Which is the better video game system: 3DS or Wii U?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, May 31, 2015.

?

Better video game system of the two:

1. 3DS

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Wii U

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    First of all I'd like to say that I'm primarily a home console gamer and as such I have a Wii U to game on rather than a 3DS, however, it comes as no surprise that the platform which has the far superior library is the 3DS so it's really disappointing that Wii U owners don't get the same kind of treatment.

So, on one hand you have a console which outputs [sometimes] great HD visuals but then on the other there's the 3DS with a fantastic library.

[All games below will be in alphabetical order]

Wii U library that I consider worth owning (exclusives & multiplatforms) ~
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

3DS? While I'll list games I don't own, they're definitely worth playing.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

I've to say that I'm displeased going with the Wii U than the 3DS but I was hopeful that the Wii U would've at some point catch up which it didn't. *sigh*

If I were to start from catch I'd go with the 3DS (specifically the New 3DS XL with that bigger screen and 2nd analogue thumb).

2. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I dunno. I've always thought the 3ds was executed rather poorly. The New 3DS was the console Nintendo should have released from the very start. I think the Wii U is actually a quite good console despite its library; its browser is great, the UI is pretty nice, and the games that are on the system are pretty great.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Those things are great but the library itself is very lacking.

4. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    True, but honestly the system isn't that expensive ($200 for a refurb unit that comes with 2 games). Plus it's really hard to compare a home console to a portable system for a lot of reasons.

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Definitely the 3DS, because a console is only as good as the exclusives that exist for it, and the Wii U doesn't have a whole lot of them. There are so many great games on the 3DS. I wish the Wii U had more games, and there are a couple I'm looking forward to that haven't been released yet, but it seems like we've seen most of what the Wii U has to offer already and that's pretty sad.
    The Wii U has so much untapped potential, but no one willing to realize that potential. Hopefully Zelda U will be as good as I'm hoping.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  6. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    I find both systems to be pretty lacking in terms of library. I'm bored with Nintendo first party titles (Zelda is the only real exception), and that butchers at least half of the selection of "good" 3DS titles. In the long run, I can only think of five or six 3DS games I actually want to own with none on the horizon that I'm looking forward to. On the other hand though, I can only think of one game I even sort of want on the Wii U with only Zelda coming in the future that I may actually want, so in terms of unappealing consoles for me, the 3DS is slightly less unappealing.

As far as the handhelds go, the DS and GBA were both superior by far to the 3DS.

lampdemon and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  7. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    I definitely agree. Their library was far superior and even though they lacked a real UI they didn't need it to be huge successes, with the DS becoming the best selling portable.

Tomato Hentai and WiiCube_2013 like this.
  8. Margen67

Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

Banned
    Nov 3, 2014
    United States
    PC.

Tomato Hentai and migles like this.
  9. WiiCube_2013
    OP

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Back then it was about the games and still is, because honestly, who actually watches YouTube on 3DS or use the browser? They're just so damn mediocre in terms of quality.

endoverend likes this.
  10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    They're completely different.
    3DS is far and above better in terms of raw gaming. It has way more games, and the ones it has are better quality, except Smash Bros and mario kart.
    So the answer is obviously

Margen67 likes this.
  11. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    Honestly, they're both good things. 3DS is good if your travelling, whether in a road trip, trip to the grocery store, whatever! Wii U is good to relax at home with.

12. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    They both suck, in terms of hardware. And I don't mean power, I mean the hardware quality and how it was used.

The first 3DS looked like a Sony console: hardware problems and inflated price. The Wii U has an insulting internal memory with no alternative other than getting an external hard drive. The 3D on the 3DS is rarely optimized. The only games that nailed it were Mario Kart 7, Super Smash Bros, VVVVVV and Monster Hunter 3. Games that could've been great with a better 3D, like SpeedX, didn't give a crap and kept being trash.
    Then there is Nintendo deciding to not put a second circle pad, just to make people buy an add-on, just to have barely any game that supports it, just to have it in the New 3DS.

In terms of games, I don't know. The 3DS is pretty average. Not sure about the Wii U.

13. lampdemon

lampdemon GBAtemp Regular

Oct 28, 2013
    Canada
    Where the land sea lions live.
    Smash run > Smash tour, they should've added smash run online/multplayer for WiiU instead of the garbage that is smash tour.

14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I find myself playing my 3DS way more then I do my Wii U.
    Although it's not so much the hardware I have an issue with, it's the games. There's just not enough games to keep me interested in the system. Several of the new games I've either beaten or just found myself underwhelmed by them and then the rest of the games on the system are lazy ports/remakes.

15. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    They both kinda suck. Smash Run is kinda fun for a few attempts but no online Smash Run was retarded.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  16. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I own both cnsoles. I like playing them, but 3ds won for me:

3ds. It got much more games worth buying. Portable, usable everywhere.
    WiiU has some good stuff too, but to be honnest, it lacks quality content. I mostly use it for vWii mode since the smash rage. Might play again eventually though :P

17. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Though it's obviously a personal choice, I go with the wiiu. I got the 3DS at launch day, and had to drag myself to do the ambassador thing (still haven't even opened all those 'presents' ninty gave me). I admit the thing is actually too small for my large hands (the buttons, mostly). And from the very limited time I've held on to a XL edition, it's hardly (if any?) improvement as to button sizes.

While my main gaming platform is the PC, the wiiu complements it nicely with
    A) good exclusives that don't appear on other platforms
    B) couch co-op games.

Especially the latter. I have people over who aren't avid gamers yet like to play games. And where most board games are competitively, I prefer something where you have to work together. And in that aspect, the wiiu works well.

18. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    If we talk about what system is better the Wii U is the winner. but if we talk about what system has better library then 3DS wins.
    don't confuse both things, one thing is being a good system and another is having good games.

the gap between Wii U and PS4/XBone isn't as big as it was between Wii and PS3/X360 last generation. and the Wii U has demonstrated being able to do impressive things(Smash 4 1080p@60fps, Mario Kart 8 60fps, Wind Waker 1080p solid rock framerate, Splatoon 60fps) while 3DS hasn't done anything that noteworthy save Smash 4. even Xenoblade Chronicles 3D was a letdown with N64 tier textures on the New 3DS.

19. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    The 3DS has a stupid gimmick when it should have been given more juice(new 3DS should've been he original model as endoverend stated) but the game library is fantastic compared to anything else right now. I think the Wii U gamepad is another dumb gimmick that inflates the price of the Wii U, and while its library doesn't touch the 3DS', it still has more games I'm interested in than the PS4 or XB1. As far as home consoles go, this gen has been rather uneventful imo.

3DS.

VinsCool likes this.