Gaming Where to start with Pokemon?

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never played a Pokemon game, and always felt as though it wasn't my kind of thing. But something is making me want to give it a try. Where is the best place to start? Is it better to start off from the very beginning, or is there a better game later on which could get me hooked before delving into the back catalogue?

Reactions: LuigiXL

Bros.Life

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh my god! Never played pokemon? You haven't had a childhood.

But seriously, go to Crystal. Or you can pick HeartGold or SoulSilver if you want something more remastered. But Crystal has an unique storymode.

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even though I played Red, Blue, Yellow a LOT as a kid, I think compared to the later entries, it's very unhelpful. Items to learn moves are one use only. No run button (always needs to open item menu for bike instead of assigning it to select button), no idea what ANY of the moves does because it lacks description in game.

I recommend Fire Red/Leaf Green. They are remakes of the original Generation One games but you can also have the option to transfer them to the DS games (recommend Heart Gold/Soul Silver, remakes of Generation Two) and after that, get Black/White because that's the version that can let you transfer the DS Pokemons to the 3DS version via the Pokebank so you can finally get into the 3DS Pokemon and try out the X/Y which gives you a grasp of Pokemon in 3D.

Finally comes Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, remakes of Generation 3 so in theory, you could transfer your GBA Pokemon all the way to the 3DS!

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't worry about which one... They all have the forced 20 minute explanation and tutorial which will bore you to death. (waiting for the day when you start a new game and your first choice can "yes, I know how to play Freakin Pokemon" and then you just start....)

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I played Red, Blue, Yellow a LOT as a kid, I think compared to the later entries, it's very unhelpful. Items to learn moves are one use only. No run button (always needs to open item menu for bike instead of assigning it to select button), no idea what ANY of the moves does because it lacks description in game.

I recommend Fire Red/Leaf Green. They are remakes of the original Generation One games but you can also have the option to transfer them to the DS games (recommend Heart Gold/Soul Silver, remakes of Generation Two) and after that, get Black/White because that's the version that can let you transfer the DS Pokemons to the 3DS version via the Pokebank so you can finally get into the 3DS Pokemon and try out the X/Y which gives you a grasp of Pokemon in 3D.

Finally comes Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, remakes of Generation 3 so in theory, you could transfer your GBA Pokemon all the way to the 3DS!
. . . K.O. . . . you win!

Bros.Life

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I just think the new pokemon games have a pretty easy catchability rate. I remember spending around 30 ultra balls to catch some legendary pokemons in the old games.

Reactions: AyanamiRei

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People are usually going to recommend the game(s) they started with. The Pokémon games are pretty much all the same thing, so it doesn't really matter where you begin. If I were you, I would start with FireRed or LeafGreen because they're remakes of the originals and include the most iconic Pokémon. Honestly, they're not very long either.

However, if you don't care about starting with the originals, I would just play Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire because they have the latest features and are what most people are playing right now. Some of the fun of Pokémon is trading and/or battling with other people, and you're most likely to get that with the Generation VI games.

Osga21

Full Time Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Doesn't really matter where you begin, the story does not have any continuation so you can just play whichever one you want first, XY or ORAS may be a good start

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In this order

Firered or leaf green, emerald, platinum, black or white, black 2 or white 2, X or Y and Omega ruby or alpha sapphire.

O boy, you got a lot of catching up to do. I do suggest to play crystal and ruby or sapphire. Totally different experience even to their remakes.

Last edited by heartgold,
Reactions: Deleted User

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks everyone. I'm going to start with Fire Red. I'm interested in the pairing of the games (e.g. Fire Red/Left Green, X/Y etc). Are the games in each pairing completely different games, or just variations on the same game?

yoshinatsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If you wanna play them (pseudo)chronologically, I'd suggest either FireRed/LeafGreen, which are great remakes of the original games (also much improved imho, and I've been playing since '99).
I wouldn't bother with the original games. They're old, buggy, clunky, and ugly.
If you wanna be impressed by starting with the pinnacle of the series, go with HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Last edited by yoshinatsu,

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone. I'm going to start with Fire Red. I'm interested in the pairing of the games (e.g. Fire Red/Left Green, X/Y etc). Are the games in each pairing completely different games, or just variations on the same game?
Same game. But each version has exclusive Pokemons that can only be found in their version and must be traded over if you want to complete the Pokedex.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup