Gaming Where to start with Pokemon?

Demifiend

The bored one
Trophies
XP
Country
Could be any game really, the only "sequel" to Pokemon main games were Pokemon Gold/Silver in the Kanto part (Again, "sequel"), there's also Fire Red/Leaf Green which are remakes of the first two games (JP versions anyway) so that's the best place to start in a story standpoint, if you find it a little bit difficult, you can just play Pokemon X/Y then.

My recommendation would be this: Pokemon Leaf Green/Fire Red > Pokemon HG/SS > Pokemon ORAS or straight R/S > Pokemon Diamond/Pearl or the definitive version Platinum > Pokemon Black/White > Pokemon B/W 2 > Pokemon X/Y.

That's about it, you can also play the spinoff pokemon games, like Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon Conquest, depending on what you would prefer to play, most spinoff Pokemon games are very good tho.

Oh I see. So do you have to complete both versions of each pair to properly complete it?

Yes, you can use emulators to get them easily, I think VBA allowed you to "connect" two emulators in order to do multiplayer things, and that includes the trading aspect of the Pokemon games, not so sure about the DS emulators though.

But yes, you have to complete the two versions, is kinda like FE Fates except that the changes between one game and the other one are mostly Pokemon related, with some small changes of plot instead of changing everything alongside.

Last edited by Demifiend,

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh I see. So do you have to complete both versions of each pair to properly complete it?
You don't have to complete it (ie, reach the end credits) but you will find yourself putting in the hours to reach the areas to find the exclusive Pokemons. Here's my tip:

Get Fire Red.
Complete the game and grab the exclusives from that version.
Get Leaf Green
Transfer all your Pokemon over to it.

Last edited by Harsky,

Jonna

Some sort of musician.
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you have some one with the other game, do you need to get it?

My girlfriend always gets the opposite game I do, so we trade a bunch. That works, correct?

Rizzorules

"What are you doing?" "Something unexpected."
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have played Pokemon Pearl, Diamond, Platinum, Soul Silver, Pokemon Black, Pokemon white 2, X, Y, Omega Ruby and Alpha sapphire but my favorite one is Pokemon pearl maybe because is the first one i ever played. You should play pokemon pearl one day, Soul silver is cool because you need to get 16 badges and you can get 2 starters

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice To know, GameYob has a Link cable simulator... so you could trade w/ someone else who has GameYob (for Gen 1 and 2, even tho Gen 1 VC is able to use the IR Sensor)

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People may not realize this but the pokemon games have an actual timeline that you can follow if you pay attention and as for what game to start with I would say Pokemon Yellow its gen 1 and just came out on the eShop.

iAqua

Trophies
Country
United Kingdom
If you dont mind going back down to lower graphics X/Y Or OR/AS. In my opinion I would start with X Alpha Sapphire or Soul Silver.

HowDoI?

Trophies
XP
Country
I would just get one of the two and let your friend, sibling, or boyfriend get the other so you can trade.

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece
I'm a Pokemon fan since I was 7 years old.

Go with Yellow(or Red/Blue since they have the MissingNo and Mew glitches. :P) > Crystal > Emerald > Platinum > Black/White > Black2/White2 > X/Y > ΩR/αS

Most of the time, there are 3 games. 2 come out at the same time with different legendary mascots, and then 3rd one kind of combines the two in one(it has a new mascot as well). You could play eg Diamond + Platinum, but you would be playing the same game again(as Platinum is the same game as Diamond + offers much more), if you have the time.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Fire red/leaf green then soul silver/heart gold

Then black and white

Don't burn yourself too much, play them on regular basis.

Reactions: Queno138

RicardoAtanazioS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I know you made your choice, but just to add some things.

Personally, I think Gen IV/V lack the charisma of the other generations. So after FireRed, I would go to HeartGold/SoulSilver, then OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire. Even though X/Y are great games, and I really love them, I don't think you would lose too much by skipping them, since OR/AS do an incredible job in terms of gameplay variety, and, besides customizing clothes, there're nothing you would miss from X/Y afaik.

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow, no love for generation 1 and 2? you are all kids.

GOLD and SILVER were the first versions to offer two regions. HeartGold & SoulSilver are simply remakes, with some added pokemon.
The best generation to start from, to really appreciate how far its come, it generation 1 and 2 (Red Blue Yellow, Gold Silver Crystal). Then skip all the GBA crap and jump to the DS

Last edited by N64,
Reactions: cvskid and Ricken

HowDoI?

Trophies
XP
Country

GOLD and SILVER were the first versions to offer two regions. HeartGold & SoulSilver are simply remakes, with some added pokemon.
The best generation to start from, to really appreciate how far its come, it generation 1 and 2 (Red Blue Yellow, Gold Silver Crystal). Then skip all the GBA crap and jump to the DS
Remakes m8, just remakes!

fr3quency

Trophies
Website
fr3quency.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Greece

Then skip all the GBA crap and jump to the DS

Then skip all the GBA crap

loled irl. You clearly don't know what you say. GBA Pokemon era was one of the best; the same as the DS and all the other eras. I cannot take you seriously.

Last edited by fr3quency,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs