up with a WM device for years, buggy, crashes, and slow

18. Ducky

Member Ducky QUACKJECTION!

Israel
    PLEASE Get a simple phone with , send and recive , Thats what i've got and nobody even thinks of stealing my phone. Works perfect , Its also throwable [​IMG]

19. notnarb

Member notnarb Not narbing it up

If you arent going to be doing any music playback, I would recommend the G1. The only true advantage I see the iphone having over the G1 is the dedicated audio chip, lowering battery drain while decoding music. Apps for the iPhone must be coded in C minus, a language that is unheard of outside of development for apple operating systems, while apps for android are coded in java, a widely used language by professionals and amateurs alike.

It's only a matter of time before people get tired of apple's bullshit

20. go185

Member go185 GBAtemp Regular

I suggest the Storm, mainly cause it is running on the fastest carrier in terms of Data in the USA, Verizon EVDO Rev. A, and has dual band CDMA/EVDO, Quad-band GSM/EDGE, and single-band 3G HSDPA. (truely, a World Phone).

Also doesn't have all the faults that the iPhail has, such as the bad camera, lack of MMS, lack of video recording outside of 3rd party apps, ect.

the G1 as a phone is good, but the carrier was a poor choice. T-Mobile doesn't have near the amount of 3G connectivity as Verizon does, hell, not even as much as AT&T, and thats saying something.

Both the Storm and the iPhail support DUN (using the phone as a modem to connect to the cellular network to browse the net on a PC), but the fastest speeds lie in the Storm.

Only if they just put the G1 on Verizon and included EVDO Rev. A =(