Hacking Suggestion Which is the currently the best hardmod chip?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Actually no, all the videos I have seen and 3 units that I have owned all had the USB port removed after flashing the software.
Did any of them leave the heat shield off though?
just a quick question that i have
when installing a Trinket M0 internally in the Switch, is it absolutely necessary to unsolder the led and USB port?
my plan is to buy a clear housing for the console, and I don't plan on reinstalling the heatshield plate.
my thought is that should allow enough room for the USB port when putting the rear housing cover on, but i don't know if there's any adverse effects from leaving those two components intact and just soldering the needed wires to the Trinket M0.
It might look better with a clear shell, but it's ill advised to leave the heat shield off. It's there for a reason. Hot spots could lead to the plastic warping or cracking.

Reactions: vincentallen2

vincentallen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Won't fit with the back cover, that why people removed it after flashing the software.
Gotcha,thanks for the info. My goal is to make the install as easy as possible. I'm thinking about buying two new transparent backcovers a cutting a hole big enough just for the USB port through (just to experiment).

If doing so, which solder points could I skip? Is it the USB disconnect, data +, or data -?
it may fit that way, but then you lose a mass amount of the switchs' cooling that back plate provides.
Did any of them leave the heat shield off though?

It might look better with a clear shell, but it's ill advised to leave the heat shield off. It's there for a reason. Hot spots could lead to the plastic warping or cracking.

Xboxexpert reports that he has left his heatshield off on all his switch consoles with no I'll effects. He's actually the reason I bring this up in my question from earlier

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're missing the point. The guy was asking if it would still not fit with the heat shield off.

Off course it would fit with the heat shield off but not adviced, you misread the whole conversation, I never mention about the heat shield, I only said the USB port of the trinket m0 should be removed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Gotcha,thanks for the info. My goal is to make the install as easy as possible. I'm thinking about buying two new transparent backcovers a cutting a hole big enough just for the USB port through (just to experiment).

If doing so, which solder points could I skip? Is it the USB disconnect, data +, or data -?
Xboxexpert reports that he has left his heatshield off on all his switch consoles with no I'll effects. He's actually the reason I bring this up in my question from earlier

https://gbatemp.net/threads/interna...ybitsy-m0-express-guide-files-support.508068/

Follow this for soldering guide, don't cut the case you don't really need to flash the chip after the first, I haven't bother to update mine. Im post pictures of mine.

20200115_192707.jpg
20200115_192753.jpg

vincentallen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Off course it would fit with the heat shield off but not adviced, you misread the whole conversation, I never mention about the heat shield, I only said the USB port of the trinket m0 should be removed.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/interna...ybitsy-m0-express-guide-files-support.508068/

Follow this for soldering guide, don't cut the case you don't really need to flash the chip after the first, I haven't bother to update mine. Im post pictures of mine.
I think he meant when I asked you earlier if the Trinket w/ usb port intact would fit if I removed the heatshield. You responded saying that it wouldn't

Thanks, I'm currently following that thread now.
I'll be getting my trinket and new rear housing cover in the next two weeks from Amazon [emoji1531]
I just need to find someplace that sells the appropriate wires for the installation

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://w
I think he meant when I asked you earlier if the Trinket w/ usb port intact would fit if I removed the heatshield. You responded saying that it wouldn't

Thanks, I'm currently following that thread now.
I'll be getting my trinket and new rear housing cover in the next two weeks from Amazon [emoji1531]
I just need to find someplace that sells the appropriate wires for the installation

Well you can put the chip outside on top of the heat shield, or cut the heat shield. Just that the heat shield can't be on top the chip covering it.

vincentallen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://w

Well you can put the chip outside on top of the heat shield, or cut the heat shield. Just that the heat shield can't be on top the chip covering it.
I'm taking the shield off for more aesthetics reasons, but even more so now knowing that the USB port will fit inside the console

The switchme looks great! I like the design compared to the Trinket M0 and the RCM-X86. It's double the price of the other two though
($12 trinket or $15 RCM-X86 vs $20+$9 shipping)
so I might have to skip it, unfortunately

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm taking the shield off for more aesthetics reasons, but even more so now knowing that the USB port will fit inside the console

The switchme looks great! I like the design compared to the Trinket M0 and the RCM-X86. It's double the price of the other two though
($12 trinket or $15 RCM-X86 vs $20+$9 shipping)
so I might have to skip it, unfortunately

Switchme is hard to source like what metaljay said, I did bought one unit off him that he fitted a switchme rebug on the unit. As most modders out there used trinket m0 it is more common and cheaper, really depends on how your soldering skills is, if you aren't good it is best to spend some extra money and have someone else fit it for you.

vincentallen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switchme is hard to source like what metaljay said, I did bought one unit off him that he fitted a switchme rebug on the unit. As most modders out there used trinket m0 it is more common and cheaper, really depends on how your soldering skills is, if you aren't good it is best to spend some extra money and have someone else fit it for you.
This would definitely be my first time soldering any electronics (which is why I am so admittedly trying to avoid desoldering the USB port and led haha!) but I'm not afraid of at least trying to solder the other points

Reactions: Deleted User

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would definitely be my first time soldering any electronics (which is why I am so admittedly trying to avoid desoldering the USB port and led haha!) but I'm not afraid of at least trying to solder the other points

I would suggest hiring a modder to fit it for you, like @ModderFokker619 I have one fitted by him, excellent wiring and fast return.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

If you ruin the Trinket trying to desolder the USB port and LED, it's only $9 wasted. If you ruin the Switch mainboard, it's like $200-300 wasted.
I would be more worried about ruining the Switch mainboard. You can consider removing the USB port and LED from the Trinket as practice for soldering onto the Switch mainboard. But I would suggest getting a lot of practice on other things first before attempting any mods. I have seen people nearly burn a hole straight through the board when attempting console modding or repair without previous experience. Destroying every component in close vicinity, possibly even destroying some traces and pads. It's near impossible to repair at that point. Makes me sad to see that sort of thing.

Reactions: Hayato213

SirFranko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

In all honesty I would try soldering something else first.

The switch isn't a good console as a first attempt.

ELY_M

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is his trinket setup.
he left usb port on. he have to get his heat shield out.

I am leaving all of leds on. I want my back to be lighted! :)

Attachments

• 79982702_2736471569749522_8017324273582473216_o.jpg
    79982702_2736471569749522_8017324273582473216_o.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 167

vincentallen2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here is his trinket setup.
he left usb port on. he have to get his heat shield out.

I am leaving all of leds on. I want my back to be lighted! :)
Thanks for this! This is exactly what I was looking for [emoji846]

Edit:
I can't really tell by the image, but where does he have his data + and data - connected? Is that a male usb port connected to the Trinket's female port?

Edit 2:

Nevermind, I seen read your last post over again. That's a pretty neat set up haha! I might have to use that idea using the USB male adapter from a cellphone charger [emoji846]

Last edited by vincentallen2,
Reactions: ELY_M

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Cranesbill @ Cranesbill: Hi Hi