Which is more desirable: ambassador model or 4.5 firmware?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by splinters, Jun 4, 2014.

1. splinters
    OP

splinters Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2011
    Reason I ask is because i received what appears to be a 2011 3ds and its running 4.5.0 firmware. There is a good chance the last owner went online in time to qualify for the ambassador status but in order to check I have to update the firmware.
    I already have a 3DS XL so will be selling this on, i would not change the asking price regardless but which is harder to find or better to have as once updated (ambassador titles or not) it cant be rolled back.
    I dont run any homebrew or backups so this firmware is of no interest to me and I have an ambassador XL but wondered which would be of greater interest to potential buyers.

2. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    If you're not interesting in backups then there's no point in keeping it at 4.5
    But (speaking for myself) 4.5>ambassador since I can emulate all the ambassador titles already.
    So I'd say keep it at 4.5 if you're going to resell it.

3. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Considering the average joe doesn't care about 4.5, homebrew, piracy or whatever I'd say having the ambassador games makes more people potentially interested in it. As this is a hacking forum you may get a skewed view of just how many people would be interested in a 4.5 3DS.

4. splinters
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2011
    Cheers guys, there is no guarantee that it was ever online to be eligible but its certainly old enough. Sadly nintendo took down the serial checking tool so i will never know unless I update at which point...well, you get the idea.

5. ScarletCrystals

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Apr 9, 2010
    Canada
    Bamboo Forest, Gensokyo
    A bird in hand is worth two in bush.
    I still say keep it at 4.5 lawl.

SmileCitrus and Foxi4 like this.
  6. splinters
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 20, 2011
    Good advice, anyone getting it wants to update in the future 'might' get a bonus in the form of 20 free games..but may not. It is however, guaranteed to be running 4.5.0. :-)

7. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    choose both options. Install gateway and make a backup of your nand. Then update and enjoy your embassador status. If you want you can pay to someone flash your 4.5 backup nand when you want to sell it.