Which games deserve a perfect score in your opinion?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by WiiCube_2013, Sep 19, 2014.

1. WiiCube_2013
    OP

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    I have never given a game in good conscious a score of 5/5 (or 10/10) because while playing it I found that either the game didn't have a consistent framerate, bugs acting up, graphics, clunky gameplay, soundtrack or whichever other aspect would bring it down from such.

Like for example, IGN gave GTA IV a 10/10 and honestly I too liked the game very much but it's doesn't deserve a perfect score. Still waiting for heists on GTA V, Rockstar.

2. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors. Everyone that played it will confirm.

3. lismati

lismati Speedrunner in practice

Feb 24, 2010
    Poland
    Yes.
    Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee. It's a clear 10/10 in my book, the gameplay, the style, even the story is more viable today than it was in '97. If you want to try it, though, be wary. It is one of those hard as balls platformers from PSX, thus beating it can and will prove quite a challenge. Not without reward :)

chavosaur likes this.
  4. MarioFanatic64

MarioFanatic64 The guy who does things

Sep 13, 2009
    I do some freelance reviews and gave Mario Kart 8 a 5/5. The Mario artstyle made it graphically perfect, framerate was great, was a really fun and enriching experience.

Just so I don't get generalized here as a blind Mario fan I also gave Super Mario 3D Land a 2.5/5. Blocky level design was an eyesore, music was sub-par, lacked Nintendo magic, only 30 fps, and a severe lack of content for a full-length game.

5. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    No don't give WiiCube and others an excuse to complain about 59 FPS

frogboy and MarioFanatic64 like this.
  6. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I played it and I disagree.

7. Terenigma

Terenigma Terenigma everywhere

Nov 10, 2008
    Earth
    Terranigma
    Hitman: blood money
    Metal gear solid 3
    Zelda: Ocarina of time
    Batman: Arkham city
    SSX 3

I think all of these games did what they were designed to do perfectly. Iv had alot of enjoyment out of all of these games and i dont have anything bad to say about any of them, i think you would be stretching for a reason to dislike any of these games or state something they do wrong. I would give them all 10/10

8. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Can't think of anything else I'd give a 10/10 really.
    Music, art style, animations, story, gameplay, originality. It had pretty much everything except for replay value, and that was by vary nature of the game.

9. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Valkyria Chronicles

10. ederenzi78

ederenzi78 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2012
    Italy
    I agree with Ghots Trick. Really beautiful game. I'd like a spiritual successor.

For 999, I disagree too. It's nice, but not perfect in any way. For example, when you have to replay it in order to see the other endings, you MUST read all the dialogues again and again, without having the possibility to skip them. Moreover, also the different paths have generally some dialogues repeated, making them boring. The latter problem is exploited by the sequel (Virtue's Last Reward), which has many more paths and many of them are really similar.

11. siFippo

siFippo Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2012
    Swaziland
    I absolutely agree on that. I spent several hours playing straight into the night right after starting the game. Just to see the true ending. :gba:

I also would give Terranigma a perfect score. It's somewhat comparable to Secret of Mana but its gamplay is way more fluently and therefore more enjoyable.

The other candidates for a perfect score for me are: Chrono Trigger, Zelda OoT, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario World, Age of Empires, Sim City 3 & 4

12. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    By "perfect score" I am going to refer to games that were perfect in every single spot.

Examples of great games that can't get my 10/10:

- Pokémon Crystal can't get it because of the stupid box system
    - Saints Row IV sometimes it was so buggy to ruin the game play for us. Which is a shame, because the game itself was perfect

Now, for the hall of fame:

- South Park: The Stick of Truth they nailed it perfectly. No complaining.
    - Rayman Origins perfect 2D platform game. Shame it didn't get more attention from le gamerz.
    - Balloon Fight this game is perfect like the rest.

13. SpaceJump

SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Aug 18, 2005
    Gambia, The
    Zebes
    Metroid Prime. The best game of all time :bow:

14. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Agreed. Totally.

Still listen to that awesome soundtrack once in a while. "Fate Updated" .. I'm thrilled by you every single time. :bow:

yule80 likes this.
  15. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Pokemon GSC.

The Last of Us.

Spyro 3.

16. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    The Legend Of Zelda : A Link to the Past

pubert09 likes this.
  17. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Text / Dialogues you've already seen can be skipped by holding right on the dpad, and it's not a slow skip, you can skup the entire story part after you solve the first puzzle (untill you get till the first choice) in less than a minute, and there's a lot of text.
    Plus the story is so well written that it can't become boring so quickly, I often find myself reading through everything just because it's perfectly done.

Veho don't dismiss an opinion without an elaborate answer, just because the kind of gameplay is not to your liking it doesn't mean that it isn't perfect. I didn't think I'd enjoy a visual novel, but when I picked it up I could't put it down untill I completed the game 100% (and then I got a first print of the game and beat that one too)

18. kongsnutz

kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Jul 19, 2008
    Shadow of the Colossus and Metal Gear Solid (PSone) come to mind as being worthy of a 10/10
    I can't hate anything in them.

19. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    It'd be some DS games for me.
    Either Ghost Trick, TWEWY or Unwound Future.
    The Hotel Dusk games are close.

20. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    [​IMG]

And we are done! Chose The PS2 version to be a hipster.