Which kind of platform game you prefer to play.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by test84, Jul 29, 2008.

?

Which one.

1. An action packed platformer with lots of shooting and jumping, like GENESIS's Shinobi games.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. a less action platformer but still has game-ish gameplay like collecting coins but isnt heavily on k

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. a more atmospheric game that delivers atmosphere and tries to play with your emotions like faer, pri

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. test84
    OP

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    Hi,
    I was planning for my game and since I was arguing with myself for the whole week about which kind of gameplay I would like and which one the people, decided to finally make a poll and ask you guiz.

2. MC DUI

MC DUI GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 30, 2003
    Newcastle, Australia
    I have enjoyed all of them over the years, but I must say I prefer the Mario/Sonic type best as you actually get a second every now and then to take a breath. With the more action orientated ones you get enemies thrown at you constantly and IMO it becomes a chore.

3. SavageWaffle

SavageWaffle GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 13, 2008
    United States
    New York
    War-based,

4. TeenDev

TeenDev GBAtemp's Original Hipster

Apr 29, 2007
    United States
    action packed FTW!

5. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
    I like all type really. I like most genres and sub-genres. I voted Mario style though since I'm a fan.

6. Doomsday Forte

Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2007
    United States
    Hmm, I haven't really had much exposure to the actiony platformers (that I know of), but I do like the Mario and some Sonic ones. I haven't played much of Knytt (though I have an old beta, oh wow) but I did enjoy what little I played of it. Just...exploring, so to speak.

One of my favorite platformers was Cave Story, which I suppose combines Knytt with action.

7. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I love Mario style games. Banjo-Kazooie (which is my favorite game of all time), is the perfect example of choice #2.

8. test84
    OP

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    Thanks to all answers, keep 'em coming.

9. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    My ideal platformer would be the last option, but with lots of segments like the first option interspersed throughout.

10. Twiffles

Twiffles танковые победы

Sep 6, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Lack of a "hybrids" choice. Otherwise, it depends on my mood. Mostly "Mario-type" games. I like RPGs more though, wherever that falls into.

11. test84
    OP

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    Its kinda sad, I was/am going to make the 3rd type described in the question that has least votes in.

So how come games like Indigo Prohecy/Fahrenheit sold too much? they didnt fall into commercial type games and they intended to deliver more emotion/atmosphere than other competitors but sold well and anticipated a lot by critics too.

12. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    Don't trust polls too much. People don't really want what they think they want. If you're going to make a game, make the game you want to make.

It probably won't turn out how you invisioned it, but make it anyway. If you work hard and you're lucky, 5 games down the line they will be turning out how you want them to.

13. test84
    OP

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    yeah, Thankx bot, I'm gonna make the one I want but its strange that what I have in mind (vagually) doesnt even have half the features of my engine!

14. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    I enjoy games like N+. The kind where you get flips'n'shit. Wall jumping, hanging, triangle jumps, slides. Things that look fucking cool. I will play through those like nothing else.

(i picked the second option [​IMG])

15. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    For 2D, whatever Lost Winds falls under.

For 3D, the same, Psychonauts

16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I enjoy plateform RPG games like Metroid, castlevania SotN, Faxanadu, Wonderboy III or Battle of olympus [​IMG] (there are really old game that genre)

(I don't know the games you mentioned in your last choice)