overlord00

A motherfucking birdplane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I currently have 2 360's,
one Jtag'd and one not.
both are currently sumsung 1st gen 360s.
both have been RRoD fixed.

my mate is now offering me a trade for my non-jtag'd box (8xxx update) for either of 2 360s... both still with the blades dash.
the delema is;
-the samsung has been RROD'ing lately, even though it has been "fixed"... but has the hackable samsung drive.
-the other is a hitachi, with the "unhackable" drives... ie really gay to hack without going out and buying probes and whatnot.

(would there be any reason to go the rrod-prone box, even though my current jtag is not DVD-ROM hacked?)

i would be jtag'ing either box anyway, so gbatemp; which should i choose, and why?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I would say go with the 2009 one. If you JTAG it, flashing the drive doesn't even matter since you'd likely be running off a HDD anyway. Getting the newer one means RRoD is far less likely to happen, if at all. It also uses less power, produces less heat, costs less in electricity, etc.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Spoof the drives and swap and give the crappier one? Also, I thought the only ones that need any sort of probe was the lite-ons.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
cant spoof the hitachi (i think hitachi.... maybe you are correct with the liteon... but dont think so... and anyway, it changes nothing).
fair enough, since HDD loading, i guess DVD loading isnt really necesary... and if i ever need to rip games... illegit games, im screwed.
but yeah, new = better. drive = gay. gocha

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keep Hitachi one as its not rroding an newer

im pretty sure your facts are completely wrong. Hitachi does not require a probe, liteon 74850C does. and the liteon 83850C V2 and 93450C require cutting traces soldering n stuff. Since you can J-tag im guessin u can solder. the probe can be made with two resistor and a transistor, well and serial port, 5v supply, and a pin or some sort.

Also you can spoof Hitachi, but you can't spoof liteon running LT as another drive. Hitachi ones were a bit complicated tho, but not really.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
both were RRoD, just that the samsung has done it more recently, and with the fix.
looking at sites to hack the DVD-ROM drives for the hitachi DG16D2S; and they all require some sort of external device be it probe or whatever, stuff i just dont wanna go buy/fix/make-my-own.
yeah wtfisausername; came across this http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/X...D2S_Extract_Key and was depressed by its lack of simpleness... the samsungs are so easy.

and yeah, i did do my own jtag'ing... ruining the points on an updatable xbox (ie the one i am giving him), then doing it for real (and on the underside) of my current jtag'd box.

on a further note, a jtag'd box CANNOT read "backup" games... it, as far as i can tell, does nothing...

EDIT:
XEMENU cant even backup legit games, i am using freestyle dash to dump the dodgy demo you get with the arcade console...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just a thought but if you are going to JTAG the system you can read the DVD key from anything you like, Xellous which you should be installing even allows you to dial in via web browser and grab it.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure if there was sarcasm there, english isnt my first language...
Anyway the confusion I see is that you said "hitachi DG16D2S" it is not hitachi. DG16D2S is a liteon(/Philips) drive and the guide you link refers to a liteon. anyway the simple key extractor is this: (which i think is much eaiser than a jtag)
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=668247
As with jtag xboxes i dont know much about what homebrew and stuff you can do on it. i think there may be a usb loader type thing for it.

overlord00

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well, whatever the drive really is (he reckons its a hitachi), its one of the gay-er ones...
cbf really going through all that for a DVD-ROM.

FAST6196; what exactly is Xellous, a modded version of Xell yes, but can you just obtain the keys from the NAND dump you get using some tool (forget what its called)... you get the CPU key from xell (in which XBR has as part of its install) then use the program to obtain all the other info... so unless you can update the firmware on the drive via that, wouldnt XBR be better anyway... but maybe explain what it actually is. would be nice. and thanks.

wtfisausername; yeah, i use XeMENU... loading "ISOs", ie USB loader. and thanks for that link. nice to know it would be that easy to do... however, i dont think i will do that.

lenselijer; i could certainly do that, but also, i dont think i will.

on a further note: is there any reason to flash my DVD firmware on my current samsung jtag to the 1.6 no stealth? any reason? or keep it stock?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The drive you described is a liteon, the age of the console means it is all but certain to be a liteon unless it is has been spoofed.

Xellous is a modified version of Xell as you say (the changelog/featurelist in the NFO is as good as anything I will type today: http://www.xbins.org/nfo.php?file=xboxnfo1782.nfo ) but with a bunch of nice features. As you asked yes you can decrypt the nand with the corresponding keyvault and grab the keys via something like 360 Flash Dump Tool (there have been others but while I have Xellous and/or the necessary tools I do not really see much need) but being able to dump the drive serial via web browser is so much nicer (you could even copy and paste it into your chosen app if you wanted)- dumping the DVD keys is usually the hardest part of flashing a 360 (what you need the probes for). Once you have the key you only need to flash it back and that can be done with only a compatible chipset for all drives out there.

Just to clarify though if you have a JTAG hacked 360 and XBR you will still have Xell(ous) on there- you can access it by booting with the drive ejected.
Stolen from somewhere (I had it kicking around in my notepad from when I did mine the other day):
"Rename xell-2f.bin to updslot0.bin and place in the root of your USB drive or stick
In flash360 press button B (write update area of rebooter)
Then button A (write updslot0.bin (xell) )"

"Any reason", a friend comes over with a copied disc? I must admit GOD installs and USB loading is my chosen way of loading stuff these days though. Edit must pay more attention, 1.6NS is the best offline DVD firmware and is damn near futureproof so yes if only to stop you having to do it in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Coming.