Gaming Which DS console to buy?

Nitrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Looking at getting Pokemon Black or White, though am a bit unsure which DS console to get, probably not gonna get many other games beside Pokemon, so i guess it isn't worth getting a 3DS as Black/White doesn't have any 3DS features. Or should i just get the 3DS so i "future proof" myself?

Was thinking of getting either DSi or DSi XL, though more so the XL as i really like the bigger screens, but again, if a new Pokemon games comes out in the 3DS format i wouldn't be able to play it, but i guess it's probably gonna be some time before the next Pokemon games comes.

What would you do?

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
if you have the money go for the 3ds... as you said, you can use it in the future... and such... and new pokemon games might come for the 3ds... so you'll save yourself money from buying a dsi xl + 3ds...
and you have AR Games too xD

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you have no use for the 3DS other than Pokemon games, it's going to be a while before another Pokemon game is released.

Get the XL. The bigger screens alone make it better than the DSi. As Another World said:

"The XL is what the DSi should have been."

The bigger screens and the much better sound quality than the DSi make it the best DS console. The 3DS is good, but by the time another Pokemon game comes out, you'll have enough money to buy the 3DS.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I wouldn't get a console based on Pogeymanz but....

The 3DS isn't just a DSLite or DSi with 3D... It's an actual upgrade!

If you have the money, I'd say go for the 3DS and Pokemon. I'm looking at Black and White as if they're the final Pokemon games for the DS/DSi plus you'll be able to play your DS/DSi games on the 3DS along with the obvious 3DS games also.

You don't speak like you have a limit so yeah... That's my suggestion
happy.gif

Red_Gh0st

Trophies
Website
wiihacks.com
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
If you have no use for the 3DS other than Pokemon games, it's going to be a while before another Pokemon game is released.

Get the XL. The bigger screens alone make it better than the DSi. As Another World said:

The bigger screens and the much better sound quality than the DSi make it the best DS console. The 3DS is good, but by the time another Pokemon game comes out, you'll have enough money to buy the 3DS.

how can u be so sure?

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
richardsito said:
ShadowSoldier said:

how can u be so sure?

He said he doesn't really plan on playing anything other than Pokemon. It's not that hard to save up a huge chunk of money to buy a 3DS by the time the next Pokemon game comes out. Even if you are unemployed.

Ventrix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You shouldnt buy any DS, you should find some kid with a DS beat him up and take it.

lol

No seariously tho buy a DSi XL i have one and i absolutly love it.

rockstar99

Hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShadowSoldier said:

CherrySkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
3DS! It's future-proof and you might be interested in the new games xD

Or... get an emulator and play Black/White? >.>

ThriLL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the money, I say go for the 3DS. It is backwards compatible after all. You get to play pokemon and "future proof" yourself at the same time. Best of both worlds imho.

Nitrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The reason am a bit unsure about the 3DS, is because i don't care for the 3D part all that much, it's a cool thing but probably not gonna use it to much, and ofc the battery time isn't all that great on it. But on the other hand it's the new generation and if one want to future-proof oneself the 3DS is the way to go.

My history of buying Nintendo handhelds shows a pretty clear pattern/picture, as i've mostly only bought em for the Pokemon games, or other great RPG's like Golden Sun, and some odd game now and then.

Still not sure what to choose, but one thing is sure and that is that currently at this time, the only game am gonna get is Pokemon Black/White, not much else that is of interest currently.

Saw someone mentioning an emulator, well it's an idea, but i like the online possibility of the Pokemon games, and am not sure if that's possible to get working on a emulator.

Thanks for all the answer so far, and keep em coming =)

CherrySkitty

Trophies
XP
Country
That someone was me xD. At least the 3DS has a lot of cool features that you could use. Want to browse the web anywhere? Turn on your 3DS and use the web browser. Want to take some grainy pics? xD use the cameras. Same goes for video.

Bored? Face Raiders! Mii Plaza! =O

And about the 3D part, well, many people don't use it all the time -- some don't even use it at all...
You shouldn't be unsure about getting a handheld just because its main "gimmick" doesn't appeal that much to you, the 3D is cool, but we still haven't seen what the 3DS is really capable of. And 3D won't help us for that.

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I think it's possible to play online with the DeSmuME emulator but it may be under certain circumstances and I'm not sure how it would run on the average PC.

I'd still suggest getting the 3DS and the game now IF you have the money for it. I don't see the sense in buying a DSi [XL] and then getting a 3DS at some point later on for the next big Pokemon game when the 3DS is already out and does what the DSi [XL] can do... And more.

ThriLL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nebula91 said:
I'd still suggest getting the 3DS and the game now IF you have the money for it. I don't see the sense in buying a DSi [XL] and then getting a 3DS at some point later on for the next big Pokemon game when the 3DS is already out and does what the DSi [XL] can do... And more.

Cant add anything else to this. You end up saving money in the long run if you get a 3DS now. No point in holding off on getting one then end up buying it 2-3 years down the line once they release a new pokemon game. You'll probably also end up buying some of the games coming out soon. The launch lineup may be a bit offputting but some of the games coming out in a few months will probably entice you.

As for the battery issues, you can opt for the nyko battery pack if you want. You wont be using the 3D effect much as you mentioned so youre also saving some of that juice for gaming. I feel the same way about the 3D feature.

Nitrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Again thanks for the answers. Agree on the saving money part, and that buying a DSi/DSi XL now and then later buying a 3DS isn't the smartest thing to do. I know that non of the launch titles for the 3DS looks interesting to me, beside maybe Lego Star Wars(Star Wars fan
tongue.gif
), and i don't have a slightest clue on what games are coming for the 3DS, but i'll bet that there probably be a new Pokemon game at some point, or some other RPG game that i would be interested in.

Only feeling holding me a bit off from the 3DS is that since am probably not gonna use the 3D feature all that much, i feel i may be wasting the consoles potential, and ofc the battery, but the battery is something i can live with, but again reading this:
QUOTE said:
You shouldn't be unsure about getting a handheld just because its main "gimmick" doesn't appeal that much to you, the 3D is cool, but we still haven't seen what the 3DS is really capable of. And 3D won't help us for that.
Got me leaning a bit more towards the 3DS again.

One question about the 3DS then, when not using the 3D part, are the screen as good/better than the ones on the DSi/XL? The DSi XL have a bit of a bigger screens i think i read, but the 3DS screens got more pixels? How does that affect DS/DSi games?

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
DS Games are a bit stretched on the 3DS but still playable. I read somewhere that when pressing certain buttons, the game can be loaded in it's original DS size though.

EDIT: It's when you press Select+Start when starting up your game but it becomes significantly smaller... I prefer it stretched.
EDIT: I think I didn't answer fully but... Yes the screen is still very much good. At the moment I hardly even use the 3D feature unless I just randomly want to. The 3DS has gone through a nice graphical improvement (when compared to it's predecessor). The 3D adds a tad bit more of a "wow factor" to your games but does NOT take away from regular quality at all.

pooxie

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can honestly give you a small input on all the consoles as I've own every one of them with the exception of the DSi XL.

The DSi and the XL are basically the same thing, with the major difference is being the screen. Think about it... Even though you will only play Pokemon at the moment you will get more from the 3DS. You will be preparing for whatever comes out later on in the future, whether it is another Pokemon game or maybe even another Golden Sun. I Love these titles because they supply us with hours or fun and it's not a game that will get us tired of it soon enough. The screen will be a little stretched as nebula91 stated, but it also has better graphic screen so it will not make it look worse, but actually it will look better to the eyes.

Yes, one thing that you can't go around is the battery life. To just be blunt, it sucks! As of now, there isn't much we can do about it, but i'm sure something like a battery pack might be released by a third party later on.

In my opinion, I suggest you get the 3DS.

Cheers

Bloodonya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm also in the same shoes as you, but eventually decided on the dsi xl. The reason behind my choice after a few days of deciding was that I would save around 80 bucks, have bigger screens, much longer battery life and eventually when the new 3ds comes out (we all know that's gonna happen) I could either trade in my dsi xl or buy the new 3ds outright. Also the 3ds is lacking in games for me at the moment, I know that's gonna change real soon but I think the dsi xl will keep me busy until then. Whatever your choice is I'll think you'll be happy.

Nitrius

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Got a bit worried about the stretched screen with DS/DSi games, but found this: http://ds.ign.com/articles/115/1157584p1.html so it looks like it shouldn't be a problem.

Leaning towards the 3DS quite a bit now, though still a bit unsure. Question, there is no downside playing DS/DSi games on the 3DS compared to playing them on a DSi/XL? XL got bigger screen, but am thinking more inline of features, like playing Pokemon Black/White on 3DS compared to DSi/XL i won't be missing out on any wifi features or similar stuff?

Edit: And will the "circle pad" on the 3DS work with DS/DSi games?
Edit2: Just saw a video of the Pokemon game on the 3DS, and yes the circle pad works
biggrin.gif

Nebz

The N00b
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
You won't be missing any features from your game when playing on the 3DS and the circle pad does work... Although, I like to use it only on specific games (Megaman, Radiant Historia, and some other sort of "free roam" type of games). I feel the D-Pad does Pokemon more justice
happy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back