Hacking Which flashcard (everyone sighs)

ad3333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry folks....

Im a noob Dad trying to find quickly the right card my son(s) DS.

I have one that came with the DS called R4 I 1.4 Revolution for DS,

It is working on one DS but not the other and then today when I tried to access it from my Mac the micro sd card seemed to burn out.

So.... I read there are different 'fake' cards and it seems like I need to get a degree to understand which one is best.... I just want to get the best out of the box card which runs as many games as possible (including SNES and GBA if poss), and doesn't give me loads of errors down the line (please)

Both my DS are DSi XL and are running: 1.4.5E firmware

Please can someone give me a link on what to buy and why, and then can other people agree etc so I know I'm not being blagged by people ::cry:

Merry Christmas

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't had any issues with an R4i Gold 3DS +, it's ran all my clean roms fine, supports cheats, and uses Wood R4 (apparently it's a pretty good menu). It also has a handy switch to change into NTRboot mode, which is nice since you don't have to bother with flashing when you want to hack a 3DS.

Reactions: ad3333

ad3333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't had any issues with an R4i Gold 3DS + , it's ran all my clean roms fine, supports cheats, and uses Wood R4 (apparently it's a pretty good menu). It also has a handy switch to change into NTRboot mode, which is nice since you don't have to bother with flashing when you want to hack a 3DS.

Thanks very much for this. Does the Wood R4 run on the Micro SD or is it built into the R4i itself please? I was thinking that I could get an entire image of software and roms for the micro SD card, so setup could be very easy or does this website come with all that when you buy it please?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
ad3333 said:
more input appreciated! :)
No problem:
  • Download the latest Wood menu (1.64) from the website given on the card and unpack it to a FAT32 formatted micro-SD.
  • Put your ROM files and/or homebrew (e.g. emulators with corresponding ROMs) into folders (named as you like) on the micro-SD.
That's all. Enjoy!
Wood is pretty versatile (Cheat menu, RTS, no "timebomb") and I only know one DS game that does not work (probably no flashcard supports this).

ad3333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No problem:
  • Download the latest Wood menu (1.64) from the website given on the card and unpack it to a FAT32 formatted micro-SD.
  • Put your ROM files and/or homebrew (e.g. emulators with corresponding ROMs) into folders (named as you like) on the micro-SD.
That's all. Enjoy!
Wood is pretty versatile (Cheat menu, RTS, no "timebomb") and I only know one DS game that does not work (probably no flashcard supports this).
Awesome thank you

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This and most likely a clean, untrimmed EU/US ROM file. A very brief test with the untrimmed EU Rom dumped from original cartridge showed success:
The modified ROM started without problems on my R4i Gold 3DS (and DeSmuME emulator on the computer) and the dpad patch seems to work (but I just played a minute to test).
Thank you for linking that thread! I did not even know a dpad patch for the European rom existed.

ad3333

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This and most likely a clean, untrimmed EU/US ROM file. A very brief test with the untrimmed EU Rom dumped from original cartridge showed success:
The modified ROM started without problems on my R4i Gold 3DS (and DeSmuME emulator on the computer) and the dpad patch seems to work (but I just played a minute to test).
Thank you for linking that thread! I did not even know a dpad patch for the European rom existed.
Brilliant - thanks so much for testing. Merry Christmas!!

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks very much for this. Does the Wood R4 run on the Micro SD or is it built into the R4i itself please? I was thinking that I could get an entire image of software and roms for the micro SD card, so setup could be very easy or does this website come with all that when you buy it please?
Wood R4 is the kernel software for the flashcart itself. It’s not built into the flashcart foresay because if that’s the case then we wouldn’t need to stick the kernel files on the SD card to run it. The way the flashcarts are setup however they look for a specific boot file, usually labeled as _DS_MENU.DAT (Wood R4 commonly used boot file name).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head