Which hardware should I buy?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by acer r, Aug 28, 2006.

Aug 28, 2006

Which hardware should I buy? by acer r at 7:15 AM (1,525 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. acer r
    OP

acer r Newbie

I need help selecting hardware for playing roms on my DS. I've searched through the DS card reviews, but it is so much I'm not sure which one to pick. All I want out of them are durability(I dont want them to break) and compatability( I wan to play DS,GBA and maybe some NES/SNES/whatever emulators). IF anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it.

2. FifthE1ement

Member FifthE1ement GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    At last, someone who just told it straight. No "I wanted to try some homebrew for my DS." "My girlfriend wants to play Animal Crossing and Mario Kart but I don't want to buy another copy."...

ROMS ROMS ROMS!

4. SlyGuy

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Some forums will boot you for saying that though! Acer, I really like my G6 Lite. I've encountered few problems on it and most of those are related to homebrew applications. If you're only interested in ROMs, G6 Lite is great for both NDS and GBA. The only real downside is the lack of expandable memory (MicroSD).

FifthElement, great guide! I may read it just for the info even though I've already made my choice!

5. khan

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    I would personally recommend only SC Lite, aside from DS game compatibility homebrew future for this product is much brighter than anything on the market as someone has managed to use full SC 32MB on board memory as RAM thus total RAM possible to developers would be 36MB if you combine DS's 4MB as well.

This could potentially mean better EMU support as well as other stuff, fingers crossed on this new awesome discovery.

6. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    Though he didn't really specify if he has a Phat DS or DS lite, I both use an M3 and a Supercard, both are awesome in terms of compatibility, but I can't say much about GBA compatibility much about Supercard. I also can't say much about durability since I don't really try to test how much torture they can take. While the Supercard looks less durable of the two (maybe because of the cheesy translucent plastic), I'm kinda ticked that the M3 was painted silver... it looks lame when some parts of it gets worn. Both still work perfectly and I've had them since whenever. [​IMG]

I'm looking forward to the M3 lite but I'm also getting an SC lite later this week since I finally got a white DS lite. [​IMG]

7. acer r
    OP

acer r Newbie

Oh, I'm using a DS Lite. FifthElement that guide has been really helpful thanks. [​IMG]

8. larvi

Member larvi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There still isn't one card that does it all as far as I know. In my opinion the best solution is to get 2, a SC for ds/homebrew and an older dedicated GBA device such for GBA support. I have the EZ-Flash II powerstar 1gb and it works great for GBA.

9. FifthE1ement

United States
    No problem acer r glad I could help!

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

10. IxthusTiger

Member IxthusTiger Cruddy's Buddy

United States
    Is there a flush DS lite cart that can be run straight up GBA without booting in DS mode? When I get a Slot-1 cart, I still want to play GBA games in Slot-2 and maybe even link them (like Band Bros)

11. acer r
    OP

acer r Newbie

So one quick question, what nopass card and which flash cart should I be getting if I want to play on a DS Lite with them fitting?

12. Hypnotoad

Member Hypnotoad GBAtemp Fan

United States
    All the passme devices out there are basically the same. Get yourself a SuperKey/PassCard3/or that new wii key and you'll be good to go there. The SuperKey and the PassCard both have splash screens, which can be seen in the thread I posted some time back: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35601

As far as what flash cart you want... now there's the tricky part. If you want them small enough to fit in the Lite without sticking out, you could go with a SuperCard Lite, G6 Lite, or even an EZflash.

- SuperCard lite will give you the most space on it to fill up with roms (as long as you don't mind springing for a 2 to 4gig card for it). The only problem with the SCLite is that it still shows some slowdown in some of the GBA roms (which many here on the forums have confirmed). I've personally used a SuperCard SD and a friend currently has a SuperCard Lite. We can definitely see some slow down on his card if we run it side by side with a G6 card. Some on these forums say that the new SCLite cards run faster/smoother if you purchase the right card for inside of it, which I can not confirm or deny. SuperCards are said to be better for homebrew, if that's something you think you might be interested in down the road. A SuperCard also may be a wise choice for you if you're planning on using your flash card for multimedia (mp3s/small movies/etc). Since those items take up quite a bit of space, you'd want a beefy flash card.

- G6Lite is a great all around card. It can play nearly any DS or GBA rom you can throw at it (near perfectly at that). Main downfall of this card is that it only has 512mb of storage space on it. But even at that it still is able to hold more than enough roms on it (if that's what your mainly concerned with). Right now I have 10 DS games, and 3 GBA games on mine (and there's still a bit more room to toss other things onto it if I really wanted to). Granted I would like to have more space on my G6 (or whatever flash card I'm using at the moment), but I'd take better performance over more space any day of the week. I don't see myself using a flash card for any multimedia (that's what my Treo and iPod are for) so the only thing it for is games.

- As for the EZ Lite cards out there, I've never owned one so I really can't comment on them.

You'll more than likely get more posts in this thread telling you to go with a SuperCard Lite, and that they have one that runs great (with the right card inserted into it). You may even get some people telling you to get one of the EZ4Lite cards. But what it really comes down to what YOU think is important in the card that you're buying.

I'd recommend looking at each of the forums here (SuperCard/G6/EZ/etc) and see what problems people are saying that they're having with the cards. That should give you a good idea on what roms are working smoothly, and which ones are giving people problems. I do know that the new Final Fantasy III (J) game is giving the SuperCard Lite owners a big headache right now, because they can't get it to load up without freezing up.

My G6Lite is playing it just fine though. [​IMG]

13. FifthE1ement

United States
    As for the Nopass devices if you read my guide it tells you that every company that makes a flashcart also makes a Nopass device. Its almost always best to get the Nopass device made for your flashcart for best compatibility!

I would suggest the SuperCard Lite, SuperKey, and a SanDisk Ultra II 1GB microSD! It is the cheapest combo and will give you the best performance and compatibility!

Enjoy,

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

14. acer r
    OP

acer r Newbie

15. Hypnotoad

United States
    A SuperKey takes the place of having to flash your DS. Once you put it in your DS card slot you're all good to go.

16. acer r
    OP

acer r Newbie

Also will I beable to play games like Mario Cart DS on the WiFi if I use these products?

17. Hypnotoad

United States
    Oh, and as far as your other question. If you have a standard SD card, it will not work in the SuperCard Lite, as it uses MicroSD Flash cards.

18. Bridgy84

Member Bridgy84 Yub Nub

United States
    Yes you can. The only thing that is not going to work all the time is the download play.

19. FifthE1ement

United States
    All games will work the same with Wifi or not! [​IMG]

I think the combo you picked will suite you well athough I woud have gone with a bigger microSD card but sicne you already have it, its free!

FifthE1ement [​IMG]

20. acer r
    OP

acer r Newbie

Hmm so I can't use my SD card..