Gamerr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello everyone,

Which external(USB) harddisk(s) is the best in your opinion to use as backup? (with NeoGamma or GX)

What about Samsung,Seagate,western digital harddisks?

Which USB sticks are the best in your opinion to use as backup? (with NeoGamma or GX)
(Kingston,SanDisk? or others?)

By "the best" I mean sure with no or least errors.

Thanks.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am not entirely sure you have done enough reseach in this field. Neogamma is a disk loader rather than a disc loader rather than USB loader. I would suggest you go with the Configurable USB loader and check this link out to see the devices that work well.

cup9192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I started out with a mod-chip (flat-mod) and had no complaints until the new super mario bros game. Now I am using a Western Digital Mybook 1TB to play games via neogamma (beta 12). I need to fix the 002 error in GX before I can comment on it; however, as for neogamma there are no complaints here.

Got the Mybook cheap at Wal-mart.com over a year ago (in my area, .com prices are always cheaper than in-store). 300 gb is partitioned as wbfs and the rest I use for windows back-ups. I plan to switch soon, though. I intend to use the current Mybook strictly for back up purposes and will use another HDD dedicated to the wii. Just makes sense at this point.

I have seen DOA reports (or "quit working after this many days/weeks/months") all over the internet for almost any brand hard drive regardless of size (GB), format (2.5", 3.5", external, internal), and brand (Seagate, WD, Samsung, etc.). I doubt that the percentage of complaints truly reflects the overall performance of any given brand or model. People are more likely to vent their frustrations online than to seek outlets in order to leave praise. Perhaps I am just lucky; I have never (in twelve years, and always screwing around with stuff) experienced a HDD failure (got an ancient IDE 14GB Samsung that just keeps going, and going, and....), though there are sites and customer reviews that would lead one to believe that such an event is lurking behind every corner.

I advise you to get what you can afford, and to take into consideration what your (realistic) needs are. Do you intend to use FAT32 or WBFS? Keep in mind, WBFS more or less scrubs games for you, and just about every game out there will need much less storage space than 4.3 GB disk/iso size. If going with WBFS, you may want to consider a smaller HDD: 160 GB or 250 GB. Plenty of room for even a larger-than-modest collection, though I am not sure how the file system itself affects the drive's longevity. Hopefully, not at all.

I would also suggest a HDD with its own power source for better overall performance.

I have not used USB sticks for gaming, so I can't offer help on that; otherwise, I hope that I have been helpful.

cup9192

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edgedancer said:
I am not entirely sure you have done enough reseach in this field. Neogamma is a disk loader rather than a disc loader rather than USB loader. I would suggest you go with the Configurable USB loader and check this link out to see the devices that work well.

I have not used previous versions of Neogamma, so I can't comment on that; however, I am using beta 12 to load via usb without any complaints.

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The hard drive itself makes no difference at all as far as I know. Its the enclosure that matters. Western Digital Mybooks for example are just regular WD pc drives in a WD branded enclosure.

I recommend this dock.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=29859&am...ure=Thermaltake

Almost all my friends and I use them for our Wiis and they work perfectly and are very convenient if you grab two of them. You just keep one on your Wii and one on your PC. When you want to add a new game just put the drive into the PC dock and boom you are good to go. They can also be used for whatever other spare drives you have laying around .. they work with both regular and laptop SATA drives.

Gamerr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cup9192,Retrievil thanks a lot for your information, I'm doubting between Samsung,WD and seagate.

By the way I also get the 002 error with GX, today I have played NFS:Nitro using USB via NeoGamma.

Icey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use Configurable USB Loader with a (solely) USB powered 150GB Verbatim. Works perfectly.
smile.gif

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have the Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 1TB.
It's the most 1TB HDD used out there, and works perfect for everything on Wii (USB Loading, multimedia playback, Triiforce).
Everything just works, it's amazing.
170GB is for Wii games, the rest is for warez.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: If you want a good system to port it to, at least have a good programmer and knowledge. +1