Hacking Which backup files should I bundle when I sell my 3DS XL?

0bvious

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I am selling my 3DS XL (I upgraded to another model) and want to bundle all the original backup files for the buyer. I originally hacked my 3DS waaaaaaaay back when it was Gateway entry, and updated to all the other exploits as I went along. Having just hacked my New 3DS I realised that I don't have any of the exact same files for my old machine (sysnand.bin and essential.exefs). What I DOOO have is the sysnand.bin backed up by my Gateway a million years ago.

Is this all I need to send them? I have all these files too. Which ones should I bundle with my sale to be safe?

Thanks

Kubas_inko

"Something funny goes here."
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Not backing up or keeping a copy of the SysNAND *.bin image is just asking for trouble. Scenarios in which CTRTransfer will fail.
Well, yea. Those are super rare, so it is still pretty safe without it anyways. I know that backups are important and you should do one. But from my own experience, I needed it only once (from like 50+ consoles I hacked over the years). And even then, that one could have been fixed via ctrtransfer.
I am not saying to not do any backups tho,

Last edited by Kubas_inko,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really nowadays. But that's probably just me as I don't mind doing CTRTransfer when I screw something up.
Most typically encountered softbricks are isolated within the "CTRNAND" partition. I advocate making a SysNAND *.bin image to have on hand in the event a softbrick occurs outside this NAND region. If or when this ever happens, not having a SysNAND *.bin image would be the difference between restoring your 3DS system with intact private data or having to jump through hoops fixing the 3DS firmware with Lazarus3DS and borrowing someone else's NAND files.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Most typically encountered softbricks are isolated within the "CTRNAND" partition. I advocate making a SysNAND *.bin image to have on hand in the event a softbrick occurs outside this NAND region. If or when this ever happens, not having a SysNAND *.bin image would be the difference between restoring your 3DS system with intact private data or having to jump through hoops fixing the 3DS firmware with Lazarus3DS and borrowing someone else's NAND files.
I know how it is.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know how it is.
I'm being confrontal with you because your first post sounds like you're telling him not to back up the SysNAND.

I just want anyone reading this thread to not come way with the impression they should ignore making one or treat the file as optional.

Then again, @0bvious or anyone can do whatever they want to their systems. Just pray one doesn't experience a softbrick that can't be fix with the methods available to us but might have been fixable if their SysNAND image was kept.

Kubas_inko

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I'm being confrontal with you because your first post sounds like you're telling him not to back up the SysNAND.

I just want anyone reading this thread to not come way with the impression they should ignore making one or treat the file as optional.

Then again, @0bvious or anyone can do whatever they want to their systems. Just pray one doesn't experience a softbrick that can't be fix with the methods available to us but might have been fixable if their SysNAND image was kept.
That's definitely not how I meant it. I was just expressing my current opinion. They are nowadays not as important as in the early days (when you were able to brick your console just by hacking it and you can repair most bricks via CTRTransfer), but they are still very much useful when you screw up (in any way).
Then I suggested that if he wants to give the buyer a backup, the most current one would do it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's definitely not how I meant it. I was just expressing my current opinion. They are nowadays not as important as in the early days (when you were able to brick your console just by hacking it and you can repair most bricks via CTRTransfer), but they are still very much useful when you screw up (in any way).
Then I suggested that if he wants to give the buyer a backup, the most current one would do it.
Late-ish reply. Went down to my local Starbucks for a Matcha green tea frap to cool down my temper before writing any further (in case I were to write something stupid).

With this context, I'm in agreement that not having a SysNAND *.bin image these days isn't as devastating as it was backed then when it comes to dealing with softbricks that originate in the CTRNAND partition. I can only imagine the flack early custom firmware development was receiving when someone bricked their 3DS and was foolish in not making a NAND backup to fallback on. This is must have been the strongest argument those with Gateway or Sky3DS flashcarts were making when not wanting to switch over to menuhax / A9LH / B9S.

If @0bvious o3DSXL is hacked with the latest CFW setup, 11.9 firmware, and everything is in working with no missing NAND files, backing up the SysNAND before selling it is just courtesy as a seller at that point. It's really on the buyer to research how to use CFW and take care of the 3DS.

So, just giving the buyer a copy of the sysnand.bin is enough?

Thanks

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the sysnand already, so all is good.
That sysnand.bin looks old. Typical GodMode9 NAND backups are named like this:
  • ######_sysnand_XX########_000.bin
I don't remember reading whether or not GodMode9 is compatible restoring the 3DS with a Gateway made NAND image.

And please stop bickering. It's tedious.
Gotta make it a point about the importance of having a SysNAND *.bin image. I dislike people who know better in taking preventative care of their 3DS systems but choose not to. *

Edit - * Not saying that @Kubas_inko fits in this category.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: AikoT_T

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"