Gaming Which microSD cards to buy for Photofast?

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to get two 16gb microSD cards, but I've heard of lag in the XMB and stuff when using a photofast adapter instead of a regular memory stick. Which two microSD cards can I buy that will be fast enough so that I don't have that lag? Price does not matter.

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The higher the class number, (speed rating for reads and writes) the better you'll be. Another thing to help with lag if you run into it, is to disable magicgate on the psp. The easiest way to do this is by using irshell and disabling it in the config options, once you disable it, you can stop autobooting irshell or remove it if you do not like it.

Tranquil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does magicgate and IRshell do? Do I even have IRshell? I have CFW 5.00 m33 thing.

And does anyone know of any actual two specific microSD cards that won't have any lag? Which are the fastest ones? I'm sure there's a lot of people with two 16gb microsd cards.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MagicGate is the software/hardware that Sony uses for protected content. You will have lag issues with any microsd you use since none of them are magicgate compatible (unless you disable magicgate). Large MicroSDs are still pretty expensive, you might be better off looking on ebay for some 16GB Memory Stick pro Duos. I think Radioshack has some 8GB ones for pretty cheap right now too.

Fyga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disabling the MagicGate is only if you experience the lag foxgrey was talking about, so you don't have to worry about that until you use it. I never ran into the problem, and even people from Sony's own boards rarely experience it: Review. And you don't have IRshell yet, it's a homebrew he's telling you to grab if you had lag issues.

I'm actually currently using what you have planned, Photofast CR-5400 + 2 16GB Kingston microSD & never any issues major or minor.

Before I bought it there was a forum (thought it was psp-hacks) that had a thread w/ speed tests using BlackSpeed homebrew & despite all the different sizes, Kingston performed better than others of the same size in both reading & writing from the MS. It was why I chose these

EDIT: Found the thread here, so Kingston is generally more above average than the rest; I can test mine later

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
0ld8oy said:
MagicGate is the software/hardware that Sony uses for protected content. You will have lag issues with any microsd you use since none of them are magicgate compatible (unless you disable magicgate). Large MicroSDs are still pretty expensive, you might be better off looking on ebay for some 16GB Memory Stick pro Duos. I think Radioshack has some 8GB ones for pretty cheap right now too.

i thoughgt 16gb microsd, non knockoff, were about 40 to 50 dollars each on average.

Fyga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, never paid less than that or more than $54 actually (gone through 4 so far for various things).

Plus, as he said in the first post:
Tranquil said:
Price does not matter.
Comparing Photofast to MS though, Photofast usually saves a buyer $10-25 (i.e. adapter + 2 8GBs cheaper than 16GB MS). And at this time this is the only way for 32GB anyway (29GB after formatting), or to get a little extra like 24GB, 20GB, etc.
As far as I know, lag issues are only dominant when using fake adapters/microSDs (the speed test link demos that a little)

djricekcn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fyga said:
Yeah, never paid less than that or more than $54 actually (gone through 4 so far for various things).

Plus, as he said in the first post:
Tranquil said:
Price does not matter.
Comparing Photofast to MS though, Photofast usually saves a buyer $10-25 (i.e. adapter + 2 8GBs cheaper than 16GB MS). And at this time this is the only way for 32GB anyway (29GB after formatting), or to get a little extra like 24GB, 20GB, etc.
As far as I know, lag issues are only dominant when using fake adapters/microSDs (the speed test link demos that a little)

it should be 29gb-ish even before formatting also I am going to assume write speed is slow too since it has no Magic Gate.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo