Homebrew Which is better for Sega and Super Nintendo emulators.... NDS or PSP?

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am getting a PSP and have a NDS. Last year i installed a SuperNintendo emulator on NDS but it was only compatible with few game. I dont even think there was a stable Sega emulator at the time. Anyway, has NDS made improvements in the SuperNintendo/Sega emulator area? and how is PSP with these emulators?

K

KaliKot

PSP no doubt, about 80-90% of snes games run at full speed

for sega its nearly almost all compatbile as the psp is a much more powerful system for emulation.

hell even ps1 games, cps2 and neogeo run on the psp

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PSP is the better handheld for emulation. NDS has improved fairly well in the last year but will never be perfect.

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow, well thats good to hear. What firmware will i have to have? is a certain firmware required? It is really able to play ps2 games?

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
mikej3131 said:
Oh wow, well thats good to hear. What firmware will i have to have? is a certain firmware required? It is really able to play ps2 games?

Not PS2, it's CPS2 - a Capcom Arcade format.

K

KaliKot

CPS2 is an arcade board with games like Alien vs Predator (arcade), Marvel vs Capcom, Puzzle Fighter, Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo etc.

You have to install custom firmware first. I think any version should be fine but I would suggest 3.71 m33 for Psp phat and 3.90 m33 for slim

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You'll have to install a Custom Firmware on it, you can get more info on it here.

PSP is a lot better for emulators, because of the much powerful processor and the better 2D/3D hardware. It can emulate nearly anything, going from Chip8 to N64. Obviously don't expect the N64 emu to work fullspeed
smile.gif

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
You have to install custom firmware first. I think any version should be fine but I would suggest 3.71 m33 for Psp phat and 3.90 m33 for slim
Well i weill be getting a new PSP slim in a week. What is the easiest way to get 3.90 m33 on it?

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Pandora battery + magic memory stick ... takes a few minutes to get you up to a CFW ... then, simply upgrade the default CFW to which every version you choose.

lots of sites that can help you ... psp-hacks, for example.

I believe the newest CFW, for now, is 3.90 m33-2

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds good, but i read on wikipedia that there are new psp's that block the pandora battery setup...is this true? should i only get a psp if it has the serial number on the bottom of th ebox?

QUOTE said:
There is a new revision of the PSP Slim motherboard, dubbed TA-085 v2, as opposed to TA-085. The newer motherboard revision only seems to have taken away the ability to create a Pandora battery, because it doesn't allow for battery EEPROM flashing. No other abilities have yet been discovered. It is unclear at this time, but the new motherboard revision began shipping with either firmware 3.72 or 3.73, as opposed to 3.60 of the original slim PSP version. There is a way of determining the motherboard version from the box by the location of the serial number. This only applies to North American units. If the serial number is on the bottom of the box, it would be the TA-085 motherboard. If the number is on the back of the box, it may be the newer TA-085 v2 motherboard.

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you please explain what a tool battery is and how that will work with the pandora's battery method being blocked by sony? sorry im a noob at this.

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They blocked making a Pandora with a new PSP, not using a Pandora with a new PSP ... a TOOL battery is a pre-made, retail Pandora Battery.

I have modded brand-new PSP slims, that were already on the official 3.90 FW to run on CFW, with a TOOL battery and a magic stick ... I do about 3 a week.

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohhh ok i see now. I definitaly misread that. So basically no matter what, my new psp slim will be hackable with a pandora battery(with no worries of it bricking). Its just i might not get a pandora battery with my psp because sony sometimes does not make or ship the pandora battery's with newer psp slims (which means i will have to buy a pandora's battery). Where can i purchase this battery at? how much do they cost?

Also if my PSP breaks, will i be able to send it in to sony to fix it, or do they cancel out the warranty when the person mods his psp?

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dude, Sony doesn't ship Pandora's with any PSPs ... you either have to buy one, or make one yourself.

The Datel TOOL battery can be bought from Amazon, eBay ... all the usual places.

If your PSP is busted, but you can still turn it on and such, you should be able to reset it to it's default firmware ... you can always change the CFW into official firmware ... and once back on official FW, you can send it to Sony for repair.

mikej3131

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh ok. so i can trust buying one off some random person on ebay? is there a reputable ebay/amazon seller id i can look for? Will i just need the battery or also a magic memory stick?

Is this considered hard-modding or soft-modding?

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
soft-modding, as you are not using a chip.

yes, you'll be fine buying off an eBay seller ... though I do recommend Amazon over eBay.

You make the magic memory stick yourself ... you need a computer running XP or older ... not Vista, as the easy installer program doesn't like Vista very much.

check out psp-hacks.com and find yourself the easy installer ... the program that makes the memory stcik into a magic stick ... you will also find tutorials there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end