Which flashcart would you recommend for GBA?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by johnnymo84, Jun 3, 2007.

1. johnnymo84
    OP

Newcomer johnnymo84 Newbie

Canada
    Hey guys,

I was wondering which flash cart you folks would recommend for my GBA SP. I currently have the EZFA 256megabits (the semi-clear red one) but I want to upgrade. I want to be able to hold MUCH more than 5 to 6 games but not pay over $100.

I've heard of so many; EZF, EZA, EZFA, M3 Perfect (maybe for NDS?), Supercard... What do you think is good? I have been really happy with my EZFA except for the limited game capacity and only being able to delete the last time I loaded.

So, what do you think?

Thanks!

- John

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Don't get a Supercard, they aren't very good for GBA games. The best choices (in no particular order) are:

M3 miniSD, or M3 lite (microSD) with the GBA sized case (sometimes sold seperately). Don't get the pro model, it has greatly reduced GBA support.

G6 Lite. It comes with a GBA sized case, and has 512 megabytes (4 gigabits) of internal flash memory.

EZ-Flash 4 (not the lite version, and not the compact). I think it comes in miniSD and microSD versions.

The M3 and G6 both have 32 megabytes of RAM that is used for playing GBA games. The game has to be loaded into RAM every time you play it, which takes a few seconds for small games, and up to almost 30 seconds for 32MB games.

The EZ-Flash 4 only has 16MB of RAM, but it also has 32MB of NOR flash memory (like your EZFA). 32MB games have to be flashed to NOR in order to play them, which takes a while. Once the game is flashed to NOR, it starts instantly.

The M3 and G6 have a real time clock for pokemon, the EZ-4 does not.

The EZ-4 is limited to having 80 games or less on the memory card at once, regardless of how much space is available. I don't know if the M3 has a similar limitation. I don't think it does, but I'm not sure. The G6 has enough internal memory for about 50 average size games.

The M3 costs about $80 + the price of the memory card, the G6 is about $90 but you don't need a memory card, and the EZ-4 is about $40-$50 + the price of the memory card.

3. shaffaaf27

Member shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    PS an ez flash III will kick any of these

4. dexmix

Member dexmix GBAtemp Regular

United States
    +1

for GBA only, its EZ Flash III Hands down.
    Theres just no beating it. Perfect compatibility with almost all games.
    i think i've found 2 games out of 2 thousand that didnt work perfectly, but still got them to work with a couple work-arounds.

http://www.xbox-modchips.com/ez-flash-3-1gbit.htm

5. shaffaaf27

Member shaffaaf27 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    and it has save states, and a RTC