Which game(s) did you actively NOT buy (aka: boycott)?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So...with ubisoft pushing the Rayman: legends release date six months (even though it's finished for wiiu) and EA's servers not being able to handle everyone playing sim city, it's not that hard to find frustrated and angry gamers these days*. Words like boycott and piracy pop up, and I've read some posts of people smart enough never to buy a game until reviews and general opinions give them the 'go'-sign.

And on the other hand, some major franchises are being canned or stop development because of bad sales (dead space 3 comes to mind).

Now...I'm curious to what degree this all connects. After all, factors like the economical crisis and poor marketing blur the obvious. Not to mention the impact of piracy.

As such: the question from the thread title: which game - or games - did you actively NOT buy when you had the chance to?
I'm talking about games you once looked forward to. Where you preordered in anticipation, and then canceled it because reviewers slaughtered it or the developers made a retarded move. Or where the "I can't wait until release day" turned into a "I'll get it when it's in a gaming bin or a steam sale...at best".
Of course, I'm NOT talking about cancellations for monetary reasons, not enough time, a better game coming along or not having the proper specs or any of that jazz.

I should probably go first with my list of games, but...I don't have any. There is only one game I really wish I hadn't bought it (tiberian sun), but by then it was too late.
Oh, and Borderlands 2 is a 'maybe'. I haven't bought it, but that was mostly because I didn't have the time (it was only partially because the original occasionally crashed for no reason).

So...what's your "I haven't bought <game> because I didn't want to give them my money?" game...or list? :-)

* note: blizzard's starcraft 2: heart of the swarm could very well have the same issues. After all, they too enforce online play, making release days for diablo 3 and starcraft 2 quite an exercise in frustration.

GeorgeFoulds

BrokenGeode
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Simcity and whilst we're on the topic of bad servers, I waited out on getting Diablo 3 because I expected to not be able to get on the game due to the DRM at launch.

Auryn

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Same me, no pockemon games....hard to guess with my avatar pic?? hehe
And actually all those mainstream games like CoD/Mass Effect and all GTA.

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mass Effect 3, seemed a bit lackluster compared to the old ones.

Same me, no pockemon games....hard to guess with my avatar pic?? hehe
And actually all those mainstream games like CoD/Mass Effect and all GTA.

Watch_ac6cad_3016101.jpg

SAVIORself

Curiosity kills cats
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Definitely COD. Hate that series with a passion as I am more of a Battlefield fanboy.

I've recently gone sour on the NHL series as well. Same old game every year with new rosters.

Reactions: DinohScene

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not one to whinge about boycotting vidya gaems, but Persona 4 Arena is close to reaching that territory. If it gets released in Europe that is...

Genuinely shambolic work from Atlus, ArcSys and Zen United. The incompetence and complete lack of regard of the people who wanted to buy the game has been appalling. A laughable state of affairs from these laughable companies. I don't want to support such incompetence.

Unless it retails for £20 with all the DLC included that is. Cuz that's the only way this fucker has a hope of minimising the money they're gonna lose on it.

EDIT: tbf the P4A Europe non-release is also pretty funny in all honesty.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None because it's fucking video games and I don't get my panties in a twist over it.

I haven't boycotted companies for using conflict materials or using glorified Chinese slave labor, I'm not gonna boo-hoo over microtransactions. DRM, I wouldn't call it a boycott to not buy a DRM game, just that you find it ruins the game and thus don't want it anymore.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I haven't boycotted companies for using conflict materials or using glorified Chinese slave labor, I'm not gonna boo-hoo over microtransactions. DRM, I wouldn't call it a boycott to not buy a DRM game, just that you find it ruins the game and thus don't want it anymore.
Exactly. "Boycotting something" doesn't mean "I won't buy it because I don't want it/I don't like the series/I'm not interested in it" like most of the answers in this thread - "boycotting something" means that you will not purchase a product you planned on buying because the company which makes the product did something that goes againts your "moral code", so you express your dissatisfaction by refraining from making the purchase.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's also worth noting I don't buy a whole lot of video games honestly. Most of the games I buy are older ones I get on the cheap. I'll rarely pre-order something unless I'm really deadset on its quality (like Mass Effect 3 WHICH I LIKED). By the time I get a game it's cheap and I know how it was received.

If I had the money I'd pre-order The Last of Us and South Park: The Stick of Truth this year but I think I'll be fine. Plus I guess I'm slightly weary on South Park since THQ collapsed. It's still developed by Obsidian and everything but who knows what was lost in the transition.

EDIT: Nowadays my money is pretty limited as well and it's often split between Magic and video games. Plus I'm gearing to get a good computer this year, something I can do all my video production on, so that's gonna take a chunk out of it (unless my financial aid through school is good then my parents can pitch that towards my birthday gift and make the investment).

Reactions: retKHAAAN

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sports games that release a "new" iteration every year. Update rosters...eke a smidge more out of graphics...make huge profit...

I've actively avoided CoD games until long after they've released. Then I just play the campaigns... Didn't play MW1 until 2011. Just played MW2 last summer. Only play BlOps1 in combat training with the wife and a minute amount of online MP since it hasn't been hacked to bits yet and there aren't any 12 year olds cussing or screeching.

Any MMO because I vehemently dislike interacting with people online (and I know I'd probably get sucked into any MMO I pick up but refuse to make that kind of commitment...)

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont buy any games that i discover have DLC ready weeks or even months in advance. Iv read about so many games coming out and the developers are saying stuff like "we have already prepared our first batch of DLC content" sometimes months before the game is out. I think its rediculous that they can get away with saying stuff like that and not just putting it in the game to begin with.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol