which is harder to hack? wii or psp?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by stingray1059, Aug 28, 2009.

Aug 28, 2009
  1. stingray1059
    OP

Member stingray1059 GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    im basically a newbie when it comes to wii hacking.. but i know my stuff about the psp since the 1.5 devhook days.

will i have a hard time hacking the wii, or is it the same as the psp?

the reason why i compared the two is because in order to hack or play backups you both need memory cards, you need to be aware about firmware updates and there are some slightly hackable units like the black jap wii and the LU+ mobo.

and of course both are brickable and there are recoverable bricks and others will be just paperwieght for both psps and wii.

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Hacking the Wii for homebrew is very simple... Just throw a few files onto an SD card. When you get to softmodding, things get a tad more complicated (reintroducing the Trucha bug if necessary, installing the cIOS, alternate DOLs for certain games, etc.), but still quite simple if you follow along.

If you're starting from scratch, I recommend this guide.

3. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    wii is easier because pandora batts take a bit of work and require an already homebrew enabled psp to create (or at least did when i made mine)

4. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They are both equally easy, providing you read guides and grasp the concepts. The PSP does require a memory stick pro duo and pandora battery (1000 and early 2000 series only), so you'd have to either have someone make one for you or go and buy a Datel "Tool" battery or the like. You can also hard mod the battery yourself, but I never felt quite right about cracking open batteries [​IMG] I ended up buying the datel and modding a psp that has the ability to create pandora batteries. That said, I still have a datel slim tool battery up for sale [​IMG]

The Wii needs things too to hack. An SD card at minimum, and eventually a HD for those who want to really take advantage of GOOD backup loading.

So, there you have it. Read guides, obtain info, and buy some stuff [​IMG]

5. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    plus 1.
    ive modded plenty of both and its basically the same thing.
    throw files onto a sd card or memory stick, then launch the homebrew and proceed with collecting with modifying.
    no opening involoved, just following instructions on the screen

6. HellFireXS

Newcomer HellFireXS Advanced Member

Canada
    I found soft modding the Wii to be a peice of cake, I havent really tried to mod my PSP yet but I want to.

7. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    if your about to mod your wii, i suggest you do some research so you dont mess up your wii by installing stuff you dont know. look at the guides, FAQs and youll learn in no time.
    -nicky.

8. gilaben

Newcomer gilaben Advanced Member

United States
    Hacking the Wii is easier because it doesn't require a hardware modification like the pandora battery.

However I suppose the PSP could be consider somewhat easier because once the CFW is on it your done. With Wii you've gotta install a stable of things like Homebrew Channel, Wad Manager, USB Loader, Backuplauncher, Preloader, Bootmii, CMIOS, CIOS, GC Backuploader, IOSs required by games, and Updates. Plus I'd have to say the Wii is much easier to brick, comparing the number of PSP Brick threads to Wii Brick threads it's no contest. All in all the Wii requires a lot me research and know how. When I was hacking my Wii I spent about 2 days reasearching it all. With PSP I just got a pandora battery in the mail copied, some files I knew nothing about, and presto my PSP was magically hacked.

9. zektor

United States
    The Pandora Battery is *NOT* a hardware modification! [​IMG]

10. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    you can create a pandora battery using the hardware mod it's easy crack it open and then just snap one of the pins on one of the chips on the circuit board

11. Kosaic

Member Kosaic GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    PSP is easier, and in "most" cases a pandora battery is not needed ...... It took me all of 2 minutes to mod my PSP using only a memory stick and some software.

The Wii requires constant upgrades (due to the pace Wii hacking is moving)

All in all, they are both easy to do ... but I vote for PSP being easiest [​IMG]

12. zektor

United States

Or just get ahold of a hacked PSP from a friend, run OSPBT and softmod your battery without having to ruin it [​IMG]

13. longtom1

Member longtom1 Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen

Antarctica
    you don't even need a pandora battery any more!! I read somewhere about a week ago