Which DS Card for DS and GBA roms?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by |Gino, Aug 8, 2008.

Aug 8, 2008
  1. |Gino
    OP

Newcomer |Gino Newbie

United States
    Hey everyone, I know there are a lot of threads about "which flash card should I get?" But I couldn't really find one that helps me...

I want a flash card for my DS Lite that will load both DS and GBA roms (NES emulation would be cool too. [​IMG])

I'm thinking about the M3 Real + GBA Expansion (http://www.dealwoot.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=29791)

And I want to order it from dealwoot, or maybe Real Hot Stuff, because I'm quite impatient and want it to ship from in the US for faster shipping. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention, I already have a 2gb Micro SD, so Micro SD support would be great... And how many games on average would fit on this?
    Oh, and will I be able to save "normally" without doing some special key combination (Real time save)
    Thanks again.

2. |Gino
    OP

Newcomer |Gino Newbie

United States
    PharaohsVizier, thanks for the welcome and quick reply!

1. Being able to play many DS games.
    2. Price ($40-$55)
    3. Being able to play many GBA games.
    4. Ease of use.

Being able to play GBA games with things like real time save. (Not sure about this? Not needed if I can save normally...)

Being able to play DS games with a lot of features like real time save, real time guide, cheats. (Or this, cheats would be nice... For personal use, not multiplayer, as I know that would be extremely annoying, guide I don't really care about... And real time save, not needed if I can save normally)

3. superdude

Member superdude GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you could get something like the ezflash 3-in-1 and a cyclods that usely the best or a ezflash 4 gba size

4. |Gino
    OP

Newcomer |Gino Newbie

United States
    Does the 3-in-1 Expansion pack have a real time clock for Pokemon ruby/saphire/emerald?
    Or would those games just use the Built in DS clock anyway?

If so, I'll probably get Acekard 2 + 3-in-1.

5. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Slot1: CycloDS EVO

Slot2: M3 Perfect (has real-time clock)

Both of those carts feature real-time save.

6. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    I think rayders suggest are perfect so give with the 2 carts though the sum total will be greater than 55$

7. |Gino
    OP

Newcomer |Gino Newbie

United States
    Well, it seems the M3 GBA Expansion Pack has Real Time Clock.
    I'd just rather have it than the patch.

So, I'll probably get that and either
    1)EDGE
    2)Acekard 2 (Most likely)
    3)M3 Real (probably not, you said it wasn't too good)
    Or EZ Flash V, if it's that much better than the above 3.

8. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    I wouldn't concern yourself too much about one person's opinion on a product, seriously.

1. M3DS Real will work natively with the expansion you seem to have opted for;
    2. "..beware of the CLUNKY menu" - I use the hacked Sakura English version Triple Boot firmware, so I never see the M3 menu - Sakura is sleek!
    3. Haven't yet found a game that won't load, but haven't had it for long. That said, with the Triple Boot there's more than one option to try a game.

I'm not recommending the M3DS Real over the others, just balancing the points of view somewhat. [​IMG]

9. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    EZ Flash V is great, 20 bucks and a quality card, get yourself a CycloDS like I am doing, from what I have heard they are the best and it is replacing my M3 Simply which I am going to try and sell.

10. GX255

Newcomer GX255 Advanced Member

United States
    Yea buying just a slot-1 flash cart doesnt mean u can play gba games. gba games uses slot-2 and m-3 perfect ^^ seems like the right choice. Im considering one myself

11. |Gino
    OP

Newcomer |Gino Newbie

United States
    Erm, yeah, you're right.
    I read a lot of forum posts and a lot of them said it did... But doing some more research, it looks like you're right.
    So, I think the 3-in-1 expansion pack and Acekard 2 will be best.

12. |Gino
    OP

Newcomer |Gino Newbie

United States
    I may even wait a couple weeks to get more money to spend, and get either a CycloDS or SuperCard DSOne. (Plus 3in1)

13. Rob_Threat

Member Rob_Threat GBAtemp Regular

United States
    http://www.m3adapter.com/SLOT-1_Accessories.htm

The M3 GBA expansion pack is in essence a M3Lite Perfect without a microSD slot... or so say the reviewers.

14. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    I can't really say wether the M3-expansion has RTC built in or not. What I can tell you is, that Pokemon RSE only need it for berrys and espoen/umbreon evolution. But those two things you'll probably do in DP anyway, so you don't really need the clock.

15. Mr. Waffle

Member Mr. Waffle A Free Waffle

Netherlands
    I have slot-1 Super Key and a slot-2 Supercard Lite with Micro SD.
    I can play GBA games and NDS games just fine, The only thing you gotta do to play both of them, is patching (if you got a fast PC and/or fast HDD, it will only take about 2 sec)

16. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    On the other hand you will probably be cheaper with a Slot-1 - Slot-2 combo and have more features. And the Supercards GBA-compatibility is far from perfect.

17. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Been there, done that. How are you finding it these days having to trial your own patching method, given the usual sites stopped listing the patching requirements @ rom # 1785?

I had 2 SC SD & 2 SC Rumble SD, all with a superkey each and have since sold all bar one rumble. In hindsight, I wish I'd retained 1 SC for GBA and DS Browser...oh well, life goes on [​IMG]

18. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Although, I almost always agree with you PharaohVizier, I'd strongly disagree on this..
    It's probably all in the users opinion and personal preferences, but generally, Sakura is really way better in functionality, touch response and "sleekness" in general..
    I've tried both firmwares, and AceKard has great GUI, better than all other carts except Sakura..Having a possibility to run all media from the GUI, and yet preserving a speed and great touch response is really amazing..Best quality .DPG playback is also a plus (video encoding is better than last version of MoonShell), and the way that firmware is developed is great, it gives so much space on skinning (for people with skills to do it properly)..
    I'm using M3 Real with the hacked Sakura (I worked on initial translation), and it's true that homebrew compatibility is broken..It's also true that official english release is on it's way, but M3 Team often delays their products, so it's kind of a minus (game updates are VERY fast, if a new game comes out, and it's incompatible, firmware gets update in a few days)..

So I'd say that best looking/functioning firmware would definitely be Sakura..

19. gosp

Member gosp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    All in all...

CycloDS Evo or Acekard 2 would be the best for DS games.
    M3 Real with expansion pack is good enough for any normal user.
    GBA games go best with a Slot-2 card, such as M3 Perfect, which cost twice as much.

20. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Yes, point taken....Updating an unofficial firmware could be a pain in the ass, I'm strongly involved in this stuff, so it's no problem to me (or you at that matter), but I see how other "casual" users could have problems with it!
    M3 Team did messed up with that official Sakura release (I think it's hurting them, all those delays means less satisfied customers), but I highly hope that they plan something big (maybe RTS or something like that!)..
    However, I still think (even at this point) that Sakura really bests AceKard in GUI battle, just because of the features, and the way it's built..If I recall well, Sakura is fully usable via buttons also!!