Which Flash Card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by geokilla, May 20, 2008.

May 20, 2008

Which Flash Card? by geokilla at 11:31 PM (3,826 Views / 0 Likes) 33 replies

1. geokilla
    OP

Member geokilla GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Hi sorry guys. I'm new here, but I signed up a couple of weeks ago. I read the reviews for the flash cards and it seems that the choices are a M3 Real, and CycloDS. Some of my friends are recommending that I get a R4 cus of it's high compatibility, while others are suggesting a M3 Real and CycloDS.

However, the CycloDS seems to be a bit too expensive for me, so at the moment I'm learning towards the M3 Real with Rumble Pack which costs around $37 at Deal Extreme.

I checked around on the forums and many people are saying that the AceKard 2 is pretty good as well. Not too much people are really recommending the M3 until M3 Sakura comes out.

I'm open to other flash cards as well. But I prefer to buy from Deal Extreme due to it's lower price. I can wait for the shipping since I'm currently in a May/June Rush mode to finish my units before exams so I don't have to summer school to complete a course.

Edit: Please see post #4 as well.

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    if your getting m3r
    definalty get one with the GBA Expansion Pak or the Perfect Bundle which includes both GBA/RAM + Rumble Expansion Paks as well as the M3 Real(you have to go elsewhere because DX doesnt carry them)

3. Unchi-san

Member Unchi-san Unchi on a stick! yay~

United States
    M3Real seems like a good choice (especially if M3sakura is worth all the hype). If you are really set on that then go ahead and go for it! Also just like Joe88 said, look for a perfect bundle that has the gba slot 2 card with the M3 Real (But only if you plan on playing gameboy advance games or want to go on the 'net.. otherwise its pretty much useless)

However I just want to tell you there are other options as well.

Acekard 2 on dealextreme is 23$ and it has awesome compatability and a very good GUI. It is probably the most recommended budget flashcard by gbatemp users.

If you want features such as Real time save, in-game cheat menu/in-game guide, then a Supercard DS-One is a great choice (since a cyclo seems out of your budget). It is 31$ on dealextreme.

Don't listen to your friends, as the R4 is a little outdated and even more expensive than some of the newer cards. It does not support microsdhc cards (4GBs and up) and does not have alot of features such as Real time save, in-game cheat/guide, custom multiple GUI loaders, etc.).

4. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    R4= Outdated, and overpriced. DON"T BUY THEM.

M3 Real is a good choice, seeing the M3 Sakura firmware is coming soon.

But the Acekard 2, is only 23 bucks, while it does more than the R4.

The DSTT is also good, for it's only 19 bucks, but it still does more than the R4.

5. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    Ah sorry guys. I didn't search the forum that much, and just now I saw that there was a big thread dedicated to which flash card to buy. I skimmed through the last couple of pages and it seems that many are recommending the budget cards like DSTT, Acekard 2 more than the M3 Real. However, if M3 Sakura is as good as it claims to me (didn't search much about it), then it should be the card to get right?

Hopefully, this format would help make my choices easier.

Use? Nintendo DS Games. Maybe a couple of Homebrews
    Price Range? Anything under $40
    Slot 1/2? Is there a difference? Guess I need Slot 1 for now, Slot 2 for GBA and maybe Browser (not required)
    Built in or expandable memory?Sorry. I'm new to these DS stuff. Explain please.
    Special features?Sorry. I'm new to these DS stuff. Explain please.
    Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularM3 Real + Rumble, Maybe Perfect;AceKard 2, CycloDS
    Other?Suggestions are welcome

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
    Support slot-2 GBA?Explain please.
    Support slot-2 rumble packs?Most likely if I get the M3 Real
    Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?Sure. But if it's too expensive, then no thanks.

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory? Explain please.

I hope this format helps a bit. Sorry for not posting in the other big thread.

6. Unchi-san

United States
    i think an Acekard 2 would be the best for you. It seems like you don't necessarily want to play gameboy advance games, so slot-2 solution isn't needed for you.

Acekard 2 is a great starter card that will do everything you want to do. It is also super cheap and in-stock at dealextreme.

Also later on in the future if you want to play gba roms, then you can just purchase an EZ 3 in 1 slot2 card for 19$ at DX...... 23$+19$ = 42 dollars. That will most definitely be cheaper than an M3 Real perfect bundle.

7. SleepingDragon

Member SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I would also agree that the Acekard 2 appears to be your best choice. Honestly, if money wasn't an object, I would highly recommend the Cyclo DS Evolution. The functionality and extra features it has are certainly worth it in the long run. If you are needing to stay under $40, it seems like the Acekard 2 is the best for your money. It's solid and has a great gui interface making it easy for a first-timer to use. Good luck.

8. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    What's so good about the CycloDS? I won't need the Real time savings feature since I intend to play the game it was intended to be played, with the addition of some cheat codes here and there of course. [​IMG]

9. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    They have a great forum, with the creators of the cart actually answering the questions directly. Also, it's one of the most popular carts around here, (Around here. In the world, R4 is still the "best". The consumers really aren't doing too much research) with a huge userbase.

The Cyclo itself is very well made.

10. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    So I guess I'll get the AceKard 2 or the M3 Real. The CycloDS is simply too expensive for my liking. As long as the games work fine, I won't be doing much with that card besides updating the firmware, getting new games, and using my DS to watch videos and possibly play music.

Do you guys think it's good to get the M3 Real over the AceKard just to future proof it a bit. How about this SCDS card that gets recommended as well. Is it a good card? If I was to choose between the M3, AceKard 2 or SCDS, what should it be? I don't want to get another card after I get this one.

Also, what else should I get for my DS besides a screen protector, a case, and a MicroSDHC card. Are the fake Hori screen protectors good enough at DX?

11. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada

Yes, the Cyclo is a little expensive for most people's likings. That's why I got a SCDS1 instead. In fact, here's the updated review for it, made by me. Link: SCDS1 SDHC review

But in short, it's just as good as the Cyclo, in fact even better in feature wise. More, and better features to be precise. It also has a highly active forum just like the Cyclo team, but the Supercard team never actually replies on forums. But, they never drop support for any of their products. Their Slot-2 cards are still being updated, and same goes for the rest of the cards. And, it's only 31 bucks off of DealExtreme. HOWEVER, their slot one card, SCDS1 SDHC may be hard to use for a newcomer, seeing there's a lot of customization options available. Then again, if you know how it works, you can custumize a lot more than you could with other carts. It also uses hacked moonshell, so you don't have to turn on moonshell to listen to music.

Also, both M3 real and the Acekard 2 are future proof. But M3 team is better known for support. And the M3 Sakura is coming up soon as well. To be honest, both those choices should meet your needs, so you choose.

And the fake protectors I hear are actually pretty good. But it might be a little hard to put it on....

I have the genuine (7 bucks), and it's damn strong. I played all kinds of stylus only games, and it only has a single scratch, which you can't see with the DS on. I've used it for 3 months, and perfect so far.

And these http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2941 . After that, you're all set to go.

12. Unchi-san

United States
    I think if you want to have a cart that will last you "forever", get the SC-DS1. They are known for supporting their products forever. Its only 8$ more than the acekard 2 and it has alot of the features (if not more) than the cyclods.

13. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    Ok, so at the moment my choices are M3 Real, AceKard 2, and SCDS1. If I get just a Slot-1 card now and later on I decide to add a Slot-2 card, would any of the Slot-2 cards work with the Slot-1 cards?

14. Unchi-san

United States
    all of them have slot-2 compatability. i would suggest Acekard2 or SCDS1 for you. Acekard2 if you want something cheap (23$) or SCDS1 (31$) if you want something w/ more features

15. geokilla
    OP

Canada
    All right. After thinking about it for a few days, I still can't seem to make a choice. I have a couple of questions though. Hope you guys won't find me annoying.

Does M3 Real/M3 Sakura or Acekard2 have any of the following features that SCDS1 have?

Realtime Saving. (Don't really intend to use it because I want to play the game the way it's meant to be played. In terms of saving the game that is)

Realtime Cheats.

Realtime Gameguide.

Multi-save.

Also, on a scale of 1 to 10, how easy is the SCDS1 to use and setup?

Sorry for all the questions.

16. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Note that the current M3 menu is pretty bad. Sakura should be better, but it's not out yet. If you're seriously considering buying an M3 Real, wait until after Sakura comes out so you can read what others think of Sakura.

The Acekard 2 has multi-save (if you mean multiple save slots). I think you may be able to turn cheats on and off during a game using a button sequence, but it doesn't have an in-game menu. It doesn't have the other features you listed, though it may in the future.

The main complaint about the SCDS1 is its menu, which is not nearly as nice as the Acekard 2's menu (the Acekard 2 has one of the prettiest and most responsive menus available on any cart). The SCDS1's menu is a modified older version of moonshell, and a lot of people find it a bit slow and unresponsive and a little more complicated than need-be (in fact some people prefer to run a homebrew menu called YSMenu instead of the official menu even though YSMenu doesn't provide access to any of the extra features you listed).

If those features you listed are worth the higher cost and worse menu, go with the SCDS1.

Otherwise, go with the Acekard 2.

Simple.

-Bri

17. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    It's not that hard to setup if you have a fast micro sd card. If you have a kingston Japan, or A-data class 6 cards, you don't need to do anything.

But if you have a sandisk card or something slower, like myself, you just need to click a few buttons. It's explained in my review of it.

18. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

The Supercard is at a great price of 28.99 on dealextreme now. It has quite a lot of features but the OS probably isn't the nicest.

M3 Sakura has yet to be released so we won't know a lot about it yet. The current loader contains a "switch on" cheats function allowing you to enable/disable cheats in the middle of the game and I think it has multiple saves or used to do because I saw it on my G6 Real (accessed by pressing the select button) over a game on the games list.

For the Acekard 2, there have been GBAtemp reviews on it, so look around since I don't know too much about it myself.

19. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Just checked. You're right.

Is it just me, or almost all of the flashkarts on Dealextreme gotten cheaper lately?

20. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    didnt know that thanx
    tried it now and it came up [​IMG]