Which modchip to get for a wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TheNeck, May 25, 2008.

1. TheNeck
    OP

TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2007
    United States
    Southern California
    My nephews wii is only 1 month old and according to wii tracker, 50% it is a GC2-D2C with no cut pins.

I have a wiikit in a 1st gen wii, so im not sure which modchip to get. Im thinking a D2Ckey or D2Cpro with a wii clip. What do you think?

2. rommy667

rommy667 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2008
    Down the road around the corner
    D2CPRO [​IMG]

3. darkriku197

darkriku197 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2008
    United States
    D2Cpro is a clone of D2Ckey i think. D2Ckey is a good chip but D2Pro is the better of the two. Also if he has the newer chip set i dont think d2ckey will work with it, i could be wrong i haven't been checking up on it recently.

4. teq

teq GBAtemp Maniac

May 13, 2008
    United States
    There was an article recently explaining how to modify the D2Ckey to turn it into a Pro. Apparently it just takes a few extra wires. However, as far as I know, the only difference is that the Pro has developer features.

He said the Wii was one of the first few released, so it'll work with it.

Though, I have to ask.... why not go with WiiFree or YAOSM? You could build several chips and programmers for the price of one D2Ckey.

5. darkriku197

darkriku197 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2008
    United States
    "My nephews wii is only 1 month old and according to wii tracker, 50% it is a GC2-D2C with no cut pins"

I think that means they were talking about modding their nephews wii and that the wii that they already have is a first gen and don't know about current modchips?

6. TheNeck
    OP

TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2007
    United States
    Southern California
    Yes I have no idea about current modchips, but it looks like i might get the D2Cpro, if i do, what is the D2Prog used for exactly? And thanks for the help everybody.

7. SenorClean

SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2008
    If it's one month old, and you're in the USA. There's a fair chance that it's a D2C2 wii - so you are best off waiting a week or so and ordering one of the new D2Pros which support this.

Only D2Pro-9 supports D2C2 (so far anyway)... and is significantly easier to install than the 15+ wire installs. 9 wire chips only need 3 wires soldered to chip legs. Soldering to chip legs is tricky - especially if you haven't done it before.

D2Prog allows you to flash the chip in to aother using JTAG - D2Pro9 supports dvd update though, so this probably won't be needed.

YAOSM nor WiiFree support D2C at all - this is not an option.

The serial tracker is quite wrong. There is a 100% chance it's a D2C and a 0% chance legs are cut. No D2C chips have cut legs - because the old serial port isn't there to begin with.

I'm still a bit weary of clips... Personally, I'd much rather have a wired, soldered install. Installation of 9-wire chips by professionals shouldn't break the bank.

8. TheNeck
    OP

TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2007
    United States
    Southern California
    Can the D2Pro9 be used with the wii clip?

9. SenorClean

SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2008
    Yes - Wiiclip V4C is for 9 wire d2pro.

Wasabi have announced their new revision today... which will apparently work with Korean/Noisy/D2C2 wiis. It may be worth a look too - especially if it is released before the new D2Pro revision is.

10. TheNeck
    OP

TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2007
    United States
    Southern California
    Thanks for the info, i will wait a week or 2 and see which one comes out first.

11. TheNeck
    OP

TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

Jun 27, 2007
    United States
    Southern California
    Is the version 2.0 the version im looking for? I see that Modchipcentral has them in stock.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice