Which microSDHC?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by SP0RK, Dec 16, 2007.

Dec 16, 2007

Which microSDHC? by SP0RK at 9:46 AM (767 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. SP0RK

Newcomer SP0RK Member

Aug 9, 2007
    United States
    I just upgraded to a CycloDS (3rd batch) after having used an R4 for a while and am enjoying it so far (although I do miss the spring-loaded microSD slot on the R4 [​IMG]). Although it's only been a day, I haven't had any issues with it so far and hopefully won't encounter any in the future. Thought I'd give a quick first impression since I've been hearing about a lot of dead on arrivals with the latest batch. [​IMG]

Anyways, onto the main topic..

Now that I've got microSDHC compatibility, I want to make full use of it but can't decide on which one to buy. I don't know a whole lot about them and after a quick search came up with these (in order of preference, from most to least desired):
    A-DATA 4gb - Class 6
    Sandisk 6gb - Class 4
    Toshiba 4gb - Couldn't find out what Class this one was..
    Sandisk 4gb - Class 2

The A-DATA 4gb by far seems like it would be the best deal because it's not only the cheapest but also has Class 6 speed. Right now I'm leaning more towards that one but I don't know much about any of these brands or microSDHCs in general. The Sandisk 6gb also strikes interest because it offers 6gb of space but is only a Class 4. I don't really know if the differences between the Classes are all that important so I might be placing too much emphasis on that when looking at the cards. Anyways, those two are the ones I'm really debating between right now.

Is there anything I should be wary about when choosing between these brands? Am I placing too much focus on the Class of the device? Are there any other microSDHCs out there that I should check out?

Any other advice that can help me make a better decision on which card to purchase would be appreciated. [​IMG]
  2. rayden

Newcomer rayden Member

Sep 21, 2006
    The Class reflects the minimum write speed on an empty card (e.g. Class 4 = 4MB/s). Any Class 4 card should work just fine - I got a Kingston 4GB Class 4 and it works great.

4 or 6 GB? Well that's also the question I had. In the end I figured the 6GB version is still rather expensive and 4GB IS quite some disk space (I've got 45 games on mine and it's only half full) - so, decide for yourself if the extra space is worth the money, and of course, enjoy your Cyclo [​IMG]

3. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

Dec 17, 2006
    I was here... before...
    For price and performance i will wait for next year Class6-8 japanese cards. ( the reading speed are getting better & better than the minimal specs ... just look back what happened to previous standards ... )

I'm still using "cheap" 1 & 2 GB kingston cards ... since they are reliable, fast, and it is better to keep backup on another card ...
  4. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 10, 2007
    United States
    The A-Data 4 Class 6 or the Sandisk 6 Class 4.