Which do you prefer: Wii HDD or Active SD Card

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Warm Woolly Shee, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wii's 512MB of space isn't going to last, especially with the "Wii Ware" and "Neo Geo" games right around the corner. I only have about 115MB left on my Wii, due to my enormous amount of savegames.

SD Card support as it's implemented now is a pain, you have to copy saves off the card and onto the Wii before you can use them.

Two methods to fix the issue are rumored to be in the works. Which do you hope comes true:

1) A USB Wii Hard Drive
    2) A firmware update that allows games & saves to load from SD Card

2. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Both. Nintendo really need to start adding the little things.

3. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

United States
    I have heard worries that any peripheral add-on, a hard drive, balance board, anything - is bad because it splits the install base, just like Sega did with the 32X.

4. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    I don't think balance board would have a 32x effect on the Wii, thats gonna sell more Wii's for sure! It made news headlines and women are going "ooh I want it!".

I don't think the Neo Geo titles would be the memory hungry ones that we had in the 90's but I would love a HDD.

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    With regard to spit install base the usual practice of neutering stuff should work although it would have to be done right:
    crystal chronicles cube: not being able to play without several hours wages invested -> bad, losing benefits conferred by such a setup (the alternative), annoying but perfectly bearable.
    expansion pack + perfect dark N64, lack of it resulted multiplayer repercussions and impacted res and so forth: Not bad.
    Racing game (any) + steering wheel: personally I hate the things but controller vs wheel still goes.
    TV/multimedia system- lacking decent sound system.
    car lacking stereo/AC - works but damn annoying.
    rifle lacking scope

As for the main topic: SD related stuff would be nice.

6. SlyGuy

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    SD would really be the easiest. It also doesn't put a lot of pressure on the market. Then again, Nintendo could make some major $$$ on a HD attachment.

7. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Especially if it had some games or software on it or even came with some Wii Shop points. Seems likely seeing Nintendo have given away stuff with other peripherals. Wii Sports -> Wii, Wii Play ->Wiimote, Wii Shooter Pack -> Zapper, WiiFit -> Balance Board. Even the Steering wheel (or Wiil) will come free with Mario Kart.

I think if they have got a HD coming soon we've had heard of it at E3, perhaps next year they would do a HD.

8. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I think a HDD attachment would be messy. I've already got so many frigging messy cables surrounding my wii. The way that the 360 hard drive works is hot. Just clip on and it looks the part ya know.

9. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    I agree with both, I bought an SD card before I found out that you couldn't play VC games from it and I have no other SD devices.
    If a HDD were released I would want it USB powered.

And the HDD addon wouldn't create a 32x effect, have the HDD option and it doesn't do any harm there.

10. HipN

Member HipN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Firmware update to let us use ANY USB HDD.

11. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Nintendo has said that there will not be a external HDD for the Wii, so really SD card is all we can hope for.

12. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    Whats the 32x effect that keeps coming up in this thread?

13. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    If you remember the megadrive/genesis days in the nineties, Sega shot themselves in the foot by releasing countless addons for their console : segaCD, 32X, and others I surely forgot. They were commercial failures and had maybe two games worth playing (snatcher and sonic CD for the megaCD, um... for 32X.... wait, i'll find one... I remember Doom 32X being worse-looking than the SNES version, though)

I'd rather have an update that lets me connect any USB HDD, but honestly... Buying roms? You kids these days.

14. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    I really hope for being able to run stuff off the SD-card. A HDD addon would ruin the look of the small nice Wii there, IMO. And I doubt we'd need more space than SD-Cards can hold.

15. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

United States
    Would it be possible for Wii's hardware to allow a 6GB SD card with a firmware update?

16. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    From what I understand it should be possible with a firmware update.
    I have seen other devices that have updated firmwares to accept SDHC cards.

17. lanleague

Member lanleague GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think active SD card is more plausible.

18. linkycat

Newcomer linkycat Member

United States
    I vote Active SD no question.... especially if the SD Slot can incorporate SDHC. My concern is though... that they will more likely do NEITHER. I mean, you can 'store' your VC games and saves on the SD... so what is another small step in getting them to play by dragging them off and on.

The fact that this wasn't addressed in the first year of life for the Wii leads me to believe it won't be addressed at all.

19. legendofphil

United Kingdom
    We are still in the first year of life for the Wii, its still got 3-4 months left before it reachs the grand old age of 1.

I do believe that more channel spaces and active SD will come, just a case of when.

20. adgloride

Member adgloride Its A Wii Wario

United Kingdom
    If nintendo release a HDD I can't see them allowing us to use any. It'll be nintendos own. They don't even let us use a USB keyboard for the web browser. A HDD will probably never happen as the companies seem to get more and more paranoid about piracy.