Which game(s) did you actively NOT buy (aka: boycott)?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I dont buy any EA titles where its a given that they will turn the servers off before I'm done with the game. So no FIFA for me, no Tiger Woods (although I did just buy TW2009 purely for a cheapy offline game of golf)

Ill also never ever pay full price for any game that requires an online code. If a game in the UK is say £40 on release, if it requires an online code ill deliberately wait it out until it hits the £20 mark. Im not sure who this hurts more (the retailer, publisher or whatever) but its my own personal stance on being ripped off. I already pay 30 quid a year for xbox live, I'll be damned if Im paying any more.

I also dont buy into the year on year rehashed shit like COD, its fookin boring and your basically paying again, full whack, for a shiny new set of multiplayer maps. Big wow. I bought COD3 when it came out, and 5 years down the line, I still play it online and it still has a load of players on line. but luckily, its more of the adult, mature variety instead of screamy whino American kids. So yeah, you can keep your Black Ops 5 or whatever version we are on these days.

But other than that, I'll buy anything me....

Reactions: retKHAAAN

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Street Fighter X Tekken, I bought SF4 and a super came out, bought Marvel Vs Capcom 3 and Ultimate came out... i'm not doing the same and regretting th purchase
That's just poor decision making... Given Capcom's history with fighters you have to assume there will be numerous releases of every fighting game. Though, I purchased all three SF4 releases at different times and don't regret any of them as they were all great games.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA's bought out and ruined many game series I liked, so I try to avoid anything from them if I can help it.

I absolutely will not ever pay one cent for any game that requires me to be online to play it.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Kind of a minor title, but I tried out Insecticide for the DS a few years ago and found that they didn't have touch controls for left handed people, so I emailed the company to tell them that I was disappointed. I got an email back from them telling me that I was whining and could very easily just use the non-touch controls.

Turns out I was corresponding with one of the co-founders of Crackpot Studios, Mike Levine.

Obviously my boycotting of the game didn't really amount to anything. The game never really went anywhere.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Kind of a minor title, but I tried out Insecticide for the DS a few years ago and found that they didn't have touch controls for left handed people, so I emailed the company to tell them that I was disappointed. I got an email back from them telling me that I was whining and could very easily just use the non-touch controls.

Turns out I was corresponding with one of the co-founders of Crackpot Studios, Mike Levine.

Obviously my boycotting of the game didn't really amount to anything. The game never really went anywhere.
Seriously? Yeah, because emulating dual controls with the dpad and face buttons is TOTALLY just as good as touch controls, right? If the co-founder actually said you were whining, that's pretty damn unprofessional.

Anyway, like many here, I would boycott just about any game that required me to be online to play single player. But honestly, I've never been in a situation where a game I wanted did that, since I'm a console gamer, so perhaps that's not a very fair answer.

The only series that I was/am interested in that I'm semi-boycotting is Assassin's Creed. I mean, I bought the first three games, but A) I'm really disliking the first one (I know, I know, the others are loads better, everyone says that), and B) I really don't like how it's a yearly franchise. It's not really something I do out of principle, and more of something I do out of "ugh, I don't want to deal with another 20-hour major assassin's creed title every single year."

That said, I DO make distinctions as to whether I buy a game new or used now, based on whether I feel like the game is good enough to warrant me giving the dev full price. For example, I would buy a game like Kid Icarus: Uprising new because it's a really freaking good game, and I have faith in Sakurai to deliver an amazing experience (in fact, I've bought it 3 times... twice new, and once used, the second two times being as gifts, of course). But I would never buy a game like NSMB2 new, despite that I would probably like it, since it's so samey.

Reactions: thaddius

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
That's just poor decision making... Given Capcom's history with fighters you have to assume there will be numerous releases of every fighting game. Though, I purchased all three SF4 releases at different times and don't regret any of them as they were all great games.
I admit buying SFIV on day one was a poor decision but not MVC3, I honestly thought that was the definitive version because of the massive roster... guess i was wrong.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's... different.

Here's the tl;dr: Basically be blamed Nintendo for damaging the relationship with his family since he essentially stole money from them to buy Nintendo games and declared he was boycotting Nintendo because of it. Obviously a lot of criticism and feuding ensued, thread got locked, fun stuff.

If you're interested I'm pretty sure it's in GBAtemp's Golden Threads. It's either under General Off-Topic or EOF.

i was making all this hurt my family stuff up because i am (looking in the spoiler for more info)

also i use to be a family type of caring type person until some personal issues came along 11 years ago (trust me i hold grudges a long long time and i never let them go even food grudges)

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
What's the difference between "actively" not buying a game and just ignoring it? Writing bad comments on the internet?
What the OP means is boycotting a game out of principle ("I'm not buying Rayman Legends because Ubisoft is delaying again for 7 months just to port it to 360 and PS3"), whereas just ignoring a game means it doesn't interest you ("The new CoD doesn't look interesting enough to me to bother with").

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What's the difference between "actively" not buying a game and just ignoring it? Writing bad comments on the internet?

Seriously: is... "I'm talking about games you once looked forward to. Where you preordered in anticipation, and then canceled it because reviewers slaughtered it or the developers made a retarded move. Or where the "I can't wait until release day" turned into a "I'll get it when it's in a gaming bin or a steam sale...at best"." ...that hard to understand? :unsure:

Yes, when talking about what you actually DO, the writing of bad comments is about the only difference. But I'm talking about intentions. Comments in the line of "I'M NEVER GOING TO BUY AN EA GAME ANYMORE!!!!" are pretty much worthless if you're going to make exceptions to every game you look forward to. That's why I'm asking on which games you actively decided to ignore the game rather than getting it.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not boycotted any title I've wanted to buy. If I want to buy a game then I buy it unless it's something actually important like maybe "Activision murders a child as a sacrifice for each game released". I understand DRM although personally I have no objection to buying a game with DRM because I can hack that shit out with a patch. :yaypsp:

Shit like boycotting a game just because it gets delayed so it can be released on other consoles as well and they can save marketing costs by releasing all at the same time (Ubisoft are a business remember, they know their stuff hence why they are one of the top earners) or that a developer made an ending to a game that you didn't like is just really pathetic.

It really is a shame that people have to hurt the developers who spend a lot of time on these titles just to spite their publishers.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Ergo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None because it's fucking video games and I don't get my panties in a twist over it.

I haven't boycotted companies for using conflict materials or using glorified Chinese slave labor, I'm not gonna boo-hoo over microtransactions. DRM, I wouldn't call it a boycott to not buy a DRM game, just that you find it ruins the game and thus don't want it anymore.

So much-needed perspective, thank you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Where's everybody?