Which GBA flash cart should i get for an R4 user?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by WereJackal, Apr 2, 2008.

1. WereJackal
    OP

Newcomer WereJackal Member

Australia
    Im an R4 user and i want to play commercial GBA games. Which flash cart should i get?

Im looking for one that fits in DS slot-2 completely without any parts sticking out, uses microSD card for storage.

I looked around and found out that M3 lite looks good, but it seems that u need to use M3 DS for it to work yeh? or am i wrong here? cause i still want to use my R4, i dont really want to change it if i can. so which flash cart should i get if i still want to use my R4?

Also, do i need a separate microSD card? or can I use the same one im using now for my R4 to play GBA games?

Thx a lot

2. Bob Evil

Member Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

United Kingdom
    I still use my Supercard Lite. Works well for me. Takes a MicroSD card. Works with any slot-1 cart, too.

Some have card slots, and therefore require their own card, and some have internal memory, and so don't.

It depends on your budget, and whether you want rumble and/or extra RAM for a browser.

3. WereJackal
    OP

Australia
    what does that mean? rumble? and what extra RAM for? sorry i dont really understand this stuff

I just need something that works like R4 but for GBA games, doesnt require battery so i dont need to charge em.
    about budgets, i guess ill look around to get the cheapest possible, i just need to know what i should look for.

so is supercard lite the best solution for me?

4. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Extra RAM means it has in-built memory that programs which need more memory than the DS can provide, can access ... such as the web browser programs.

Rumble is a vibration effect that some games can use ... such a Super Princess Peach or Metroid Pinball.

If you aren't interested in things like that, then any Slot-2 device will do for you ... your R4 can access any of them, pretty much, if it's just GBA support you are after.

5. suppachipmunk

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Micro SD
    the M3 has near-perfect compatibility for me. cost about $80 usd shipped. Can act as GBA cart, and RAM for Browser
    the EZ IV has excellent compatibility as well for me. cost $30 USD shipped from dealextreme.com. Plays GBA but not sure about Browser.

Built In Memory
    EZ 3-in-1 has great compatibility. $20 USD shipped from Dealextreme.com. You will need a slot 1 (your R4), GBA EXploder. Can act as GBA cart, Rumble, and RAM for Browser.

hope this helps a little bit.

Also, do you have a DS phat, or Lite? That will determine which type of each cart will fit flush with your DS.

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    EZIV can run the browser too, in combo with a slot1.

7. WereJackal
    OP

Australia
    Im using DS lite. As for M3 and EZ IV, their price diff r quite large, whats the difference? Both of them will work with R4 yeh? and i dont really need rumble or browser thing. I just want to play the popular rpg that i missed like Fire Emblem, Yggdra Union, Riviera and stuff like that.

8. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    Get the cheapest Slot-2 you can find, if all you want is GBA support.

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Well, I haven't tested my EZ IV together with my R4, but you can just do it like this:

1. Put your EZ4 in your DSLite
    2. Get your slot1 card out of your DS
    3. Boot your DS, and then pick GBA game

Then you can play GBA games, but no DS games
    I don't know if the EZ4 works with the R4 at the same moment in your DS.

Compatibility is great of the EZ IV, and its a very nice cart to own.

10. WereJackal
    OP

Australia
    oh k, i prob go with that EZ IV, thx everyone

1 last thing bout the microSD, can i just use the one that im using for my R4 and so ill be having NDS and GBA roms in 1 microSD or do i need to get a new separate one just for GBA roms?

11. Bob Evil

United Kingdom
    A separate one is best, if only to save swapping around, and to give you more storage space.

12. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    If you don't mind about extra space, EZ 3in1 is a good choice : )