Hacking Question Which is 'safer' for emunand a FAT32 partition or unformated partition?

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
An unformatted partition is useless, because you can't store anything on it, even though it is "clean" as in empty.

Any storing device needs a file format to be able to store something on it, which file format (cluster size) depends on what will you store on it and on which device you will use it.

As you try to use it on a Switch, as far as I know, the only supported file formats are FAT32/exFAT. But I might be wrong on the latter.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
An unformatted partition is useless, because you can't store anything on it, even though it is "clean" as in empty.

Any storing device needs a file format to be able to store something on it, which file format (cluster size) depends on what will you store on it and on which device you will use it.

As you try to use it on a Switch, as far as I know, the only supported file formats are FAT32/exFAT. But I might be wrong on the latter.

This is misleading. Space that an OS recognizes as unformatted, or even empty, may have data. For example, after I create my emummc, and look at its partition on Linux, it sees "no data". So the act of copying files into that space will overwrite the unseen data that my switch uses for emummc. It doesn't matter if the partition is FAT32 or Unformatted, as long as the emunand/emummc creator can recognize where it going to start writing the data.

Partitioning the area off on a disk is a good way to recognize the data area on a disk. It's just a wrapper though. Personally, I would prefer that my OS didn't recognize or mount the emummc partition at all, so if unformatted partition is a possibility, then go for it.

Last edited by tabzer,

duckbill007

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
AFAIK the only thing that matter for emuMMC is starting sector and size. So, you can create emummc even on unpartitioned space, so any PC OS won't corrupt it because it won't even try to mount.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
AFAIK the only thing that matter for emuMMC is starting sector and size. So, you can create emummc even on unpartitioned space, so any PC OS won't corrupt it because it won't even try to mount.

If they are creating emummc with hekate/nyx, then they need a recognizable partition. If you are DDing the Boot0/1/nand img, then you don't need a partition. You just have to take note of the starting partition and configure your emummc.ini accordingly.

bird333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, this is about using Hekate. It sounds like it doesn't matter if the partition is formated or not. Is checking the formating something that Nintendo could do to detect an emunand being used? Is the original sysnand using a certain format?

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
BTW, this is about using Hekate. It sounds like it doesn't matter if the partition is formated or not. Is checking the formating something that Nintendo could do to detect an emunand being used? Is the original sysnand using a certain format?
Nintendo hasn't checked for EmuNAND yet, doesn't matter which type you use.

JotaBarba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Its safer and faster to have it in a partition.

If you format it before create a emummc, this filesystem will be overwrited by sysnand.

So, format partition that you'll use as a partition emummc is useless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
he is not talking about unaloccated versus partitionned
but about the partition type raw versus fat32

so in the tutorial it is said to leave it raw (but still partitionned)
and if i understand correctly hekate will search a RAW partition to install it, so it doesnt seem to be a question about the better, but a necessity to have it raw

bird333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
he is not talking about unaloccated versus partitionned
but about the partition type raw versus fat32

so in the tutorial it is said to leave it raw (but still partitionned)
and if i understand correctly hekate will search a RAW partition to install it, so it doesnt seem to be a question about the better, but a necessity to have it raw
Not true. I had mine formatted to FAT32 and it installed fine. Is it better for it to be RAW vs. FAT32? BTW, can you post a link to the tutorial you are referring to?

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use emuMMC on an unformatted partition and everything works fine.
This. I formatted and made a Fat32 partition, and it fucked up and didn't recognize one of my partitions, wasting 32gb of my SD card. I had to redo it over again, this time with an unformatted partition, and it detected both partitions.

bird333

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/

hope we are authorized to link this one (if its not i will remove it, dont kill me ;_; )
Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This. I formatted and made a Fat32 partition, and it fucked up and didn't recognize one of my partitions, wasting 32gb of my SD card. I had to redo it over again, this time with an unformatted partition, and it detected both partitions.
I didn't have any problem with both of my partitions being FAT32.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didn't have any problem with both of my partitions being FAT32.
I have no idea why I did. I just know it couldn't find one of my partitions, so, 32gb was going to waste. I had to redo everything, which meant redownloading all my games, lol. It worked perfect, when I left 32gb unpartitioned.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Actually, unformatted, doesn't necessarily means that it doesn't has a file format.

Most of the time it means that the OS doesn't recognizes such one.

Like Windows, that doesn't recognizes EXT2/3/4/XFS formatted partitions, and when you connect a device with such file format, it asks you to give a file format (NTFS) to it before being able to use it with Windows.

A real unformatted partition is an uninitialized one that hasn't been given any "ordering" for storing files.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Actually, unformatted, doesn't necessarily means that it doesn't has a file format.

Most of the time it means that the OS doesn't recognizes such one.

Like Windows, that doesn't recognizes EXT2/3/4/XFS formatted partitions, and when you connect a device with such file format, it asks you to give a file format (NTFS) to it before being able to use it with Windows.

A real unformatted partition is an uninitialized one that hasn't been given any "ordering" for storing files.
Windows will actually recognize EXT as a partition, it'll just ignore it since it can't do anything with it.
Not the same with emuNAND, which shows up as unpartitioned space, meaning it could accidentally be overwritten.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The partition format doesn't matter when it comes to writing or reading emummc/emunand. It doesn't follow the rules of the partition table. The switch manages it as if it were nand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1