Hacking Which Card do I need to play GBA games?

ShinKyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Dunno if thats the right forum but I will ask anyway. I already got a R4 card for NDS games. Now I want to play GBA games on my NDS lite too: which card do I need to play GBA games and which is the best and easiest to use?

PS: I know there is NOT a card for NDS AND GBA Games, I just need a card for GBA games only.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to respond here, because that other thread didn't mention the eWin 2in1 which in my opinion has some advantages over the EZ 3in1 (besides being cheaper). I also think that the other thread muddies the water by mentioning other slot2 carts that aren't really what ShinKyo is looking for (a simple GBA expansion cart). The two best-supported GBA expansion carts are the EZ 3in1 and the eWin 2in1.

At $14 shipped (from psxboy.com) the eWin 2in1 doesn't have rumble (that's why it's a 2in1 instead of a 3in1). It will play GBA games and it will work as extra memory needed by the Opera browser, just like the EZ 3in1. If you really want rumble (you think you want it, but you don't really want rumble, trust me) you'd have to buy a separate rumble pack for around $4. If you must have rumble (you don't really want it) the eWin rumble pack is actually better than the EZ 3in1's built-in rumble. But you don't really want rumble. Really, you don't. Rumble doesn't work for GBA games and only a few NDS games support it, it eats up battery, and it's not particularly "rumbly." Also in some cases, the rumble will apparently start rumbling for games that don't support rumble and in some cases it won't stop until you shut off the DS. Did I mention that you don't really want rumble?

As for playing GBA games (which after all is what these carts are really designed for), the EZ 3in1 has two types of memory: faster volatile memory (it can only store a game while the power is on) and slow NOR flash memory (it can store a game while the power is off). With the NOR memory you can store a game and then you can play the game as many times as you want without reloading it. The problem is that a game will take 1 to 2 minutes to store to the NOR (whereas the faster memory only takes a few seconds) so I'm not really sure why you'd want to use the NOR. Except that you have to use the slow NOR memory for larger GBA games (there isn't enough of the fast volatile memory to store large games). In all fairness, the NOR memory runs a game much faster than it stores it, so once it's stored onto the NOR, you can play it many times fast. I just don't think it's worth the trouble to avoid waiting a few seconds to load your GBA game to the faster memory (and you have no choice for larger games).

The eWin 2in1 has more of the faster memory than the EZ 3in1 -- enough to load the largest GBA game -- but no NOR memory. Because you don't have to mess with NOR memory, the eWin is easier to use.

Note that you'll need the GBA ExpLoader program to use either the EZ 3in1 or the eWin 2in1 with your R4. Get the latest version of GBA ExpLoader here: http://kotei.blog.so-net.ne.jp/archive/c530-1

-Bri

ShinKyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I have an Acekard 2: does it work with eWin 2in1 and EZ 3in1 ?

BTW I couldn't find the eWin 2in1 on dealextreme. Does it have another name?

BTW I live in germany: someone know an online shop with the ewin 2in1 which ships to germany?

Swip

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ShinKyo said:
Well I have an Acekard 2: does it work with eWin 2in1 and EZ 3in1 ?

BTW I couldn't find the eWin 2in1 on dealextreme. Does it have another name?

BTW I live in germany: someone know an online shop with the ewin 2in1 which ships to germany?
It'll work with the ak2 but i'm not sure if bliss' firmware supports it i know it supports the 3 in 1. But you can always use GBA Exploader

Dealextreme doesn't stock them but you can buy them at PSXBoy as Bri has said.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Bri said:
I'm going to respond here, because that other thread didn't mention the eWin 2in1 which in my opinion has some advantages over the EZ 3in1 (besides being cheaper). I also think that the other thread muddies the water by mentioning other slot2 carts that aren't really what ShinKyo is looking for (a simple GBA expansion cart). The two best-supported GBA expansion carts are the EZ 3in1 and the eWin 2in1.

At $14 shipped (from psxboy.com) the eWin 2in1 doesn't have rumble (that's why it's a 2in1 instead of a 3in1). It will play GBA games and it will work as extra memory needed by the Opera browser, just like the EZ 3in1. If you really want rumble (you think you want it, but you don't really want rumble, trust me) you'd have to buy a separate rumble pack for around $4. If you must have rumble (you don't really want it) the eWin rumble pack is actually better than the EZ 3in1's built-in rumble. But you don't really want rumble. Really, you don't. Rumble doesn't work for GBA games and only a few NDS games support it, it eats up battery, and it's not particularly "rumbly." Also in some cases, the rumble will apparently start rumbling for games that don't support rumble and in some cases it won't stop until you shut off the DS. Did I mention that you don't really want rumble?

As for playing GBA games (which after all is what these carts are really designed for), the EZ 3in1 has two types of memory: faster volatile memory (it can only store a game while the power is on) and slow NOR flash memory (it can store a game while the power is off). With the NOR memory you can store a game and then you can play the game as many times as you want without reloading it. The problem is that a game will take 1 to 2 minutes to store to the NOR (whereas the faster memory only takes a few seconds) so I'm not really sure why you'd want to use the NOR. Except that you have to use the slow NOR memory for larger GBA games (there isn't enough of the fast volatile memory to store large games). In all fairness, the NOR memory runs a game much faster than it stores it, so once it's stored onto the NOR, you can play it many times fast. I just don't think it's worth the trouble to avoid waiting a few seconds to load your GBA game to the faster memory (and you have no choice for larger games).

The eWin 2in1 has more of the faster memory than the EZ 3in1 -- enough to load the largest GBA game -- but no NOR memory. Because you don't have to mess with NOR memory, the eWin is easier to use.

Note that you'll need the GBA ExpLoader program to use either the EZ 3in1 or the eWin 2in1 with your R4. Get the latest version of GBA ExpLoader here: http://kotei.blog.so-net.ne.jp/archive/c530-1

-Bri

Sorry but as the eWin is only $5 cheaper than the EZ-V 3-in-1 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967) I don't think that's really valid.

Plus, games that are so large they require being loaded into the 3-in-1's NOR are few and far between, most games will happily load into the volatile memory. Not only that but (correct me if I'm wrong) you can keep a hefty game loaded into the NOR while loading most smaller ROMs in the volatile memory? This pretty much negates any real wait as chances are you won't come across many games requiring NOR thus the loading won't be often.

Another point is the fact that games loaded into NOR act like real retail GBA cartridges. Which (correct me if I'm wrong) allows linkage between games such as Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire.

In addition, you have to consider the eWin's lack of popularity compared to the EZ-V. This probably means that the developing trend of integrating GBA game launching into menus (e.g. CycloDS's new firmware, Yasu's loader) will be available to the EZ-V first since more people have it.

Finally pathetic as it may be, rumble is rumble and that's another feature the eWin does not have. Some people do not mind the rumble (I myself hate it, the EZ-V's is more of a 'buzz' than a 'rumble' but my friend does not see any problem).

seren

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm in the market for a slot 2 expansion card also. I liked the ewin expansion card because it had 32 megs of ram ( useful for homebrew apps that utilize the ram i.e. DSlinux), but the psxboy only sells them in white now.
frown.gif

I saw that the "M3 DS Real GBA Expansion Pack" in black can be had for ~25AUD. Does this have 32 megs of ram also? Would this work with an Acekard2?

Cheers

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ShinKyo said:
PS: I know there is NOT a card for NDS AND GBA Games, I just need a card for GBA games only.

just to clarify this, but you're 100% wrong

lots of slot2 cards will play NDS and GBA games, m3 series, supercard, etc

it's just the slot1 cards that are restricted to NDS only

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tikker said:
since when...?

QUOTE(seren @ May 23 2008, 12:01 PM) I'm in the market for a slot 2 expansion card also. I liked the ewin expansion card because it had 32 megs of ram ( useful for homebrew apps that utilize the ram i.e. DSlinux), but the psxboy only sells them in white now.
frown.gif

I saw that the "M3 DS Real GBA Expansion Pack" in black can be had for ~25AUD. Does this have 32 megs of ram also? Would this work with an Acekard2?

Cheers

it should work fine with GBA ExpLoader

porchemasi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
heh i made that post afew days ago in the link above
happy.gif

i still havent baught... no convincing / solid points how which is the best ... for laoding multiple GBA roms off a mini-SD card via Slot 2 usin a Slot 1 device like R4 ...

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
seren said:

I believe that the Bliss menu does not support the M3, so you would need to use GBA ExpLoader with the M3.

Swip said:
It'll work with the ak2 but i'm not sure if bliss' firmware supports it i know it supports the 3 in 1. But you can always use GBA Exploader

The Bliss menu supports both the EZ 3in1 and the eWin 2in1 without an external loader (i.e. no need to use GBA ExpLoader).

Xeijin said:
Sorry but as the eWin is only $5 cheaper than the EZ-V 3-in-1 (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2967) I don't think that's really valid.

Another point is the fact that games loaded into NOR act like real retail GBA cartridges. Which (correct me if I'm wrong) allows linkage between games such as Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire.

In addition, you have to consider the eWin's lack of popularity compared to the EZ-V. This probably means that the developing trend of integrating GBA game launching into menus (e.g. CycloDS's new firmware, Yasu's loader) will be available to the EZ-V first since more people have it.

Finally pathetic as it may be, rumble is rumble and that's another feature the eWin does not have. Some people do not mind the rumble (I myself hate it, the EZ-V's is more of a 'buzz' than a 'rumble' but my friend does not see any problem).

I said the eWin has some advantages besides being cheaper. What's invalid about that?

My point is that the NOR memory seems less than useful to me. But you're right, the price isn't all that much different, so if you feel it's worth having less of the faster volatile memory (useful not only for larger GBA games, but for the browser and for some homebrew that can use it for extra memory) and around $6 higher cost for the NOR memory and rumble, then the EZ 3in1 would be a better choice. I don't know anything about the linkage between Pokeman games, so if that's true and those games are important to you, the EZ 3in1 might be a better choice.

As for popularity, I'm not sure which is more popular, but I believe what you said about Yasu's YSMenu supporting the EZ 3in1 first simply isn't true. I believe Yasu's menu supported the eWin first since the DSTT's bundled GBA expansion cart is a repackaged eWin. Nonetheless, nearly all menu systems that support the EZ 3in1 also support the eWin. And the OP mentioned an R4 which means that he'd have to use GBA ExpLoader either way.

I agree that the addition of the rumble to the EZ 3in1 isn't really a negative (except when it apparently starts rumbling on certain games and you can't turn it off), but I just don't consider it much of a positive either. If I wanted rumble, I'd buy the eWin rumble in a separate cart for $3 or $4, which is better (quieter and a bit more "rumbly") than the built-in rumble for the EZ 3in1.

QUOTE(Joe88 @ May 23 2008, 11:26 PM) QUOTE(Tikker @ May 23 2008, 12:25 PM)
since when...?

He's right. In fact, the first carts were slot2 carts (slot1 carts only came about later). But slot2 carts require a Passkey in slot1 to play NDS games, so the slot1 carts are more popular nowadays. Most general-purpose slot2 carts are outdated and don't have auto-patching and other features of the newer slot1 carts.

Nonetheless, the OP was probably referring to GBA expansion carts which work in conjunction with a slot1 cart for playing GBA games stored on the slot1 and which work as extra memory for the browser/homebrew.

-Bri

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My response to your question,

For a simple, easy to use method of playing GBA games on your DS in conjunction your R4 would be the EZ-Flash V 3-in-1. It has PSRAM for fast loading of GBA games, NOR for loading games which will make it work just like the real thing from the DS main menu, Expansion RAM for homebrew and the Opera DS Browser, and finally rumble which isn't really necessary, but is nice to have when you feel like having some sort of feedback from your games.

I'm speaking from personal experience, as I own the 3-in-1 personally, and I quite like it. You will need the GBA EXPloader software to use, but it really is quite simple.

The ezwin may be better, but this what I think.

Also, slot 2 cards like the old fashioned M3s, and also the Cyclods microsd etc will play GBA AND NDS games, but the DS games will need to be patched for the games to be able to work in DS mode.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tikker said:
Joe88 said:
Tikker said:
since when...?

you're kidding, right?

m3 lite, g6, supercard and i'm sure others will do NDS and GBA games (obviously you need a passme, or to have flashed your DS with flashme)

http://nds.scorpei.com/SuperCard.html

http://nds.scorpei.com/M3lite.html

I suppose I could record a video of me booting a nds game with my m3, but seriously
ah, didnt know it could
is there a limit, like 32MB roms or below?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the slot-2 Supercards, I believe there used to be a 32 MB limit for DS games since it loaded the entire game into slot-2 RAM. However, this was done away with ages ago, long before I ever bought my Supercard.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on