Which N64 Emulator do you use and why?

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In others words, compatibility, performance, graphics and sound and what versions of the plugins you guys use, etc! The point of this post is to help those who are interested in looking for and N64 emulator but don't know where to turn or start (minus all the tutorials and crap that are on the net, because it can take a while to sort through it and get a lead) but would rather hear peoples own opinions and thoughts on what they like to use - well that's the idea for the post at least lol. Me personally, I like hearing what other people use and prefer and why, so you can add me to that list lol :D

Note: I'm aware there are some people that prefer older versions the emulators below, so it can be any version that you use guys k, just explain why, and pls if I happened to have forgotten one below feel free to post it and I will add it to the list :D

Also Note: (It can be any version of the emulator as there seems to be allot of different branches for some or all of these) :D

On that note these are our champions ->
  • PJ64 (Project64)
  • MESS
  • Mupen64
  • Soft64
  • Bizhawk
  • Cen64
I am aware that these 3 aren't being worked on any more, at least to my knowledge but some people may prefer them over the ones above :D
  1. UltraHLE
  2. Nemu64
  3. Daedalus

As Always Thanks For the Time To Respond and the Feed back, It's Always Appreciated guys :D

Last edited by Centrix,

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Project 64k, and that is just for online play for games. The online play is nice, but otherwise i just use my real n64 console.

jDSX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like 1964 a lot actually, I have played the big ones (pj64, mupen64 etc) and I never really play on them as much like I do with 1964 even if some of the games run like crap on my computer, I still think it's got best compatibility but project64 has more options and is more updated. Overall I tend to stick to both respectively

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
CEN64 would be my favorite by far if it weren't so slow even on my powerful PC.
My backup is PJ64 1.7 with Angrylion's RDP or GlideN64.

Really though, N64 emulation is still terrible in comparison to almost every other platform in existence.
I just don't emulate it that often because of that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
PJ64 on PC, and SuperN64 on Android. (Mupen64 port/fork)

I still have yet to find an N64 emulator that correctly renders the sky textures in Goldeneye (instead of them being solid black), or being able to play Perfect Dark in a full 1024x768 without massive slowdown. (I have a GTX 750 1GB, good enough for most emulators)

Last edited by Jayro,

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You see, I would really like to be like, "Hey bud did you see how smoothly and perfectly OOT and Majora's Mask ran on PJ64 and Mupen64 Plus and he'd be like yeah its come along way" but nope still waiting for some one to just make an emulator that does what its meant to do play games, with out all the plugins but yes I am aware that this is probably just a fever dream as the N64 was one of the hardest systems to code for and reverse engineer!

What puzzles me is the Saturn emulator another system that was hard to code for and turn into an emulator actually plays most games fine with out any hassles, well at least for me any ways lol so why not the N64 emulators? then we have that GLide64 plugin kickstarter which was supposed to if I am not mistaken fix and correct allot of issues and finally give us near perfect emulation for N64 - well as perfect as one can get with N64 lol

Personally I have been eyeing Cen64.git and hope it does what all these other emulators seem to struggle with. Not sure where Soft64 sits in the pool of N64 emulators yet as I can't seem to get to run anything which tells me it is a work in progress and not able to run anything yet out side of homebrew lol :D

Last edited by Centrix,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I would love it if an Emulator for the N64 came out that focused on accuracy AND speed, like the pSX emulator for PS1. It only ran at the native resolution, offered no graphical enhancements whatsoever, and played most every PS1 game I had without any issues. The funny thing is the PS1 and N64 had VERY similar MIPS-based RISC CPUs, with the N64's barely being better. Barely. Yet it's a much more difficult machine to emulate for whatever reason.

Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

nonosto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dear

For 1080p and 60 FPS I would like to install GlideN64 plugins. I Install it but when I launch a game I have a black screen, only sound.
I have a HP laptop with I5 and direct X11.

Could you help me please?

thanks

FilfthyFrank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1964 Ultrafast v3 because 60FPS. Surprised Project64 didn't implement the overclocking feature, pretty sure it's open source...they say they're working on it in a thread though. Even if it's super old it's still compatible with all the games I run and Project64's installer is riddled with malware/adware, no thank you, I won't suffer the hassle of ridding my PC of the malware spread by the installer.

Edrian

Commercial Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Project64 mostly. I haven't tried out any others yet because as I remember Project64 being almost the first thing when I looked up "N64 Emulator". It does really ok and I could play most games nicely. I've been looking to use some other emulator with better performance so I might switch.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm