Which Laptop CPU would you choose for gaming?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Lodis, Mar 24, 2009.

Mar 24, 2009
  1. Lodis
    OP

Member Lodis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Which out of the following two specs do you think will be better for gaming?

I will be playing games like GTA IV, Left For dead, Crysis, Crysis Warhead, Supreme Commander, GTA SA, Saints Row 2, Far Cry 2, Assasins Creed, Brothers In Arms - Hells Highway, COD4, Mass Effect, World In Conflict, Scarface, Company Of Heroes and Age Of Empires 3.

The Operating System will be Windows XP Pro SP3.

1)

Intel Core 2 Duo T9800 Dual Core Processor 2.93 Ghz, 6MB Cache
    GPU GTX 260M 1GB DDR3
    3GB DDR3 RAM
    500GB 5400 RPM Sata - II 8MB Cache

or

2)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000 Processor 2.0 GHz, 6MB Cache
    GPU GTX 260M 1GB DDR3
    3GB DDR3 RAM
    500GB 5400 RPM Sata - II 8MB Cache

2. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    I would go with the first option, reason being theres hardly anything out there that takes advantage of a quad core cpu. So in real terms the dual core would be better for gaming. And also if your going for a gaming machine I would get a faster HDD, all your other specs are great but 5400rpm is crap, go for at least a 7200rpm drive. A slow HDD will really bottleneck your performance no matter how fast your CPU and GPU are.

3. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    also, u might consider gettin 64 bit xp. that extra ram might come useful in the future, but for now 3 is sufficient.

4. Lodis
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the responses, very interesting. I know out of all of the games I mentioned, the one that will benefit from a Quad Core would be GTA IV.

Do you guys think GTA IV would run well (after patching) using the Intel Core 2 Duo T9800 Dual Core Processor 2.93 Ghz, 6MB Cache?

I know that the GTX260M is a very capable GPU and supposedly outperforms a 9800M but I hope the Dual Cores will not lower GTA IV's performance too much.

Of course I know that GTA IV is one of the worst optimised ports ever created in the history of mankind.

5. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    well i can run gta with no lag (patched like a bitch though) with a core 2 duo 2.0.
    so ur 2.93 should destroy it. but like u said, its a pretty shitty port, so don't go out of your trouble to make it run on high

6. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    What da_head said.

Also dont worry, a laptop with those sort of specs will be an epic gaming machine. There shouldnt be anything out there you wont be able to run well. (unless its a crap port like GTA as da_head said)

7. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    Are laptops really great for gaming? Never saw a GPU that's quite that strong. Probably due to the fact that i've been told many times that a laptops aren't a good system to play games on, in general.

8. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Laptops have evolved as a gaming laptop in the past few years. The laptop he wants will probably be able to run crysis max at a high resolution (just not 1080p), and destroy everything else.

9. Cablephish

Member Cablephish Show me...

Canada
    Damn, but those must cost a pretty penny... Wish I had money to burn... Or rather spend on gaming laptops...

10. Lodis
    OP

United States

Laptop gaming will always be expensive but you can customise a lot as well as spread the cost out over a number of months instead of paying all in one go.

It is obvious that desktops are and will always be better for gaming but I like to be able to play my games where ever I am when I go on short trips or to a friends house. I really enjoy gaming less if I have to be stuck behind a desk.

11. Lodis
    OP

United States

The high end gaming laptops have Dual GPUs (SLI), and up to 3.0 Ghz Quad Cores. I have even seen one that will be out in April that has an i7 Quad Core 64 Bit and a GTX 280M. Laptops are a serious gaming platform now but only if you know where to look and know what to look for. It is easy to make mistakes such as buying a laptop with a DDR2 based GPU as opposed to DDR3 or a GPU with a lot of VRAM but not enough bits to actually make use of it i.e 128 Bit.

The laptop I will be getting is also upgradeable (MXM), so I still have the option of using a different GPU or CPU later on.

After reading the responses I have decided to go for the 2.93 Ghz Core 2 Duo and not the Quad Core. If anyone wants me to test any games performance when I get this laptop, feel free to let me know.

I might use fraps to put a few clips up on youtube if fraps doesn't lower the fps during recording too much.

12. Lodis
    OP

United States

Yea, that laptop has some great specs but especially considering that it is a 15.4 inch screen / chassis.

13. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
  14. Lodis
    OP

United States

I read that entire thread and it seems that most think a higher clocked dual core is the way to go. The problem is the low 2.0 Ghz of the Q9000 vs the 2.93 Ghz of the Core 2 Duo. What is your Quad machine, what clock rate is it?

15. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
    mine is 9850 BE 2.5@3.0 (@default voltage [​IMG] )
    you are right, even to me, 2.0 Ghz is bothersome. however, all up to you. good luck! [​IMG]

16. Lodis
    OP

United States
    I have managed to get the option of configuring that 15.4 '' gaming Laptop with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9100 2.26GHz 1066FSB 12MB Cache. That should go nicely with the GTX260M 1GB DDR3 and 3GB RAM.

The reseller said that they will test this to make sure it is stable since only the Q9000 is officially supported in that chassis. I think that CPU is about the best I can get of both worlds in such a compact chassis. A really good compromise.