Which IOS is best to use with Preloader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by kid sampson, Sep 22, 2009.

Sep 22, 2009
  1. kid sampson
    OP

Member kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So I updated my Wii today and did a few new installs, preloader among them. But I'm wondering, which IOS is best to use as the default for preloader? And does the IOS that's loaded ever really need to be changed? Are there advantages to using one over another? And if so, what are they?

I have noticed though that if I load IOS 249, I can't access my Wii settings. That's solved of course by simply loading IOS 60. Not sure if there are any other strange things like this that other folks have found. I'm on 4.1, by the way with rev 14 and a D2Pro mod installed.

Also after the updates today, my channel stopped loading Gamecube discs. It should however due to the mod chip. I remember last time that the region-free GC option in preloader was interfering with loading GC backups, but that doesn't seem to be the case this time. Any suggestions what could be causing the interference?

I used xzxero's simplistic mod also. The last thing I installed was step 8 - MIOS patcher v8.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    That MIOS patcher broke the GC functions. You don't need it since you have a chip. Download a wad of a MIOS using NUS Downloader and install it with wad manager.

Use IOS60 in preloader. There really is no reason to change the setting.

3. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    cIOS rev14 does not contain support for loading GameCube discs (backup or not) via the Disc Channel. It also tends to freeze up the Wii Settings, as you said.

As mentioned above, you don't need to bother with patching MIOS, or cIOS even. (Though cIOS is handy for USB loading and some homebrew.)

4. G0dLiKe

Member G0dLiKe who needs a title ;)

United States
    I had the exact same problem, setting the IOS back to 60 solved it then. I read somewhere that it is recommended to set it to 249 but... wont work.

Thought my Wii is defective...

5. BenieUK

Member BenieUK GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Works great with rev 9 but then wont work with newer games [​IMG]

6. kid sampson
    OP

Member kid sampson GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You guys know your stuff. Both suggestions work like a charm. Many thanks!