Which Health profession do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by kevenka, Feb 20, 2009.

?

Which profession should I pick?

1. M.D. (8+ years)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Dentist (8+ years)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Veterinarian (8+ years)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pharmacist (6+ years)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kevenka
    OP

kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Texas
    I am currently a Freshman at my university and am doing the Pre-pharm 2 year program. Lately though, I have been wondering if I should branch out into maybe a different profession...Like maybe dentistry? I would then have to stay in the university for 2 more years...but the benefits of only working 3 days a week is kind of cool [​IMG]
    What do you guys reccomend? Please vote [​IMG]

2. Raven Darkheart

Raven Darkheart The Radioactive Flamer

Aug 27, 2008
    United States
    Cyclo DS Paradise
    it depends on what you want to do with yourself. you cant ask others to decide for you in a poll

3. layzieyez

layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Don't be a Proctologist. I can't see anything good coming out of it (pun intended).

4. acoustic.digital

acoustic.digital GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2008
    AUS
    pharmacists are highly regarded. i guess its the most suitable job for people who don't wanna have to deal too much with hospitals and stuff hehe. If you're good at chemistry, do it.

5. Prophet

Prophet Resident Black Militant

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
  6. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

dentist!!

7. kevenka
    OP

Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Texas
    I know...it's my life to decide what I should do...and I did research on the pros and cons of each...I just can't decide [​IMG] I still have one more year to decide if I want to try to get into pharmacy school or if I should continue to get my B.A. and then apply for the other professional schools =/

8. kevenka
    OP

Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Texas
    Can you further explain why the pharmacist are highly regarded? I have been looking into it but the M.D. seems a bit higher on the food chain =/
    Like as a Pharmacist, I would end up dispensing the drugs that were prescribed by the physician but not much more -.-

9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    My medical training is limited to first aid/emergency medicine and wound care (the two areas I need) so it is not really my place to say much.
    I will say pharmacists are quite a bit more than just pill dispensers wherever I have been in the world, admittedly there is the pill dispenser aspect but you will be responsible for preventing contra indicated stuff (no simple task), people coming in off the street also have weird and wonderful requests and there is a lot of scope for you to decide things. You also have some research/manufacture/testing avenues available to you.

10. xanth

xanth GBAtemp Regular

Nov 7, 2002
    United States
    Ah-mehr-ka
    They're really different jobs, so it really does come down to what YOU want to do.

M.D. and Veterinarian are probably both pretty high stress/active jobs compared to the other. M.D. and Dentistry typically pay better than the other two I think.

Dentist and Veterinarian, you're gonna get bit a lot by nervous patients. [​IMG]

Maybe you should think about it that way though; what kind of patients do you want to deal with in a future career? Would you like working with adults, kids, animals? Are you comfortable staring at teeth all day? Do you have a decent tolerance for difficult patients? What would make a patient difficult for you?

11. kevenka
    OP

Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Texas
    Well, honestly, I think pre-pharm is the going to be a simple job once I am out...but dentistry seems to have more potential hours to salary. Like, they can work 4 days out of a week and make more than a physician...*that's not too bad -.-*

12. Javacat

Javacat GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2007
    Dentists are tossers. I'd go with being an MD and try to get into a private hospital.

13. RayorDragonFall

RayorDragonFall I see you've played knifey-spoony before.

Mar 15, 2003
    Really? My cousins are dentists and they make a HUGE amount of money.

14. unz

unz Chaotic Neutral

Jul 14, 2008
    Curmudgeon's quarters
    I don't know how things are in the US or Europe, but I have read news reports recently, that say Australia will be facing a shortage of pharmacists in the next ten years. This is owing to an ongoing lack of new students interested in entering the field. As old Pharmacists retire, there'll be no new guys coming in to replace them.

Ever considered moving down under? [​IMG]

15. Smatchmo

Smatchmo GBAtemp Regular

Sep 10, 2008
    United States
    south Mississippi
    such an antidentite....

edit:

nvm. Javacat's a rabid antidentite.
    you're normal.

16. GameSoul

GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

Mar 21, 2008
    United States
    Illinois
    Sorry guys but what's an M.D.? I voted for it because I thought it meant Master's Degree. [​IMG]

17. kevenka
    OP

Jul 15, 2007
    United States
    Texas
    lol, M.D. means medical doctor devil [​IMG]