Which card has better support?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by alucard77, Jul 19, 2008.

Jul 19, 2008
  1. alucard77
    OP

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi All,

Currently I have a G6 Lite, and I am seriously thinking of getting a Slot 1 solution. The main problem with the G6 Lite, is that the company behind them is not updating the firmware as quickly or as much as they should. I could tell it is only a matter of time.

So I have narrowed down my selection between the Supercard DS One and the CycloDS. I have a PSP and a DS. So I only use my DS for games, as I use my PSP for movies and emulators. But I like the additional capabilities, as money is not really the issue, especially when these cards are as cheap as they are. I just have two questions I need to have answered before going forward with the purchase:

1- Which company provides better support for their cards? The company behind Supercard DS One or the company behind CycloDS.
    2- Is there any real difference between the Supercard DS One and the CycloDS in terms of playing GBA and NDS games? From what I see CycloDS has done the updates that make it equal to the Supercard DS One.

Anything you guys would like to add would be appreciated. Maybe something I didn't think of when taking these cards into mind. Thanks in advance.

2. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    i can only answer one of your questions ...

no real differences only like one or two different features ( well that i know of . )

Cyclo has :
    1. Slow - Mo ( yay we will move so slow xD )

SuperCard has :
    1. Multi Boot OS ( zomg i have the TTDS, YSMenu and SuperCard !? )
    2. Built-In-MoonShell ( not really a feature but at least you won't have to download mon sheel by it self ? )

those are the only main features that i know of so yea

Hope it Helps !

- Holt

3. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Cyclo's team is definitely better, as they're more supportive and responsive to their customers' demands.

Supercard has one feature that Cyclo doesn't have, which is an In-Game Cheat menu. In theory, this would be a very nice addition but from what I heard it's very buggy and hard to use, and the team doesn't really update it.

4. crappi3pappy

Newcomer crappi3pappy Advanced Member

United States

Supercard has slow-mo too. Also the realtime cheat engine is not buggy and has always worked very well right from when it was introduced a long time a go, the problem is and always has been is it's interface, to make it useable you have to create your own .scc files with short labels which is not hard just a bit manual.

5. GX255

Newcomer GX255 Advanced Member

United States
    CycloDS and SuperCard DS One IMO are the best out there right now. I decided to stick with the SCDS1 because of price.

6. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    You know what? If you can afford it, go with the CycloDS.

I was quite disappointed with the latest firmware of the SCDS1 SDHC. Just multi-skins, a few game fixes, and other things that aren't even close to important. They just don't seem to be fixing what's important, the GUI. The Gui is kind of slow (It's not too bad. But quite a few people find it rather sluggish. IMO, it's not bad as most of them claim.), and the ugly green text is ugly. The cheat menu is also ugly, but the bad thing is, the name of the cheats get cut off, so you can't even know what some of the cheats are. The Supercard team doesn't seem to really fix GUIs. Afterall, it's been over a while year since the original SCDS1 came out, and no fixes for any GUI fixes.

The Supercard team DOES have a reputation, for being in the Flashkart business since the DS began, and supporting their old Slot-2 cards, to this day. The don't seem to stop support their own products, which is a great thing. It's just that their updates take time, and usually doesn't have what's really important. Most of the time, it's just bug fixes, and some minor things some may or may not like. So, it may take AWHILE for them to fix some of the REAL problems of the SCDS1.

Yes, the SCDS1 DOES have a slow-mo, but it's part of a cheat file you have to download separately.

CycloDS- advantages over the SCDS1
    - Much faster GUI
    - Much more frequent updates
    - A support team that answers your questions directly on their forums (SCDS1 has a forum too, but the team doesn't reply very often)
    - Native English speaking support team
    - No BS with GUI. The cheats don't get cut off, and etc.

SCDS1-
    - Can play music without turning on Moonshell
    - Multi-save
    - In-game text reader (Cyclo is getting this. It's already in the BETA stage)
    - In-game Cheat menu.

So, if you want something with a faster GUI, more frequent updates, and a support team that answers your question frequently, get the CycloDS.

If you want something with a very low price tag, that plays music and videos without launching moonshell, with few more features then the Cyclo, but don't mind the slower GUI, get the SCDS1.

7. Enter260

Newcomer Enter260 Advanced Member

United States
    everyone says the cyclo gets more updates, but that's because it still has bugs and has to catch up on the features of the supercard. they just recently added the ingame text reader and now both carts are about on the same level. will team cyclops release another significant feature beyond this in the future? who knows.

8. Splych

Philippines
    don't forget you can view pictures without turning on moonshell too [​IMG]

9. Kaos

Member Kaos Good show!

Australia
    The CycloDS works natively with the EZ Flash 3-in-1, meaning you can load GBA games, activate rumble, and run the Opera Browser from within the CycloDS GUI.

No need for GBAExploader AT ALL.

10. lurbi

Member lurbi GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    Take a look at the changelogs of the Cyclo updates ... they do add FEATURES.
    And I would not exactly call it catch up ... they are pretty comperable in featureset.
    SCDS1 has RTG, Cyclo RTG is in beta phase.
    SCDS1 has realtime cheats.
    Cyclo has native 3in1 support (GBA, rumble) and a much faster GUI.
    It also has an in-game menu.

regarding support ...
    http://forum.supercard.cn/viewthread.php?tid=3333
    not much of a reaction there [​IMG]((

Having said all that I do own a SCDS1 ... and I think it is a good cart.
    With those changes from the supercard thread it would be muuuuuuuuuuch more useable.

11. spectral

spectral Newbie

While mostly true, the GBA support is still in beta and has problems with a certain save size(cant remember which off the top of my head) so GBA Exploader is still useful. Alternatively the roms can be patched to a different save type prior to going on the micro SD card. I was in a similar situation recently, trying to decide which new card to get and I opted for the Cyclo. One feature no one has mentioned that works on the cyclo and not on the SCDSone is wii conectivity. Although it may have been added the the SC since, I dont know.

12. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    i think the only people that should answer this is people who either (a) own both cards, or (b) people that don't have either but have done lots of research on both!

Anyway for whats its worth i would go for the SC! REASON... SC team have been here the longest and have the most experience plus have several flash carts on the market which all get support...

paul

13. Splych

Philippines
    the thing that sucks about the SuperCard's menu is that the touch screen lags .

it sometimes doesn't even respond ! i even used the touch screen with other games and nothing bad happens . the menu is one thing they gotta fix !

14. ninten__dude

Newcomer ninten__dude Member

United States
    nobody mentioned that you can put the system files in the internal memory for cyclods (i'm pretty sure...) [​IMG]

15. onneeye

Member onneeye GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I say go with the CylcoDS to replace my aging R4. I'm getting my in a couple of days from Real Hot Stuff. My acekard2 died within a week (rhs refunded my money). I have 1st and 2nd version of the SCDS1 not the SDHC version. I hate it for having to tell what speed your sd card was and still had problems with it. There both collecting dust. Thats my opinion.