Hacking Which is better: R4i Gold 3DS or SuperCard DSTwo?

JohnnyBlaze1986

FUCK GBATEMP!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.gbatempsucks.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm in the market for a new flash card since Acekard seems to be slipping up an awful lot lately.

Money isn't a problem, I have enough to get either. But, my main concern is compatibility and ease of use.

The only real FAQ's such as compatibility lists for the SuperCard DSTwo are from a couple years ago.

The SNES and GBA emulators are a plus, but I don't know if it's worth getting the card for that when I hear that there are problems with some DS games.

So, take these into consideration when answering my question:

-Ease of Use
-Ease of updating
-Speed of which the card gets updated
-For DSTwo, the overall compatibility of the SNES and GBA library
-Staying power(I don't want this card to be another Acekard or EZ Flash)
-DS game compatibility

So, which should I get?

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4 3DS = Relatively fast updating (They're a bit slow on this update, but to be fair, so is DSTwo) and it's easy to update (it can download updates in a setting)
Great compatibility, and purely amazing

DSTwo = Slightly shorter battery life
Awesome GBA/SNES Emulator
Real time cheats
Slow down
Game guides support
Apparently possible to update the firmware even if it was blocked by the 3DS

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I say this is matter of opinion.
Both have great features as well both have the fastest updates. Supercard DSTwo does come with RTS, GBA/SNES emulation, but it's rather pricey.
The R4i Gold has the fastest updates around, sometimes updating faster than the DSTwo (I have seen it once or twice) as well runs Wood R4. Wood R4 has great features that the DSTwo lacks like Homebrew soft-reset, Wifi updates, custom icons, ect. It is also a lot cheaper than the DSTwo.

Personally I suggest going with the R4i Gold. I also suggest using zhuzhuchina, they are the best site around. They are one of the most trusted sites, that has also been confirmed to ship legit R4i Gold cards.

Reactions: 2 people

back25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought my first 3DS(XL version)
and am also going to get a flash card, and being new to the 3DS scene,
I would like to borrow your topic a bit and ask specifically about the SNES emulation.
How good is SNES emulation on R4i gold and on DSTwo?

back25

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
SNES emulation on R4i Gold? Just about nonexistent. On the DSTWO, it's slightly slower than 100% speed but still very playable.

thanks for the fast reply.
i guess i'll be going with the DSTwo then.
As for it lowering the battery life, i'm guessing it's nothing big, is it?

edit: grammar

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
As far as DS things are concerned, both carts update their firmwares within a short time and have great game compatibility.

As far as staying power, the DSTwo since it has clean mode (which runs new games without updates while other carts need specific patches developed or need to wait for an official update) and has an emergency firmware update mode that can sometimes update the system even when a DSi/3DS has already locked it out (but you just make sure to not update your system you'll be fine anyways).

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Similarities: Reliable, update very quickly

SuperCardDSTwo: Onboard RAM allows for better running of GBA and SNES games via emulators. However, onboard RAM MASSIVELY drains the battery, even if the SuperCard isn't running and you just keep it in the slot with the 3DS on. Includes "emergency" update mode in case you update your 3DS before updating your flash cart.

R4i Gold: No onboard RAM means no battery drain just from keeping it in the 3DS. Much cheaper than SuperCard DSTwo.

My recommendation? Get the SuperCard DSTwo if you want to play GBA/SNES, get the R4iGold if you don't. I got rid of my SuperCard not too long ago because I don't think the SNES/GBA emulators work very well at all, so the battery drain was unnecessary. I'm going to grab an R4iGold when I get a chance.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SNES emulation on R4i Gold? Just about nonexistent. On the DSTWO, it's slightly slower than 100% speed but still very playable.

Well, actually there is SNESmulDS which can run in R4i Gold or any DS flashcard. It's emulation is way worst than SCDS2 but it does exist and someone worked really hard to make it, so just thought it was fair to metion it.

hortonr1982

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both cards are good i have a dstwo and a r4i gold i personally prefer dstwo and he updating is very easy as far as buying one if you live in the usa, the best place is www.realhotstuff.com i ordered both of my cards from there and they are both legit. also, it only took 4 or 5 days to come in, and you can track your order. if you order one from a chineese site it will take forever. ;) if you want a card for emulation of nes, snes, gba, gbc, gb, sega, neo geo, and more the dstwo is the way to go. otherwise if you want it to try out ds games and such get a r4i gold. the r4i gold was my first card and like a week later i got the dstwo because of the emulation. as far as compatability of ds games i have had no problems out of the dstwo, snes emul is the best of any card and so is gba emul. the say it drains more battery but honestly i dont even notice a difference. dstwo is the way to go.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I noticed with the R4i Gold, there's type C, D, E, F & G.

Which one is the most recommended?
Where are you seeing this?
I think they might be different models of the similar cards. Look at the card this site is offering, it says it's type "D"

Also I suggest anyone buying an R4i Gold, buy it from zhuzhuchina, they are confirmed to sell the right R4i Gold that works with Wood R4.

LaserZX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys know how long zhuzhuchina usually takes to reply?

I requested their Paypal information, but haven't received anything yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching the fallout series it is pretty decent
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    What Network is it on? I wanna see what you guys are talking about. N What time frame is it on? :unsure:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's Amazon prime
    Cool. I got Prime
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    prime deez nuts
    okies :D put 'em here :O
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The mutated Axolotl was awesome
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I don't have prime, I order once I am orderign $35 worth of stuff
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I bet you don't pirate game either
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I even convinced my dad to watch Fallout lol. He's enjoying it so far
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They really wanna get the head
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show.
    +1
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    legit nobody irl knows I'm trans(it hasn't been long enough yet)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Be really careful out there. There are people who use trans people to their advantage, and its really sad in general. :(
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    also scary
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Chasers and homophobia.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They're very common on social media.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    ik about the phobias Im used to it but what's a chaser
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Whoever you disclose your gender identity to, keep it private between your friends.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    irl or online
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Nobody is safe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: eh I don't keep it private, not much happens except idiots on TikTok making a fool of themselves