PS1/2 Which is the preferred method of PS2 modding?

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I called him up and he said it's actually a MAX (never looked like one when I saw it that one time). I remember seeing a tut going in detail with the MAX. Anybody know where that was? I heard there was a MAX Evo as well. Any differences between the 2 for the procedure?

EDIT: I found it. It seems outdated. Mind verifying for me?

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
Devil May Cry said:
Whew, that was close. I could copy/paste the part I want to know about. That better?
Sure just don't tell us where you got it.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

Anyways, here's the tutorial (NOTE: There were pics but they don't show up):

You will need:

- Action Replay Max (or any other method of copying save games from a usb stick to a ps2 memory card such as gameshark, codebreaker/xploder, XPort etc, only the details for Ar Max will be outlined though)

- PS2 + PS2 Memory card + Any genuine, retail PSX Game (95% of psx games should work, psx game has to have the same region as the ps2)

- USB Memory stick – must be formatted as FAT (I couldn’t get FAT32 to work, formats like NTFS and ext won’t work)

- A version of windows, 2000 or later and a disk partition that has the drive letter C:\ (if you don’t know what that means then you probably will be fine Tongue)

Download and unzip the archive. There’s a folder called exploit utility. Run the file called PS2_Exploit_Utility5.0.exe. If it comes up with an error, try running start.cmd in the same folder. If you run start.cmd and it asks you to overwrite any files, choose not to overwrite them. When start.cmd finishes, try running PS2_Exploit_Utility5.0.exe again. It might take a couple of tries after running start.cmd to launch PS2_Exploit_Utility5.0.exe... :S

If it comes up with a prompt about updating the program, click No.

You should come up with this screen... click the Title.DB tab. This is where you need your psx game. Put the disc in your drive after clicking Title.DB.

Choose your cd/dvd drive as shown above. I have 2 optical drives, in this case, I inserted my game into drive E: so I clicked E. After that, click Get ID from CD.

Follow the isntructions in the quote box if that doesn't work.
If that doesn’t work, open My Computer, go into your cd drive.

There should be a file called S@@@_###.## where @ represents a letter and # represents a number, e.g. in my copy of FFVII it’s SCUS_941.63. Note down that code and in the PS2 Exploit Utility, enter it in the shown box and click Add to Title.DB.

If the Get ID from CD method worked for you (it didn’t work for me) then it should automatically be added, so no extra work on the Title.DB tab.

At this point in time I wouldn’t bother with the tabs Loader, Files and IP Options. The Loader, uLaunchElf is one of the best, as for Files, you can copy them after and same with IP Options – you only need ip options if you plan on using the ps2’s ftp feature which I have to say... NO FLAMING!s for all but small time copying, e.g. backing up your memory card.

Now it's time to click on the Region tab.

Just like the screen says, be SURE to select the right region!!! Note if you select Japanese I think uLaunchElf will still be in English.. but who cares, you wouldn’t be reading this if you didn’t understand English Tongue

Now it’s time to create the exploit... click the Create Exploit tab.

Choose memory card format (XPS) and then click Create Exploit.

You’ll get this annoying error message:

...which frankly we don’t care about. Click Yes.

You’ll get this:

.. which is a good thing Tongue You can click OK and close the app now. If you get an annoying notice about beta software or whatever, click No. Then wait for the image on the screen that pops up to vanish.

Now, run the file ps2save-builder.exe

Click File, then Open. Browse to your C:\ drive and go into the folder IsCentral.

Double click IsCentral.xps

The screen should look something like this. Don’t worry if it doesn’t say BADATA-SYSTEM. The second letter will be different if you didn’t pick NTSC-USA as your region. It doesn’t matter.

Click File>Save As... plug in your usb stick. Browse to it.

Click the box next to “save as type:” and click AR MAX V3 (*.max) if you’re going to be using Action Replay Max to copy the exploit onto your memory card. You can change the filename if you want.

*NOTE* if you’re NOT going to be using Action replay max to copy the file over to your memory card then pick the type of file that matches the product you will be using, e.g. if I was going to use XPort to copy the file over I’d save it as “X-Port 2 (*.xps). But as I said I’m only going to be giving instructions for ar max...

****NEXT INSTRUCTIONS ARE FOR AR MAX** if you’re going to be using another method, then copy the file over to the memory card and boot up your chosen psx game with the modded memory card in the ps2.

Boot up ar max with your usb stick plugged into the front usb ports and ps2 memory card plugged in. Go into MAX Memory Manager (should be an option on the main menu) Then press X on “My Devices” and select the memory card 1 option if the card is plugged into slot 1 or 2 if it’s plugged into slot 2.

After about 2 mins of selecting memory card 1/2 (it takes far too long to read the memory card) it should come up with this. Use up/down to select your system configuration. Then click the right button on the d-pad to go to the bin icon. Click X. Click whatever you have to click after that to delete your system configuration.

(if when you click up/down and the options on the right move up/down instead of the list on the left, click left on the dpad and try moving up/down)

After your system config has been deleted, click triangle to go back. Use left/right to choose the usb stick icon. Wait forever.

Eventually you’ll get this to come up

Click X to select the NEW_FILE option. Then click right and use up/down to get to the uncrush icon. Then click X if you’re card is plugged into slot 1 or right then X if your card is in slot 2.Click whatever you have to click to get it uncrushed.

....... well done, you’ve successfully modded your memory card!! Now reboot your ps2 with the memory card still in (you don’t need your usb stick now) and the psx game in (the one you used earlier) and watch the magic!!!

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
modchip is always the best option to mod. Softmod, like the backup loader on wii, is crap because there is some games not working.

Never seen any games not working with all my modded consoles.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
modchip is always the best option to mod. Softmod, like the backup loader on wii, is crap because there is some games not working.

there a couple of different programs for softmodding
but mostly you can get every game running depending on which method you use

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
Giga_Gaia said:

there a couple of different programs for softmodding
but mostly you can get every game running depending on which method you use
So true.

For the PS2 this softmod rocks! I've tried 10 games and all of them work great!

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Devil May Cry said:
playallday said:
Yes, or something like that. I use one like that but I had to do something a little different.
Something I should know? Have you made a tutorial in the past?
No really.. Mine was to do with the files names, but I was NOT using a AR Max for PS2! I was using a dumb AR for PSP to PS2 (I don't know why you'd want it because I don't have a PSP). Ya I made a tutorial, it's here.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I got the trigger disc from a friend. However, PS2 Exploit_Utility 5.0 isn't working for me. Is this a Vista problem?

EDIT: What files should I add?

ESR INSTALL Folder with APPS, INJECT, FMCB_CFG, MODULE, BOOT.ELF, SMS.ELF, HDLOADER.ELF, ESR.ELF, BOOT.ELF
And which version of ESR? Latest? Mcard.ELF or dvdv direct off.ELF?

Do I leave the loader section alone or select other? If ither, what ELF is the one I should use?

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Devil May Cry said:
Okay, I got the trigger disc from a friend. However, PS2 Exploit_Utility 5.0 isn't working for me. Is this a Vista problem?

EDIT: What files should I add?

ESR INSTALL Folder with APPS, INJECT, FMCB_CFG, MODULE, BOOT.ELF, SMS.ELF, HDLOADER.ELF, ESR.ELF, BOOT.ELF
And which version of ESR? Latest? Mcard.ELF or dvdv direct off.ELF?

Do I leave the loader section alone or select other? If ither, what ELF is the one I should use?
Just give me the game code and I'll run it for you.

@Edit: Ya just put all the files that the readme.txt says you can, if you don't put ESR there it won't work.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to give it one more shot. In the "Loader" section, do I keep Ulaunch 3.XX pre-selected or do I pick the BOOT.ELF in the INSTALL folder (which the guide says is Ulaunch as well).

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Devil May Cry said:
I'm going to give it one more shot. In the "Loader" section, do I keep Ulaunch 3.XX pre-selected or do I pick the BOOT.ELF in the INSTALL folder (which the guide says is Ulaunch as well).
It doesn't matter. But to be safe use the pre-selected one.

Devil May Cry

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I did it all right (according to my knowledge) and it still didn't work. Mind making the exploit for me and making a .max file out of it? Also, on the forum I got the exploit from, the OP said to pick the BOOT.ELF in the INSTALL folder, because that is a more up to date Ulaunch than the 3.XX in the exploit maker. In the exploit, in addition to the necessities (ESR and stuff), I'd like SMS.ELF and HDLOADER.ELF as well if you please. I'm considering using those in the future. The Title D.B. is SLUS_011.31

playallday

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Devil May Cry said:
Okay, I did it all right (according to my knowledge) and it still didn't work. Mind making the exploit for me and making a .max file out of it? Also, on the forum I got the exploit from, the OP said to pick the BOOT.ELF in the INSTALL folder, because that is a more up to date Ulaunch than the 3.XX in the exploit maker. In the exploit, in addition to the necessities (ESR and stuff), I'd like SMS.ELF and HDLOADER.ELF as well if you please. I'm considering using those in the future. The Title D.B. is SLUS_011.31
I'll do it tomorrow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455