Hacking Which 3DS, which flashcard? (overview 01/13/15)

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've recently decided to finally get myself a 3DS plus flashcard (or similar solution for playing 3DS game backups). I don't want someone to have to explain everything to me, so after reading several hours reading in this forum I think I already know most of what I have to know. The purpose of this thread (at least for me) is so that you can correct me if I'm wrong.

Which 3DS to buy?
For the 3DS, we basically have five choices, the original 3DS, the 3DS XL (with a bigger screen), the 2DS (without 3D functionality, different design) and the New 3DS / New 3DS XL (higher CPU power, more buttons, better 3D effect). Currently, the new 3DS is available in Japan and Australia.

Important stuff to know:
  • The 3DS and the 3DS XL come with a original FW version smaller or equal 9.2 (at least there are no known instances of 3DS / 3DS XL with a higher original FW).
  • The 2DS comes with a FW version higher 6.0 and smaller or equal 9.2.
  • The N3DS and N3DS XL come with an original FW version starting at 9.0. Some have an original version > 9.2, which is bad for you. Also look here.
  • The FW version is of importance when deciding which flashcard to buy.
Which flashcard / other solution?
At the present time we can choose from three different solutions. Flashcards other than the listed two are either clones or pure DS mode flashcards. Also, look here and here (MTcard seems to be one to watch for, although it looks like a GW clone rather than something else).
Notes on the Gateway (GW)
The Gateway is the older and therefore more established one of the two 3DS flashcards. It is known to be supported by a dedicated team of developers. All current known games are supported by the GW and it is highly unlikely that Nintendo will find a way to lock the Gateway out (as they have not until now).
  • There are no different revisions of the Gateway.
  • Supports FW version 9.2 and 4.0 till 4.5. Best supported FW version is 4.0 till 4.5.
  • N3DS and N3DS XL are supported, but you will need a specific copy of Ocarina of Time or Cubic Ninja (the latter being recommended) for the exploit. This in turn means additional cost and effort on your side. You won't get these two games cheap.
  • Using the GW on 3DS & 3DS XL with FW 9.2 needs a web exploit, which in turn needs the 3DS to be connected to the internet -> there is some danger in the web connection triggering the dreaded update nag screen. And, yeah, I know, there's also a trick using an Android phone as access point for a safer exploit.
  • Any FW version between 4.5 and 9.2 can be downgraded to 4.2 using the Gateway. The process of downgrading is relatively safe (if you read the instructions and make your backups, of course!) although the Gateway team still advices caution.
  • Newer FW versions can be used via EmuNAND, and if anything goes wrong in EmuNAND, we can still go back using a earlier backup.
  • Once the initial setup is completed we can disable all WLAN access points in SYSNAND, effectively making an accidental update of SYSNAND impossible.
Notes on the Sky3DS
The Sky3DS is relatively new, therefore not much can be said about longterm support by the Sky3DS team. It is region locked, meaning that you can only play game backups from your region. It currently works with all known 3DS FW versions, but it is very likely that it will be locked out by a later version of the 3DS FW.
  • You have to be careful to buy rev.2 of the card (with the blue button). Otherwise you are limited to only 10 specific games forever, or you have to use some rather buggy exploits to trick the card and use more than the mentioned 10.
  • There is no EmuNAND, only SYSNAND. So, you have to be very careful updating your FW version (never without making sure it's still compatible), or, for that matter, using the Internet on your 3DS.
  • Playing DLC content and eShop games or installing .CIA files (as with the other two methods) is not possible with the Sky3DS.
  • Games only work once they are in the Sky3DS database - so future game support depends on the work of the Sky3DS team.
  • The Sky3DS is much simpler to use than the GW, therefore maybe a better / safer solution for inexperienced users.
Notes on the Palantine CFW
Well, I'm a bit stumped by this one, so I have to summarize what I think to have understood from reading so far. The Palantine CFW is based on some leaked work that's considered unfinished and unstable by the original developers. The CFW enables playing game backups from .CIA files, which can be converted from any .3DS / .3DZ file.
  • The CFW exploit only works for 3DS FW versions 4.0 till 4.5 and it still needs a compatible DS mode flashcard (for example the R4i Gold, which is reliable and much cheaper than the GW or Sky3DS).
  • However, there is a method of downgrading any 3DS FW (3DS & 3DS XL) up to 9.2 back to 4.2 even without the GW card.
  • Due to the FW version requirement, the Palantine CFW won't work on N3DS, N3DS XL or even 2DS.
  • Some games may not be compatible due to 3DS FW version between 4.0 and 4.5 (which cannot be upgraded for this one!)
  • Using .CIA files has the downside of you having to install game backups to the 3DS internal SD. This can be a problem if you want to have several games ready to play at once, as SD cards (as used by the 3DS) are often more expensive than MicroSDs (as used by flashcards).
  • The CFW method is still relatively new, and given what I've read so far possibly somewhat dangerous. It is also somewhat tedious, as starting up the CFW may take 10 minutes or longer every time you turn your 3DS on.
  • You also need to make sure to never ever upgrade beyond 3DS FW version 4.5, meaning that you won't be able to use internet or any cool features newer 3DS FWs might have to offer.
Quick summary
The Gateway is the most reliable and therefore safest (if used correctly) option. The Sky3DS is the simplest to use, and the CFW exploit is the cheapest. Only the Sky3DS works properly for the N3DS / N3DS XL models and for FW versions > 9.2 as of now. What you choose is up to you of, course. Always consult a guide or tutorial when initially setting up your flashcard / CFW.

Important Note on 3DS FW updates
This is relevant for both flashcards and the CFW exploit. As you know, you should never ever update your 3DS FW version without first making sure your flashcard / CFW will still work. If you connect your 3DS to the internet in SYSNAND mode you may get a screen nagging you to updated your FW,-this will only go away if you reset your SYSNAND, in turn losing settings and eShop purchases.You also have to be careful using original game cartridges, as these very often come with their own FW updates on the cart.

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The 3DS only supports SD card sizes of up to 8GB?
What do you mean? I'm using a almost full 16GB card on my 3ds XL with no problem, and many use bigger SD cards...

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh my god yes, this is awesome! I was looking for something like this..
Thank you - we're here to help each other :).

The 3DS only supports SD card sizes of up to 8GB?
What do you mean? I'm using a almost full 16GB card on my 3ds XL with no problem, and many use bigger SD cards...
I'll fix this.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't make the blanket statement that SD cards are more expensive that mSD. I bought a mix of Samsung and Sandisk 32GB mSD and SD FOR $13 each and. 64GB mSD for $24. It all depends on your region and current sales. You can also use a mSD with adapter in the SD slot.

Good analysis. The target user should also be taken into account. I am training my 9'year old on the GW successfully, his first flashcart was an Acekard 2i when he was 4 or 5 and I had to lock the start menu down becuase he would screw around with stuff. A Gateway could be to much for a young child.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fixed some typos and added some additional information.

Thorasgar, you're right, for inexperienced users the Sky3DS is the safer option. If set up (and that means installing games, too) by an experienced user, even the CFW option might be safer than the GW in that case. In both cases, though, you have to make sure that your inexperienced user does not access the internet or update the 3DS FW any other way.

apoptygma

Trophies
XP
Country
This is going to sou d harsh but... These kinds of guides should be done by those with better knowledge. There is a lot of misinformation and guesswork here which only leads to more confusion in the long run.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is going to sou d harsh but... These kinds of guides should be done by those with better knowledge. There is a lot of misinformation and guesswork here which only leads to more confusion in the long run.
I agree, but after searching for several hours, there is no such overview guide other than my tread here or on any other forum. I'm only putting together the information that I found so far. If there is misinformation in there, I'm willing to fix it, of course.

D

Deleted-355425

The New N3DS also comes in XL, there is a PAL/Euro version out now too which can be brought from Australia, so you can pick that or the JAP versions.

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely worth getting a New 3DS, I've recently got a New 3DS Ambassador Bundle and Super Stable 3D is a real game changer.

Reactions: satel

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should the MT-Card be included in here? It is technically a GW clone but it has its own featureset in some ways unlike r4i and 3dslink and orange3ds.
d0k3: I dunno if this will help, the info here is pretty outdated though. I did attempt to maintain a guide, but it got really difficult really fast. :/ You have my explicit permission to use this as a template. :) Good luck, lemme know if you need help.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/comparison-of-3ds-flash-carts-features-on-hiatus-9-3.358243/

From what I've read so far, my personal opinion on the MT-Card is that it's not worth considering the purchase, as, even with its extras, it is still an inferior GW clone (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, thanks Ryukouki for giving me permission to use the information in your thread! There is already a link to your guide in my text. I'm still hesitating adding GW clones to this list, though, as for basically all of those the rather small price difference doesn't justify the downsides vs the original GW (my personal opinion here). Also, there was that one time several 3DS where bricked by GW clones because of code the GW team hid in their FW, and to be honest, I'm still scared of that.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Mods, can this be moved to the Tutorials & FAQs section? I'd also be willing to update it to include recent information.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient