which game do i have to have to install homebrew?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Exkorath, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Exkorath
    OP

Newcomer Exkorath Advanced Member

United States
    hey, i am about to go buy a pre-owned wii and i wanted to know besides buying the wii what game do i have to have to install homebrew again? i mean im planning on getting WODE later on down the road but for now i just need homebrew. Also i have a couple of questions, 1. i have a 500gb external usb hardrive, can i hook that up to my wii, 2. what emulators does homebrew have and 3. can i still get online if i install homebrew?

2. Red_Gh0st

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If you're on 4.3 you'll need certain games to softmod depending on your region.

You can use an ext hdd after softmodding and installing cios, etc. There are a couple of emus like wiisx, vba gx, etc.

Yes, you can still go online

3. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    One of the following:

Super Smash Bros Brawl
    Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures
    Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers
    LEGO Batman
    Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga (NOT LEGO STAR WARS III)
    Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

4. Exkorath
    OP

United States
    thank you, i think im going to get LEGO starwars, and with the emulators do i have to have a classic or gamecube controller?

5. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can use either one

6. Exkorath
    OP

United States
    ok, sounds good. thanks once again

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    It depends on the emulator, really. While most of the popular ones support both, GC emulators will always just use gamecube controllers. Oh, and here's the list of which emulators there are.

Keep in mind that if the wii has a lower firmware than 4.3, you won't even need a game (do a check on bannerbomb, in that case). If it was already hacked (in other words: if the homebrew channel is there), it isn't needed either.

8. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States

I think a clarification could be used here. There isn't a Gamecube emulator for Wii. He's referring to emulators designed to work on Gamecube, which, since the hardware is so similar, works perfectly fine on the Wii as well.

That is, unless I completely missed a huge development [​IMG]

9. Red_Gh0st

Member Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

United States
    He just asked if he could use GC controllers on emulators

10. Exkorath
    OP

United States
    well i just bought a new black wii with the motion plus and wii sports and shat shit soooo im guessing its for point 4.3 idk. i got lego starwars anyways so i should be good on that. Now, i need a tut on how to install homebrew/ apps for homebrew and how to hook my 500gb harddrive to my wii.

11. Bumper

Newcomer Bumper Member

United Kingdom
  12. Exkorath
    OP

United States
    k, and can i get bricked or not? is there like some firewall type deal to prevent that?

13. Bumper

Newcomer Bumper Member

United Kingdom
    There is always a risk of bricking but to my limited knowledge i have never known anyone get bricked by using modmii, like i say follow the guide and you can't really go wrong but be sure to tell modmii what sys menu your on [​IMG]

14. Exkorath
    OP

United States
    ok im i downloaded the programs and answered all the questions, right now im putting all of it on my sd card. thanx alot, i grant all of u 500 good karma [​IMG]

15. zizer

Member zizer GBAtemp Addict

install bootmii and priiloader

16. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Since the wii isn't an emulator, ALL ways to play gamecube games on it are by emulators. In any case, I was refering to gamma, neogamma, dios mios* and even the wii's own gamecube emulator (that can only play retail gamecube disks). I'm not sure if swiss can be classified as one because even though it does emulate the gamecube, it isn't wii homebrew (it emulates the gamecube in the same way sneek emulates a wii).
    I'm not very familiar with WODE, but it has at least one gamecube emulator as well (wodeflow?).

*no, this never got finished. but it does count as an emulator

17. mvgc3

Member mvgc3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's true the Wii emulates a Gamecube, but not in the same sense that it emulates other consoles. It's my understanding that the Wii's "GC mode" is more or less a throttled down Wii with some of the hardware shut off. Emulators in the colloquial sense reproduce the hardware through software. This allows for additional options, such as save states, screenshots, loading mediums, real time cheats, etc.

All of the methods of Gamecube backup loading you mentioned use the Wii's native backwards compatible capability, including WODE which is only hardware that "replaces" the disk drive (I put replaces in quotes, because I think it's external hardware, leaving the drive in place, but is capable of sending the Wii data as through it were the disk drive). Therefore those the extra features expected in an emulator won't be available.

I don't mean to be difficult, but there's a distinct difference between a "GC emulator" and an "emulator written for use on the GC", as well as the Wii's ability to play GC games. I only intended to make that distinction clear.

18. ganon45

Newcomer ganon45 Member

United States
    Wii doesn't have a gamecube emulator. You don't have to try and obscure things to make it seem as if you were correct. NeoGamma is a launcher, not an emulator. Just because something emulates something doesn't make it an "emulator". There's a difference between verbs and nouns.