Hacking Which Flashcart for my Grandparents?

Blastoise

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all.
So my extended family and I are all together getting a Nintendo DSi XL for my grandparents for Christmas. I'm looking to get them a flashcart (I personally use R4 with the Wood firmware, haven't used anything else so im not sure on other carts).

They are fairly tech savvy for grandparents so they can figure stuff out pretty quickly but i'm still going to set it all up for them.
My question is what card should I get?
I have to consider these factors:
Simplicity to get a game running.
Compatibility with games (90% will be puzzle games)
WiFi isnt an issue

It doesn't need the most features like RTS and Half Speed. All it needs to do is launch the games correctly.

So which one do you guys recommend? If I could, i would have bought them an R4 and chucked Wood on there but obviously the R4 isn't compatible with the DSi XL.

Shanks!

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Acekard 2i with AKAIO. AKAIO = WoodR4 in the way of interface. And it has great compatibility

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd have to say the DSTwo is king of Flashcarts, but you said you/your grand parents don't need the extra features so I have to suggest the AceKard 2i.

That new 'AAP' the AKAIO devs put on it will keep it compatible with the latest games, AKAIO is well maintained and it's got a nice pricetag at Shoptemp. It's also DSi compatible too.

EDIT: Almost forgot the most important part, it's so simple to use!

Infinite Zero

Almost!
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
AK2i is all I can think of

FireGrey said:
R4DS i don't think they'll care about all that fancy stuff.

QUOTE(Blastoise @ Nov 7 2010, 08:19 PM) So which one do you guys recommend? If I could, i would have bought them an R4 and chucked Wood on there but obviously the R4 isn't compatible with the DSi XL.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Acekard is your lover in this situation. It's cheap at ShopTemp for $16.14 [AUD]

Acekard 2i @ www.shoptemp.com

Has a easy to navigate interface. Has pretty much perfect compatibility, it takes SDHC cards. Though I'm sure their DSi XL might be updated, so you'll have to update the card yourself with your DSL. But that's easy to do
smile.gif

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As an AK2i + DSi XL user I agree it's a great combo.
You might want to read up on the "paper trick" to solve any "contact issues" because it's more common with the XL than the others. In my experience I had the contact issues primarily due to the slight flex accidentally exerted during play because of the broadness of the DSi XL, and at first I would experience freezes all the time. I solved problem by using a small regular piece of paper as illustrated in tk_saturn's guide, but that didn't fix it permanently. After about half a year I occasionally got freezes during normal play so I had to stick a piece of scotch tape to the label side of the cart since I'm not keen on disassembling the card and i couldn't put another piece of paper in. It's working so far but I think it may bend the DSi XL contacts internally if i patch it any more times than this, so if i get contact issues again i'm probably not going to be replacing it with the same card :/

There's also the slight slide-out trick that some people have success with on the XL. When the AK2i cart is fully inserted and locked in to the DSi XL, just give the cart a slight tug with your nail so it's flush or sticking out slightly from the slot (but still locked in).
When you get akaio, themes, your games or whatever all loaded, play with it a little while to make sure it's okay. I've been royally pissed off a couple times because of freezing issues popping up unexpectedly when I had high scores or found some cool stuff and froze before I could save any of it. You may not experience the contact issues yourself but that's the primary cause of freezing with that card.

That all said, I love the AK2i and it has provided me so much more joy than frustration and I'd still recommend it so long as you know how to compensate if you get the problem I did. I'd definitely buy one again if they made the necessary improvements to the build quality with the result that no one experiences contact issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?