Which is better for wood R4 Or R4i-Gold

SuperSpeedster11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I reallly need help with this so i don't waste my money.

Has anyone bought both of them and tested it please answer.

Also any cheap but good flashcard recommendations?

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think R4i-Gold is a clone of some sort, so I will say R4. Seriously, don't quote me on this, pretty positive I could be wrong.

SuperSpeedster11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think r4i-Gold is better but i just need the card for my ds lite because i have a flash cart for my dsi already.
yaynds.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You have three choices for carts that have proper support/updates.
[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i", NOT "R4 Gold", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution".
  • Price: $6 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play some games on a DS/Lite.
[*]Acekard 2i
  • Price: $16 from shoptemp.com
  • Rank: Mid-range card for people that want to play lots of games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.
[*]Supercard DSTwo
cardchart.gif

• DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • AP Bypass
    The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

If you don't like referral links, the non-ref versions are here.
R4
Acekard 2i
Supercard DSTwo

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well with R4 you will always have wood but you're limited to 2 GB and DS lite only

with the R4i gold you have sdhc support, and it'll work on DSi, and now it has wood
I have a R4i gold and with wood it's pretty damn good

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
omgpwn666 said:
I think R4i-Gold is a clone of some sort, so I will say R4. Seriously, don't quote me on this, pretty positive I could be wrong.
Clones aren't actually bad by themselves, it's the fact that they usually don't get good firmware support that's the problem. R4iGold, once a lowly R4 clone, has recently been blessed with the YW Goblin's legendary Official Wood firmware.

This changes everything.

Now, the Acekard 2i has a serious challenger for the jack-of-all-trades-mid-priced-card catagory -- and this challenger's cheaper!

Should the new Big 3 be:

R4DS
R4iGold (not AK2i)
DStwo?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the r4i gold that shoptemp sells is from the split team who run r4ids.cn and the r4idsn websites. this card is not a clone (as in a copy of anything) but based on the ak2i hardware (it also uses an actel chip). the only relevance it has to the original r4ds is the name “r4.” the r4i gold that is sold by the team who stayed behind is the r4 ultra repackaged with an r4i gold sticker and box. the r4 ultra was an oem design manufactured by acekard with software support from team acekard. acekard no longer supports it in anyway and akaio blocks it.

the r4i gold that you are asking about is actually a pretty good card. the native menu isn't that bad, but it lacks ANY options. the team is active and they are putting out rom updates. they now have a deal with ywg to build a fork of his firmware with each release that runs on their r4i gold. the card is more expensive than the 1:1 r4ds that shoptemp sells. i have both sitting in front of me and to be honest i think the 1:1 r4ds is not a clone or a newly manufactured card. the box, print, font, logo, colors, cardboard thickness, and everything else are an exact match the real r4ds i also have in front of me. i don't know for sure, because i didn't ask, but the 1:1 might just be old r4 stock from after nintendo sued r4 and effectively ended the team.

i would recommend either card if you want an r4 (probably for the wood firmware). otherwise if you can spend a bit more money you can grab the acekard 2.1.

R4 1:1 on ShopTemp
Acekard 2.1 on ShopTemp

-another world

redblue

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The r4i gold is not bad.This team keep the kernel updated frequently.Besides. they seem to have got wood r4's support recently.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
the R4i gold seems like a good choice now since it apparently gets updated wood (1.17 is available) and their team hangs around the forums.

of course the best choice is always to go with the original deal, R4 DS, but since it is limited to 2 gigabytes due to the lack of SDHC support, you might have no choice but to go with the R4i Gold. Even better, follow Rydian's recommendations, he said it all.

SuperSpeedster11

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going with the original r4 because it gets updates faster than r4i-Gold and because i'm not going to use it a lot so i don't want to have to pay a lot of money for something i'm not going to use a lot. (I'm getting it for a 3 week trip and i don't want to bring my r4i-sdhc since my favorite game save is in there)

I was thinking about DSTWO but it's to expensive. I saw the n5i
hate2.gif
somewhere but we all know why no one wants that and Acekard is only other card i would buy.

sinan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a dilemma. I've had an original R4 for my DS lite for a couple of years now and love it thanks to the wood firmware.
I just bought my wife another ds lite since she's been wanting one for a while now and was going to give her my old R4 and buy a new card for myself.

I've been considering the R4i Gold (now that it's wood compatible), the Acekard2, and the DSTwo. The reason I don't want another R4 is that I want to use an SDHC card. So which card would you recommend?

As far as the DSTwo, the GBA emulation is a nice feature even if it's buggy from what I hear. And it's also a bonus that you don't have to wait for compatibility patches. Neither are huge selling points for me though and the price is making me think it's probably not worth the cash (for me).

If that's the case then it comes down to the R4i and the AceKard2. Both are roughly the same price, so which one should I get? I really have not researched the AceKard2 in any depth so I am not sure how it compares. Does it get frequent updates like the wood firmware? Also, now that wood is going to be merged with Akaio does that give one card an additional advantage over the other?

I would really appreciate any input your guys can give me. Thanks

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rydian said:
The DSTwo is less than the price of a single game.

As for R4i versus AK2i, go with the AK2i, it's got a few extra features like wifi updating of cheats and bug fixes.

It's exactly this that makes me wonder why everyone complains about the cost of the DS2.

tl;dr version of everything in this topic:

R4 = good
Ak2i = good
DS2 = good
R4i-Gold = umm... good?

urbon

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:

As for R4i versus AK2i, go with the AK2i, it's got a few extra features like wifi updating of cheats and bug fixes.

It seems that AK2i is much more expensive than R4i gold.

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
urbon said:
Rydian said:

It seems that AK2i is much more expensive than R4i gold.

Really? $2 or how much more?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: