Hardware Which aspect ratio is best for me?

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
Hi, I need to ask one question about the widescreen aspect ratio for the Wii. Which one is best for my softmodded Wii; 16:9, or 4:3? If 4:3, which aspect ratio is best for my TV to display the Wii's video output at 4:3; fullscreen or just letterboxed?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
16:9 is best if you have a hdtv

The thing though, is that Wii is not really 16:9. It's actually featuring a native output signal in 4:3. Games use a clever trick called anamorphic widescreen, squishing a 16:9 image into 4:3. It's then stretched to the proper ratio on hdtv.

If you want to display 4:3 on your tv, the letterboxed (or is it pillarboxed?) option will work.

CatmanFan

Anxious and regretful
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Morocco
16:9 is best if you have a hdtv

The thing though, is that Wii is not really 16:9. It's actually featuring a native output signal in 4:3. Games use a clever trick called anamorphic widescreen, squishing a 16:9 image into 4:3. It's then stretched to the proper ratio on hdtv.

If you want to display 4:3 on your tv, the letterboxed (or is it pillarboxed?) option will work.
I know that Wii isn't really 16:9, PS3 and Xbox 360 are 16:9 though. I do have an HDTV.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well, anamorphic signals _are_ 16:9 also, only without square pixels.
DVD movies in 16:9 used anamorphic video, and they were called 16:9 (because they were).

PS: Actually, not even DVD movies in 4:3 had square pixels, because both the old NTSC and PAL standards defined different kind of rectangular pixels.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: GreyWolf

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1