Which Chip For My Style Of Games?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Zero3xile, Sep 6, 2007.

Sep 6, 2007
  1. Zero3xile

Newcomer Zero3xile Newbie

Jun 16, 2007
    Ok i'm not sure which chip i should get out of the WiiKey or YOASM or Wiifree. All will cost me roughly the same to have installed and neither seem to be any better in my noob opinion [​IMG]
    What i am wanting to do with my console is listed below..
    I have a oldy pal console (non of those new leg things)

I wanna...
    - Continue to play retail Pal games perfectly.
    - Some ntsc us/jap support (i know only a few games work on pal)
    - Play gc backups like naruto gnt4
    - Hopefully expect a update which allows jap games in the future.
    - Like everyone, be able to one day play games like Bleach and Naruto Wii.

im personally aiming towards the wiikey since its the more common and mostly likely to have updates on, but is there any reason i should not?

2. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

Feb 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    with regards to the latter two items in thatr list, they maybe resolved by a non-drive modchip, no mod chip at present offers any improved compatibility for existing japanese games and as drive mods are unlikely to in the future.

wiikey (with the leaked beta firmware) will play your gc backups (gcos'd) if imports, or directly if they're local region. without the wiikey firmware update audiofix gc backups (like gnt4) will not run correctly, or at all. in which case the opensource mods will be as good as the wiikey.

you can also get a cyclowiz but to upgrade it you need a switch installed (has this changed?).

so without the firmware update the opensource chips are as good as the wiikey if not better, they certainly have better support. with the firmware update the wiikey is the better choice, seeing as wii compatibility will not get any better with current mods
  3. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 27, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, they've got a great reputation with their updates... We still have to see if they release their first update themselves (not a leaked beta), and that doesn't make it any better then other chips available already either.

It doesn't mather if you chose Wiinja DX, CycloWiz V2/3, WiiKey, WiiKeyClone, or a homebrew thingy, they'll do all the same and they will most probably all not support foreign region games that don't work atm in the future.