Which guide is good to use?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by GHBAimen, Sep 4, 2009.

?

Which guide is good to use?

1. [Guide] Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need) by Deviyl

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. * * * Simplistic mod - A MUST FOR ALL NEWBIES * * * by xzxero

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Sep 4, 2009

Which guide is good to use? by GHBAimen at 9:57 PM (1,075 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. GHBAimen
    OP

Member GHBAimen GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    * * * Simplistic mod - A MUST FOR ALL NEWBIES * * * by xzxero

or

[Guide] Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need) by Deviyl

Want to know what guide of those are good? For I will soon get a new Wii and would like to hack it.

2. Sorox

Member Sorox Master Firo Soul

United States
    I used the simplistic mod. I mean, i already had hacked my wii back when it was 3.2 but i accidentally updated to 4.0 and needed to re-hack it.

3. xzxero

Member xzxero ♥bong milk does good for the brain♥

United States
    they're both wicked and insanely easy, but of course i voted for mine.

4. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I feel xzxero's guide is a bit more robust, and does more for your Wii and includes properly updating it with Waninkoko's updater as well and patches the sig hash check in IOS60 for using the sd card menu with wad's. And it also has a better more clear distinction for offline and online methods.

I also feel it is easier to directly follow as it isn't cluttered with anything else but the straight steps for exactly what you need to do.

While I feel it is good that deviyl's guide does some explaining of what the things you're using are doing, I think the best thing to do would be to read through my guide to FULLY grasp what it is you're going to be doing to your system, and then if you still need to follow something after learning that, you can use xzxero's guide as a good checklist to make sure you're doing everything you need to.

The only thing I think that could POSSIBLY be confusing in xzxero's guide is getting the files necessary for the offline method. I don't think you can really possibly explain it any clearer than he did though with all the pictures even included so if you need to be spoon fed that any harder, you're gonna choke on the spoon before you get anything from it.

So since xzxero's guide also links to mine and tells you to read it I'll vote for that.

5. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    I don't like guides.

Download the software you want yourself and follow the README.

6. GHBAimen
    OP

Sweden
    * * * Simplistic mod - A MUST FOR ALL NEWBIES * * * by xzxero leads right now and I maybe take this guide!

7. Ireland 1

Member Ireland 1 GBAtemps resident Irish

Ireland
    Deviyl s guide is the one i used so i have voted for it

8. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    They are both good on some parts and bad on other parts
    So I won't vote

I was actually making one myself (found here), which contains even more hacks, but it isn't done or tested yet

9. GHBAimen
    OP

Sweden
    It looks really good! [​IMG] Hope you will soon be done with it!

10. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I did Devivyl's guide personally, although xzxero's is the best if your Wii is virgin. I just wanted to skip all the "install HBC, etc" crap and Devivyl's guide was broken up into sections for doing each thing, not a step-by-step guide.

Either way, their shouldn't be a "competition" between 2 guides. Both are very well done and written nicely, both have exceptional authors, and both make this site a lot better.

11. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Some parts can be used already [​IMG]
    I tried to make it as clear as possible
    Its actually a combination of many guides (from xzxeros, Deviyls, GAFs, and others...)

12. senkun

Newcomer senkun Member

I would vote for both if I could.

Both guides are very good, combined with nabster92's explanation guide, these 3 are all one needs. Now if the trio can be re-titled to make it clearer and for cross referencing, it would be the ultimate.

Deviyl's guide is good if you have previously modded your Wii and / or you want to update your mods or you have slight clue about what you're doing, you can grab bits and pieces ad-hoc.

I feel xzxero's guide is good if you have a virgin Wii and you want to go step by step to modding it.

And nabster92's explanations are top notch! Clear concise and highly informational! Just like a first-class wiki entry.

Between the 3 guides, I have more or less brought myself up to date on the current softmod scene within half an hour.

Now, there are just some slight additions which I think should clear some confusion, especially pertaining to Wiis which are NOT US or EU.

I have an NTSC-J Wii running system 3.4J, from Taiwan. There is no mention of whether I should be upgrading to 4.1J or not. If I follow the guides to the letter, I would be grabbing system menu 4.1u.

I don't know if 4.1u would work or not, so it would be good if it's indicated if it does. Or if it does not, at least a warning that one should grab the update specific to their Wii's menu region. (It does tell you if you're on PAL to grab the EU version)

The other thing which was unclear is on Preloader. The hacks.ini is for US, and there is another for EU. Nothing for JP. From what I found out, they won't work for the JP console.

I don't know enough to know if any of the other parts in the tutorials would impact negatively on an NTSC-J Wii. I do know the guides say they will work for ALL Wiis from ALL regions, but there may be conflicts?