Hardware Where to still get a good Wii2Hdmi? (Europe)

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

So I still use my wii a lot, this because I have a lot of original GC games that I still love to play.
The easiest way to do this is with my Wii. Takes up less space than a gamecube and got component.

But I see that newer tv's don't support component. So I'm looking for a solution and found this.

Any idea where to still get a good one?

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxikor Almost every gamecube and wii game can be patched to run at 480p with no major visual oddities and with the retrotink only supporting up to 480i, it is only really intended for usage with consoles up to the N64.
The WiiDual has the best quality with the digital signal straight from the Wii, but an OSSC delivers pretty good results for converting the analog signal back to digital for resolutions including 480p.

Last edited by Wuigi,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxikor No it hasn't. I have one and it was a bad purchase for recording VHS tapes as the retrotink crashes with the unstable signal and my PS2 with 480p is also unusable with it.

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mainly use it to play my large gamecube collection. Currently still using component. But probably when I buy a new tv that won't be an option anymore.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii2hdmi from aliexpress

That's interesting. Which of the dozens of questionable sellers up there is selling a reliable one?

Yeah, I thought so.

Wii2HDMI adapters are some of the worst devices you can buy for your Wii. You can google this site, reddit or just read reviews on Amazon to see what pieces of garbage most of them are. They were made by a variety of Chinese/Indonesian factories under the same name and most were junk. It's a shame Nintendo never made one themselves. If my next TV didn't have component... Well, I'd make sure to get one that did. Or I'd get a component to HDMI converter. There is no better output for a stock Wii than the Nintendo component cables.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most modern TV's still accept component, I thought?

In either case, OP, any of those Wii2HDMI converters are pretty terrible in terms of quality, but they do at least work. As a previous poster stated, they are all made in the same place, just different resellers. Just buy whichever is cheapest, basically.

The best option is (as someone stated) the WiiDual, but that is expensive and difficult to install (if you can even find it). The OSSC is also pretty expensive, but may be a worthwhile investment as it can be used with a variety of sources to enable HDMI output.

Hilariously, the Wii is actually worse than the Gamecube (at least the DOL-001 models) for getting digital video. All Wii's only output in analog - the early Gamecubes actually have a digital out.

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Goodluck getting the Nintendo component cables for cheap, because you won't.

I already got component cables. And they really aren't that expensive for the wii.
We aren't talking about the gamecube ones here...

Most modern TV's still accept component, I thought?

In either case, OP, any of those Wii2HDMI converters are pretty terrible in terms of quality, but they do at least work. As a previous poster stated, they are all made in the same place, just different resellers. Just buy whichever is cheapest, basically.

The best option is (as someone stated) the WiiDual, but that is expensive and difficult to install (if you can even find it). The OSSC is also pretty expensive, but may be a worthwhile investment as it can be used with a variety of sources to enable HDMI output.

Hilariously, the Wii is actually worse than the Gamecube (at least the DOL-001 models) for getting digital video. All Wii's only output in analog - the early Gamecubes actually have a digital out.

While I understand your arguments, for now I think the component cables comming from my wii are actually quite good picture wise. I know it might not be picture perfect, but using my old gamecube and finding component or modding it. Or getting an OSSC or WiiDual also seems like quite expensive just to get just that little bit better image.

I read the Wii2HDMI is actually good when you get your hands on a good one. But yeah for now my component cables still work on my current tv. And Maybe like someone suggested I should just get a component to HDMI converter. At least I can use that device on my PS2 and Xbox original that both also have component cables. But yeah time will tell I guess.

And maybe you are right and there are still a lot of new TV's that have component input. Let's hope so.

Last edited by vree,

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Attachments

• e2Jvfk3KT9GNyUck2b%KzA.jpg
    e2Jvfk3KT9GNyUck2b%KzA.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 296
Reactions: Alexander1970

vree

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a wii to hdmi adapter a month ago because I got a new 55" TV at home. Im pretty happy with it: https://www.amazon.de/PORTHOLIC-Con...ŽÕÑ&keywords=wii+2+hdmi&qid=1580715218&sr=8-6.
Of course it doesn't upscale and you can see pixels more than on the previous TV. But since the Wii can't output more than 480P, I think the output is not that bad.

Yeah that seems to look ok. And now that I see your setup I really need to someday update my wii to the latest softmod and also make it run gamecube backups. You never know when that lens will crap out >_<.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yeah that seems to look ok. And now that I see your setup I really need to someday update my wii to the latest softmod and also make it run gamecube backups. You never know when that lens will crap out >_<.
Since Nintendont is supported by USB Loader GX now, I can have both in one library which is pretty cool. But I think we won't see updates for USB Loader GX soon, since the creator of it isn't active anymore. Idk what happened.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: byes