Which EZ-Flash cart is best for me?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by wildthing202, Nov 22, 2011.

Nov 22, 2011
  1. wildthing202
    OP

Newcomer wildthing202 Newbie

United States
    I'm getting a EX-Flash cartridge as a gift for some who has both a DS Lite and a GBA and reading the description of both the 3 in 1 and IV they both can handle being played in both systems. I also have an R4 with Wood R4 installed with 2 GB capacity on the DS.
    My questions are as followed:
    How does the 3 in 1 get games on it if's it GBA compatible?
    Do both come with internal batteries that I might have to change?
    Are both of these compatible with the Wood firmware so you don't have to take it out in order to play it?
    Which one is the most compatible for GBA games(M&L Superstars, PKM, etc.) and gives me the most bang for my buck?

2. skaman

Newcomer skaman Member

The 3-in-1 needs a DS to put games on the cart. The IV uses MiniSD or MicroSD depending on the version.

Both carts have internal batteries that you will eventually need to change.

Both carts should work with the Wood firmware.

I can't speak to the GBA compatibility. A search here or on the EZFlash forums should get you some answers.

The 3-in-1 is the cheapest option but may not be the best option because you'll always need a DS around to flash the cart.

3. wildthing202
    OP

Newcomer wildthing202 Newbie

United States
    From what I'e read they both lack the RTC but the roms can/have been modified to somewhat make those features work. As for the other stuff I'll look into it some more thanks for helping.

4. Pedro_Lambrini

Member Pedro_Lambrini Gēmu Bōi Adobansu

United Kingdom
    EZ-Flash IV for GBA indepence (no DS needed) and storage capacity (I use a 2gig MiniSD). It is correct that it lacks the RTC but as you say the ROMs can be patched. The only ROM I can't get working that I've tried is Yoshi's Island but that's probably more user error than the fault of the EZ cart. :)