Which chip is the best for D2C?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by cracker, Jul 15, 2008.

Jul 15, 2008
  1. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I know this question has probably been asked to death previously but I was wanting the current best (with price as a consideration) chip. I've ruled out the Argon and D2Pro due to the need for an addon programmer. I've ruled out the D2CKey due to just having a flex cable when cuz I want a clip capable chip and also it's an older chip that probably doesn't get as much love (updates/support). I'm not sure about the D2Sun because I haven't heard much about it. So basically it comes down to the D2CPro9 v2 and the Wasabi v2. They both seem to be pretty strong competitors so I would like some owner feedback about any problems for either of them. I *gotta* get a USB Gecko too so the $10 price difference (at FoundMy) is somewhat important between those two...

2. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    I'd say Wasabi.

3. AceAlabama

Newcomer AceAlabama Member

Canada
    Wasabi or Wasabi v2.

4. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Thanks for the suggestions. While researching the Wasabi I came across some replies on forums saying that the v1 flaked out on some Wiis with D2C drives and it was somehow related to a problem with the circuit, specifically the LED on the board so that has me somewhat worried. I see now that the v3 was just released so I might have to wait if I decide to go with the Wasabi and can't find one for a decent price in stock at a reliable reseller (very hard since I don't have a lot of patience [​IMG] ).

This leads me to a couple of other questions.

How small are the pins on the controller chip compared to that of the chip in the PS2 Slim? (I bought a Wii on ebay and it is in transit so wanted to get the rest of the wares coming. [​IMG])

What are some reliable resellers that carry them for a decent price and also has USB Geckos? Mod Central has v2s for $50 or with a clip $75 and I know they are good because I have done business with them. But that's $15 more than the FoundMy price but I've never done business with them and the only 'review' of the chip bundle is from a user saying they still hadn't received the chip and they weren't getting any replies to emails they inquiries they sent.

5. djcraze

Newcomer djcraze Advanced Member

United States
    The current D2Pros don't need a programmer, if you get one that has the D2C2 Seal on it, you can upgrade it VIA DVD.

The one I bought, was D2C2 Compatible and I could upgrade VIA DVD right after install with a WiiClip.
    D2Pro With DVD Upgrade

If you are looking for a 100% solder-less solution then go here: WiiClip, and under WiiClip extras select D2Pro chip + Solder On

Hope this helps [​IMG]

6. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Dammit man you're only adding to my dilemma! J/K Thanks for your input and the info on the D2C vs D2C2 versions of the D2Pro chip. I'm no novice to many scenes but when you first get into one there's usually a lot of conflicting info or flatout misinformation (AKA why Google is good and evil at the same time) so I always appreciate any good info ppl can provide.

Gotta love all the similarly named chips/revisions of chips/clips! [​IMG]

I'm still undecided as to whether I am getting a clip. Wish I would see a 1:1 pic of the drive chip to compare it to the PS2's. If it has the same pin size/spacing then I'll be fine doing an 'old fashioned' install but any smaller and I will opt for a clip. 3 wires on pins with only 2 side by side isn't that bad.

7. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    I had to go with the D2Pro9. [​IMG] Now just to wait for the package... [​IMG]

8. djcraze

Newcomer djcraze Advanced Member

United States
    Congrats on your Purchase! Hope it works out for you.

9. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Works great. The clip was a little annoying because I couldn't tell when it had been positioned properly and I didn't want to apply too much force on the PCB. All in all the reassembly was the biggest PITA. [​IMG]

10. Pyrofyr

Member Pyrofyr GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Nice to see a thread that actually received info in this matter. Most of this information should be stickied, it's often asked, and rarely answered.

11. OzModChips

Member OzModChips GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I hope he means d2pro and not d2cpro!

Basscially the best 2 modchips on the market are d2pro9, and wasabi v2.
    No other modchips come very close.

12. cracker
    OP

Member cracker Nyah!

United States
    Yeah we both accidently put D2CPro instead of D2Pro9 for some reason there. [​IMG]

And to answer my own question: The pin size and spacing looks to be the same as that of the controller chip on PS2 motherboards.

I could have done it traditionally but it definitely was less stressful with the clip.

[​IMG]