Which kit is the best?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by mrbeer, Mar 14, 2007.

Mar 14, 2007

Which kit is the best? by mrbeer at 10:41 PM (1,340 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. mrbeer
    OP

Newcomer mrbeer Newbie

Netherlands
    Hello there,

I have been reading all kinds of reviews and found out that I want some kit like the R4DS/EZ-Flash V or any other kit that fits my requirements:

-Good DS compatibility
    -Good GBA compatibility
    -Not interested in homebrew
    -Movie/music/other console compatibility optional
    -Decent
    -Well priced

Could you share your thoughts and experiences with what kit to go for and why?

Thanks in advance,

mrbeer

2. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    R4DS and any other Slot1 cartridges don't have GBA compatibility at all.
    There however is an expansion slot2 cart for EZ-V that can be used to play GBA games on it (NDS Lite only!), you then transfer the GBA rom from your MicroSD in EZ-V to the slot2 expansion, however this is quite slow, so if you want to switch the GBA game you want to play a lot, this is not an ideal solution.
    So for good compatibility with GBA roms you need a Slot2 cart, the best carts for GBA compatibility are EZ-Flash IV and M3 Perfect. M3 costs a lot more, but supports pokémon gba rom real time clock. If you don't care about those 3 roms, then EZ Flash IV is probably the better choice.
    To play NDS stuff from a slot2 cart, you need a passcard though (or a slot1 device).

So if you have a DS Lite and just play one GBA game for a while untill you want to check out another one, the EZ-Flash V bundle is fine for you.
    If you have a DS Phat or want to keep switching the GBA game you want to play without waiting to long, you should get a EZ-Flash IV with an EZ-Pass (or a slot1 cart).

3. mrbeer
    OP

Newcomer mrbeer Newbie

Netherlands
    The expansion you are talking about is the 3-in-1 expansion pack with rumble, ram and so on? I was thinking of that one as well. But one thing you stated gave me a doubt. Is the expansion only being supported by the NDS Lite? I have a regular NDS so that would be quite a disappointment.

The EZ-Flash V bundle sounds best so far.

4. Monkey01

Netherlands
    So yeah, it unfortunately is DS Lite only. [​IMG]

5. mrbeer
    OP

Newcomer mrbeer Newbie

Netherlands
    Damn, the EZ-Flash V really looks nice. But I don't want to spend more than 100$ so buying a new NDS Lite and the EZ-Flash V is not an option. Therefor I must reconsider the necessity of GBA compatibility.

Is the EZ-Flash IV a decent alternative for the EZ-Flash V? If so what do I miss when 'downgrading' the option? And isn't there a possibility for combining two different kits so I have GBA and DS games support cheaply?

Thanks again for your fast replies.

Regards,

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    If you don't need the Opera browser, I would recommend the EZFlash4 with a Passcard. $60 including shipping. 100% GBA and DS support, no lagging in games.

7. Monkey01

Netherlands
    Mk4 key is out of stock , we will send superkey or passcard3 instead.

.. Do they actually work with EZ4? I've heard that the newer versions won't cause of the new boot logo...
    Also nice bundle,
    Passcard3+EZ4 Bundle: AUD$66
    Passcard3: AUD$21
    EZ4: AUD$39
    Together: AUD$60
    So the bundle actually costs more then the seperated stuff. [​IMG]

8. mrbeer
    OP

Newcomer mrbeer Newbie

Netherlands
    Okay thanks for your recommendations again. I think I will alter my requirements a little bit. The GBA compatibility isn't that necessary: there aren't many options for me to have both good NDS and GBA support. Thus I'm considering the R4DS/M3 simply in cooperation with a Kingston micro SD 1 GB made in Japan.

Anyone against these options? Which one will have better support in the near future, R4DS/M3 simply? Is it most likely that there will be GBA support after all? There isn't much difference between the two, but are both durable?

Next to that I'm sure I want to buy that micro SD, whether I need it for my future kit or I don't. Where can I get the best deal? - It has to be shipped to the Netherlands - I have seen the combi-pack at dealextreme.com: only $43 for R4DS and the Kingston 1GB micro SD, including shipment. It's a nice deal, but I dislike their only payment option PayPal.

Regards,

9. Monkey01

Netherlands
    Hmmwell, R4 is one update ahead of M3 Simply at the moment, and it most of the time is just a little bit cheaper, so from those 2 choose R4.
    The Kingston MicroSD's are a problem though. There are Japanese and Taiwanese Kingston MicroSD's and you randomly get either of them. The Taiwanese is pretty sucky, but with the exeption of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruins, R4 handles it pretty good, the Castlevania will however freeze a lot with it.
    You can also search for Toshiba or PNY MicroSD's which are the same as the Japanese ones and don't have a stupid Taiwanese piece of crap under the same name.

Euw the dealextreme tells it's Japanese... well just get that one, great deal. [​IMG]

About the paypal stuff: This is with almost all flashcart shops, so I think it's best to just make a paypal account and pay with that.

10. mrbeer
    OP

Newcomer mrbeer Newbie

Netherlands
    Okay I am about to order my R4DS, as soon as my money hits my Paypal account I will. Hopefully, it'll rock!

11. W hat

Member W hat Rhythm Heaven Fan

United States
    You actually don't need Paypal, click "Pay with paypal" and scroll to the bottom to see "or other credit cards"

*no guarantee, but I saw that when I checked out

12. mrbeer
    OP

Newcomer mrbeer Newbie

Netherlands
    Thought that as well. But when you proceed it will ask you to make a PayPal account anyway.

13. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    PayPal is safer than giving your credit card info around. Nothing wrong with PayPal.