Hacking Which emulators run over 100% on PSP?

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've got a GBA + EZ IV but if the PSP can run the GBA games faster, I think I would enjoy the games more on my PSP.
So can the PSP do that, just like the PC can? And can you also control the speed, like on the PC you press space and it goes a lot faster?

I guess NES and SNES run over 100% easily?

EDIT: For the rest of you peeps wanting to know this:

- GBA: Already runs slightly faster with some games, and the more it gets developed, the faster it'll run.
- NES/SNES: Most games run full speed, with some configuring in the emulation settings. Faster than 100% is hard, especially for the SNES.
- PSX: No faster speed available, full speed is.
- N64: No faster speed available, full speed only for some games. Still under development.
- GENESIS: Full speed is available

Other older consoles are not that interesting, like I already mentioned before, for me.

cadw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Rockstar said:
PS1
GBA
NES
SNES

They do play almost perfect

n6 is average
PSX: full speed
GBA: almost all games fullspeed, some aren't
NES: full speed
SNES: Most of the games are full speed
N64: Some games run on fullspeed (Super mario 64)

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBA - The PSP will never run these games as well as the DS. The DS has the GBA hardware built in, while the PSP is emulating it. The GBA emulators are pretty well done but some games do have problems.

PS1 - Similar to GBA on DS, these games run due to hardware similarities and official Sony software. Not everything works, but most games do, and pretty much perfect.

SNES - Really good from what I've experienced, but still not quite perfect. You should note that there are multiple different versions of the SNES emulator, so there are a few options if a game isn't working.

GEN - The Sonic games all ran fine for me, and this was on an old emulator, so I have to assume most games will be alright.

That's what I've experienced firsthand. Everything below that should be easily emulated, and I'm afraid I don't know about any of the arcade emulators. I think some of the emulators have the option to turn off the FPS limiter (speed-mode, I guess), but don't quote me on that. The system is, overall, much better for emulation purposes than the DS. The only advantages the DS holds in this category are the GBA games, due to the built-in hardware.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
cadw said:
Rockstar said:
PS1
GBA
NES
SNES

n6 is average

So GBA can't run faster than on the original hardware? Is that emulator still being developed and improved? Surely the PSP should be able to run GBA games faster, purely based on the hardware specs.

Only other platforms that slightly interest me are PSX and N64. The other platforms I never played and I likely wouldn't enjoy them so much.

cadw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Satangel said:
cadw said:
Rockstar said:
PS1
GBA
NES
SNES

n6 is average

So GBA can't run faster than on the original hardware? Is that emulator still being developed and improved? Surely the PSP should be able to run GBA games faster, purely based on the hardware specs.

Only other platforms that slightly interest me are PSX and N64. The other platforms I never played and I likely wouldn't enjoy them so much.
All PSX games are full speed. N64 isn't very stable and the GBA emulator for the PSP is still being developed.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
N64 will disappoint you if you have anything other than a 2000 series, as the extra 32MB of RAM present can be used by the emulator in certain models of the 2000 series. Not sure which ones exactly. It helps the emulator to actually work well though, since the PSP isn't really much more powerful than the N64.

PSX can get tricky to work sometimes, but if you have the proper plug-ins and such, it goes pretty smoothly. There is a big 'ol compatibility list somewhere. Gotta find that again eventually.

SNES especially had some classics. If you enjoy RPG's, there are some old school ones that are worth checking out on the SNES. NES is hit or miss at this point. Either you love the games, or you hate them. Not a lot of middle ground as far as that's concerned.

Regardless of how much more powerful the PSP is than the GBA, the problem is that it is still an emulator. I mean, look at DS emulators. Any computer you can find will be more powerful than a DS, yet crafting a perfect emulator is so far out of reach. The GBA emulator will take time and updates to get better, but I don't know if anybody is currently working on it. It works fine enough for most things, and a combination of gpSP Kai and the latest version of gpSP-J seem to be enough to get most every game working well.

Satangel

BEAST
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nathan Drake said:
N64 will disappoint you if you have anything other than a 2000 series, as the extra 32MB of RAM present can be used by the emulator in certain models of the 2000 series. Not sure which ones exactly. It helps the emulator to actually work well though, since the PSP isn't really much more powerful than the N64.

PSX can get tricky to work sometimes, but if you have the proper plug-ins and such, it goes pretty smoothly. There is a big 'ol compatibility list somewhere. Gotta find that again eventually.

SNES especially had some classics. If you enjoy RPG's, there are some old school ones that are worth checking out on the SNES. NES is hit or miss at this point. Either you love the games, or you hate them. Not a lot of middle ground as far as that's concerned.

Regardless of how much more powerful the PSP is than the GBA, the problem is that it is still an emulator. I mean, look at DS emulators. Any computer you can find will be more powerful than a DS, yet crafting a perfect emulator is so far out of reach. The GBA emulator will take time and updates to get better, but I don't know if anybody is currently working on it. It works fine enough for most things, and a combination of gpSP Kai and the latest version of gpSP-J seem to be enough to get most every game working well.

Thanks for your constructive reply. I'm already a member of 2 more PSP knowledgeable forums with several tutorials that'll help me set some things up.

I have a PSP 2000 and here's something that might clarify if it might be able to access the extra RAM used for N64 emulators:

4j6xjp.jpg

I think the SNES and maybe the NES have some Fire Emblem titles (which I totally love, Fire Emblem is one of my favourite series out there), so I might emulate those titles.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The GBA had the fatal flaw of the author being a dick.

He released it open source, then whined when somebody took him up on it to improve on the emulator and work toward adding the features he wasn't making (and that's why we got GPSP Kai). So he decided to take his ball and go home.

I think he was last seen working on a port of it for one of those Chinese knockoff handhelds, where his talents would be so much more appreciated by the thirty people who own them.

GPSP-J is a step backward. It doesn't support full screen scaling, and several games were running worse on it (like Final Fantasy VI). I think he also stripped out the cheat functionality. Meanwhile, I couldn't find one game that it actually improved and I don't think anybody knows what the mystery programmer is supposed to have added to it.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, found this with a little bit of Googling:

QUOTE said:
Daedalus uses the Slim's extra RAM for rom buffering (you can enable it on global settings)
Also the Slim has more VRAM, actually the double that the phat has, Daedalus takes vantage of the extra VRAM as well.

To be honest there isn't any major different on speed.

Basically, I guess the 2000 model doesn't matter, just that it's of the 2000 series. I never really looked into the N64 emulator, as I knew it didn't run too terribly well and didn't want to bother.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The PSP is much, much much better for older games than the DS. It's much more powerful. There's not even a comparison.
  • GBA...
  • The only GBA game I've had slowdown with on the PSP was Wario Land 4, the background effects after you hit the frog button in a level totally kill the speed. I don't know if another emulator version fixes that, as I'm on gpSP-j 100429 and CBA to switch since it's the fastest I've seen for all my other games...

And yes it has a fast-forward function, and yes it actually runs faster when activated.

No built-in cheat support, though.

SNES...
  • You don't have layering issues, most games run fullspeed, even ones like Super Mario RPG only have a little slowdown (say. 40FPS) in busy scenes. It even runs Star Fox, though at like 15FPS.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
GPSP-J is a step backward. It doesn't support full screen scalingVideo - User GU
Zoom - 170%
Fullscreen while keeping the original aspect ratio.

dib said:
, and several games were running worse on it (like Final Fantasy VI).Does Wario Land 4 work fine on it? That said, gpSP-J is more efficient, this can be seen (even on games that normal run 100%) with the use of fast-forward. The bigger the increase, the more spare processing cycles were available.

QUOTE(dib @ Apr 23 2011, 05:41 AM)
I think he also stripped out the cheat functionality.
Yeah, sucks, but patching the ROMs with GBAATM works when needed.

cadw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
PSX works, this is 6.20 TN, but you'll need the popsloader if you don't have the TN.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvdbQvx4rZY&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Rydian said:
The PSP is much, much much better for older games than the DS. It's much more powerful. There's not even a comparison.
  • GBA...
  • The only GBA game I've had slowdown with on the PSP was Wario Land 4, the background effects after you hit the frog button in a level totally kill the speed. I don't know if another emulator version fixes that, as I'm on gpSP-j 100429 and CBA to switch since it's the fastest I've seen for all my other games...

And yes it has a fast-forward function, and yes it actually runs faster when activated.

No built-in cheat support, though.

SNES...
  • You don't have layering issues, most games run fullspeed, even ones like Super Mario RPG only have a little slowdown (say. 40FPS) in busy scenes. It even runs Star Fox, though at like 15FPS.

The latest version of Snes9X Euphoria runs SMRPG full speed afaik. I prefer the 091127 release of Snes9XTYL MECM for other games though, it's generally much more stable.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Video - User GU
Zoom - 170%
Fullscreen while keeping the original aspect ratio.
That just scales it with black bars on the sides. Not the same thing as full screen scaling and you know it.

QUOTE said:
Does Wario Land 4 work fine on it? That said, gpSP-J is more efficient, this can be seen (even on games that normal run 100%) with the use of fast-forward. The bigger the increase, the more spare processing cycles were available.
Yes, playing it right now (in full screen, no less). No slowdown even when you have to rush back to the portal.

And no, I have not observed any efficiency...probably because it doesn't exist. I couldn't find one game that was improved under GPSP-J, yet as I said there are some that actually work worse. Load up FF6 some time and compare the stuttering and out-of-sync music during battles against Kai that runs nearly as well as the real hardware.

QUOTE said:
The only GBA game I've had slowdown with on the PSP
There are plenty of others. The Camelot games all have immense slowdown issues, and I've heard Golden Sun crashes in some spots. Lufia: Ruins of Lore won't boot. Kingdom Hearts will glitch and sometimes freeze during FMVs. GPSP-J didn't fix any of them.

The fact is, nobody knows what the hell GPSP-J is about because he doesn't ever provide a changelog. All we know is that it's objectively worse than Kai and you haven't given one example of anything contrary. And that a lot of people are under the erroneous assumption that if something is newer it must have been improved.

Yeah, sucks, but patching the ROMs with GBAATM works when needed.
That makes absolutely no sense. Why would anybody patch their roms when they can run unpatched on Kai with cheat files, all self contained within the PSP and untethered?

The most baffling part is that its purportedly based from Kai, so he would have actually had to go into the code and _strip out_ these features that were working and great.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What SNES emulators are people saying nearly all of the games work? I tried a couple, and a lot of the games I tried ran horribly. Are there any out there that can run Super Street Fighter II at normal speed?

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You probably have it configured incorrectly. SF2 is a piece of cake for SNES9x to run. Even Mario RPG is excellent if you set frame skip to 1 and don't use full screen smoothing.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quickie question: What settings do you run for Super Metroid? I tried all the recommended settings I see online but it still pretty much gives me a blank screen when I start the gameplay (after the opening cutscene thing). I've tried multiple ROMs and what not. I just can't seem to pinpoint the correct settings.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dib said:
You probably have it configured incorrectly. SF2 is a piece of cake for SNES9x to run. Even Mario RPG is excellent if you set frame skip to 1 and don't use full screen smoothing.

I've tried loads of different settings, and Super Street Fighter II still runs kinda poorly...what settings are you running it at?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."